“Good value for a few pounds”

Birmingham Central Backpackers
Brno, Czech Republic
“Good value for a few pounds”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Tis is a good hostel - you shouldn't expect four star hotel, but when you don't mind sharing a room with few other people and sharing a bathroom with even more, you can get a fine, tidy accommodation at a very reasonable price. Even the self/served breakfast was good. There are also some free time facilities - Wii, DVDs and VHSs, board games, free Wi-Fi... I appreciated warm and tidy bathrooms and toilets.
The only flaw was the breakfast time. If you want to start your trip early in the morning, I recommend you to buy the breakfast on the way or in advance as the kitchen opens at 8:00am.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed here was I was travelling on a budget as a student. The room was very cheap and you get what you pay for. The mattress was a bit uncomfortable but for the price I cannot complain. The staff are great and offered me advice on what to visit in the city, where to eat etc. I'd definitely stay again because of this.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank HKG_MFM_2013
Santo André, São Paulo
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Run by a couple of Hungarian guys, the strong points of this place are the staff and their lobby. This is a very good place for making friends, as their lobby is pretty full of people all around the world all the time. They have got a huge quantity of films and games for Xbox 360 and PS3, and you can watch and play in a very big screen. Staff really helped me when I needed. Besides, prices were ok and they have really big and free lockers, something that other hostels just don’t have all the time.
One weak point is location. It is not that far from stations and from main shopping area, but streets around are too dark in the night and there are lots of abandoned places. It just does not seem the safest place in the world. Another bad point was my mattress. It was really hard and I could feel all the wire structure below me during the night.
The overall experience was fine and I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Myself and a friend stayed at backpackers friday till sunday in a private room.
It was how i was expecting it to be, just a basic room. We werent planning on staying there very much because we had alot planned in birmingham.
Only downsides would be that the tv didnt have an aerial so couldnt be used and there wasnt a full length mirror anywhere in the building as far as i could see and it would have been very useful!
Saturday night we were woken up at around 1am by people in the hallway talking loudly and walking around which could be heard easily. Someone even tryed to enter our room which didnt half scare me but we think it was someone drunk thinking our room was the bathroom!
I found that my mattress was particularly uncomfortable i.e i could feel the springs. I managed to get to sleep but was woken at half 8 but what sounded like loud vehicles at the back of the building (building 2) which was at our side. needless to say it wasnt the best sleep ive ever had.

All in all it was an ok stay, we had eveything we needed for a short stay and i thought the free breakfast was nice and the lounge area in the main building was cosy and welcoming.
The location was good and down the road is a cafe which sells cheap yet tasty breakfasts and drinks which was a nice find!
I thought the staff at the hostel were pleasant and chilled out which was good. They gave us a good taxi number which was very reliable and fairly cheap.
I think that for the price the room was good value for money because of how close the hostel is to the bull ring.
I would say that the time of year being so close to christmas and the german market made the centre very busy so i would suggest people visit after this time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank loobylou8424
England
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This hostel is amazing. A few friends and I were given a four bed room to ourselves for one night. Just what we wanted for a night out.

We had a sink, shower, TV, DVD player and loads of storage. Three of the bed were a single (as expected). One was almost a double, so a nice surprise.

The first thing that hits you is the colour. Pink, blue, green on the walls. Not even mentioning the glitter too. Orange beds and red bedding. I loved it.

We missed the evening food, but breakfast was good and quick as I had to rush off the catch my train,

Book ahead for cheaper beds. Next time I want to try the pods though.

Room Tip: Book ahead if you want a pod or a room for just you and your friends.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 31, 2011

truly a wonderful hostel, friendly and affordable. Looks can be deceiving, because the hostel is located in a suburb infrequent and not recommended, but inside the hostel is quiet and colourfull. The owners are friendly and helpful (and cute ;*). There is a great common room with board games, books, projector and big screen, playstation 3, several sofas and chairs, and Internet for a few pennies. Some nights the owners organize nice events for guests (always young) to socialize and entertain. There's an equipped and spacious kitchen, and breakfast is included. The rooms are upstairs, they aren't wide but beds are clean and comfortable. There are few bathrooms, but always in good condition. There's also a big private garage where parking the car. It's almost perfect!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Like a lot of other reviewers, I was put in the new building, which didn't have wi-fi access yet (there are only 5 rooms in the original building). Seeing as getting wi-fi in the dorms was one of the main reasons I chose to stay here, it would have been nice to know beforehand. The other main reason I chose Central Backpackers over the other similarly priced hostel was the meal in the evening. I missed it a couple of times when I was working late but when I did have it, one time it was an hour later than they said it would be, and it was really, really watered down packet soup. The other time I got sick of waiting, went for a shower and by the time I got back there was none left. Seeing as dinner is a free extra I can't really complain, but just don't rely on having dinner here if you're on a tight budget.
The beds were really comfy, the common room was nice and bright with good wi-fi access and breakfast was fine (tea, toast and fruit). Some of the staff were friendly, some not as much, and as nice as they were they were more like volunteers than professional staff. Not a big problem if you're just mooching around on holiday but I was there for work so could have done with some local knowledge and advice.
Overall, if you're looking to meet people or are traveling with friends, Birmingham Central Backpackers is fantastic and cheap as chips, but if you're alone on business there are definitely better places to stay in Birmingham (even for the same price).

Room Tip: Perform a miracle and get booked in the original building.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business