“Nice food and decoration but overpriced and tiny portions”

Ulysses Greek Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ulysses Greek Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #240 of 2,310 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on Bristol Street in Birmingham, Ulysees is a bright and vibrant Greek themed restaurant perfect for parties and fun meals with friends. The fantastically kitsch dining room - with colourful frescoed walls and plaster columns - is home to belly dancers, disco music and a live bouzouki band. Classic Greek dishes such as moussaka - layers of potatoes, courgettes and minced beef topped with bechamel; keftedes - meatballs in a rich tomato herb sauce; and chicken souvlaki marinated in olive oil and lemon juice; are served alongside the finest organic wines from the Pelopennese. Popular for birthdays, hen's nights, corporate events and office parties, Ulysees is a unique and entertaining venue for memorable nights out. FREE CAR PARKING
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went here having read about entertainment and music, and with the hope of having a different experience. I had seen the menu and prices before hand, and thought it was a bit expensive but that this would be made up for with the entertainment. However I arrived at a very dark restaurant, the lights were not completely on and it was cold inside.

I had some drinks before going to the table but soon had to stop due to the prices. I was spoiled for choice with the menu which had a nice selection. The food however was a disappointment. Starter was ok but I ordered a vegetarian platter as a main. Expecting a selection of different things the dish arrived and was simply a vegetable bake!!!!! Admittedly it was nice but not what I was expecting and far too small considering the price.

Each meal was supposed to be served with chips but we were given one bowl between two!!! Having paid so much I had hoped I would be full up at the end of the meal but no, I could easily have had a bag of chips on the way home!!!!

The entertainment I had looked forward to also never came about. We saw a musician setting up while eating our meal, but an hour later there was still no music. It finally started as we were leaving but by this time I had run out of money and any enthusiasm to stay!!!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have been to this restaurant three times, once for valentines day the year before last and the September for my birthday, and last September for my birthday. You can't fault this restaurant, the food is excellent and the decor is true Greek, the staff (some are Greek) are very attentative.
There is a singer who is not that good (but he is good for a laugh) and a belly dancer. I would definitely recommend this restaurant

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I would never eat at this restaurant again even if it were free 18.00 a head for small portions of food ,the desserts were child size very unimpressed oh and the coke was flat even if it was out of a bottle. The coffee was also disgusting.
Felt very let down and would not recommend going there ever.

2  Thank Hawkwind1969
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Took a group of 20 mates for a meal at this venue and suffice to say it had all the ingredients for a Greek Tragedy. The venue was freezing they had 3 heaters around our long table which they had to move every so often so we all could get some heat. The food was basic to say the least. I have eaten in a basic taverna in Athens before and the food here was alot worse than there. My taramasalata was put on a warm plate. Klefika turned out to be a Aldi Lamb shank which thankfully had some meat on it. Drinks were expensive with you being given flat coke from a bottle and cocktails costing £6 a go but you would be hard pressed to find any alcohol in them. Staff were surly at best and had a weird way of clearing the table like taking two plates at a time having a rest then coming back for 2 more.

Definately a place which was feeling sorry for itself and no one wanted to make any effort to ensure you had a nice night and wanted to come back

They have certainly lost 21 repeat customers and by look of other comments on here the other group who was the in restaurant same time as us wont be coming back either.

2  Thank Bibbabear
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Well I'd like to say how much I enjoyed my first experience of Ulysses, and how much i was looking forward to going there again - but i can't. Infact I will never darken the places doorstep again. I went along with a group of around 18 for a friends 40th birthday. When the tables were booked we were told that the party girl goes free and that they would 'decorate' the table. 2 balloons is not what i call decoration.

We were seated and several members of staff came to take our orders and then we waited, and waited, and waited. I had the melon - which came decorated with a slice of orange. i could have got a better selection and more if i had gone to Asda and brought a ready sliced pack for a £1. Not the best of starts I thought but then melon may not be native to Greece, so I put my trust and faith into the main. Big mistake, huge..... cold lumpy, unrecognisable Aphrodite Chicken - if Aphrodite was looking down on Birmingham on Friday night she certainly wasn't looking at my chicken! I asked for no chips with mine - guess what it came with chips! For dessert I asked if they could knock up some fruit as did the birthday girl. They sent us, yes you've guessed it melon and orange, for us to share on the same plate - good job we are good friends!
Others in our party had the sword fish and halibut - shame the chef didn't know the difference - and it certainly wasn't fresh - it was though, inedible!

They offered us on their web site a disco until 2am. We got a cassette playing the worst music ever, unless of course you were 6 or 7 years of age - and even then they turned it down so low it could be bearly heard.

They turned what heating that had been on off at 11pm then REMOVED the CALOR GAS HEATER just after. They couldn't offer the traditional plate smashing because of health and safety but they thought it safe to bring a naked flames into contact with us.

There were 3 nominated drivers and 1 muslim in our party but the rest of the girls wanted to drink the over priced cocktails which you had to order at the bar then sit and wait for half an hour to be 'delivered'. Most of your drink was on the floor by the time you got it, but it would have been nice to spill it yourself and not have some totally depressed bar person spill it for you.
They ran out of soda water too. I think that was so they could charge £3.60 for a lime and lemonade which was roughly 10p dearer than a pint of cider.

The best bit of the evening was when we went to pay. They charged us for the 'free' birthday girl, on the basis that we hadn't told them that there was a birthday girl and that we wanted her to go free. After a little disagreement with, who i can only say was the worst person in the world to be running a restraunt blonde, who was up to arguing with everyone about everything, she gave in and let us not pay for the free person. She did remind us though, as she stamped the table with her very pointy finger that there was no tip included in the bill. I wonder why?

The food, ambiance, service all total rubbish. You'd get a better service over the road at the Catholic Church.

I felt sorry for the belly dancer who in the face of adversity, tried to engage the people that were there in the art of the belly. She had good heart and spirit and certainly needs to be working where she would be better appreciated.

Wouldn't send my worst enemy to Ulysses, the only reason we stayed was because we were in our own company.

1  Thank Scotty1959