“Great location”

Birmingham Central Backpackers
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent a weekend away from home and stayed in this hotel. Great location: just a few minutes walk from the main shopping street and almost all main attractions. Very central. The staff was very frindly and helpfull. recommend to everybody.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Fabulous location (only a few minutes walk from Bullring shopping centre & New Street railway station) in the centre of Digbeth makes this lovely little hostel a great choice for anyone who wants to stay central (and not only)! This place has a great vibe (very colourful), it's very clean and tidy and the peeps (a few hospitable and chilled Hungarians) running it will accommodate you as much as they can. I stayed here a couple of years ago with my two friends when at a gig at Rainbow Courtyard and last weekend with a group of 10 friends when in B'gham again, this time at a wee festival in Moseley. On both occasions we opted for private bathrooms (shower cubicles in the rooms) although there are plenty of communal showers in the building (one upstairs and two downstairs) to keep everyone happy! Lovely breakfast (toasts with large variety of jams & choc butters) with a coffee/ tea and a piece of fresh fruit is included in a very cheap price for the room as well.
I loved it both times I stayed here and I definitely recommend this place to everyone who fancy visiting or partying in Birmingham.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've travelled all around Europe looking for hostels with good armosphere, friendly and welcoming. So, that's the best! I loved it so much! A wonderful coloured common area, wide screen tv/dvd, a lot of interesting peolple. Very easy find people to share a beer and have fun! The rest is good. Great soup served every evening. I'll come back soon! Thanks guys!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Large group of us booked out a few rooms for one night when we visited Birmingham, and it worked out quite cheaply (about £10/15 each for accommodation and breakfast).
The location isn't great, when we were walking home in the dark, it did feel a bit creepy being by the big viaduct, and seeing lots of beer cans on the floor. Also, not all the rooms are in the same building, so once we'd signed in at the main bit, we had to try and find where we were staying outside!
The beds were also horrendous - think squeaky bunk-beds with paper thin mattresses. At least the bunk I was on was! Had an awful nights sleep, because every time I moved I thought the whole thing was going to collapse and squash the poor person on the bottom bunk! Not great if you want a good nights sleep.
The interior to the hostel was lovely though, very colourful and comfortable, and the place put on a nice spread for breakfast, which we all exploited with numerous cups of tea/coffee and lots of peanut butter on toast and fruit!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We turned up, all 8 of us, ready to check in for one night only to be told our booking has been cancelled without telling us! We didn't so much as receive an email regarding this cancellation and were left homeless for the night! They still took the deposit money off me and refused to pay it back. The manger, a curly brown haired male, was shockingly rude and offensive, shunning our group out of his "cleanly/fairly" run establishment almost immediately.
Words of warning, do not book a place in this hostel, you may turn up finding it has been cancelled without warning and be left homeless on the streets of Birmingham!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank RhiannaKaur
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here some time ago visiting concert in Bham. Overall impression was not as good as I had with some other hostels before, but I did not spend much time in there (literally sleep only) to write proper review. On the other hand all people and hostel itself seemed to be pretty friendly and I would not be worried to stay again even for more than one night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2013

After using many excellent single rooms with Backpackers in Central Europe and Germany for the same price I thought I would at least try this in Birmingham. What a bad mistake. This place is filthy and in a terrible area. My room was freezing and the building was dirty. I doubt the bed sheets and linen had ever been washed. On the plus side, they did offer soup for guests and an ok breakfast, but on the whole this has to be one of the worst places ever. I work in a developing country under some pretty difficult conditions, so please don't think I expect luxury, just some clean sheets would be nice. The receptionist was sweet though, not her fault the place is so poorly funded. Stay here unless your only other option is sleeping under a bridge.

Room Tip: I have no advice other than don't stay here.