“280547Brian's Review”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #36 of 129 Restaurants in Warwick
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Coventry, United Kingdom
“280547Brian's Review”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place has a very comprehensive menu at good value prices. The menu varies for all tastes and the service is excellent.

• Visited January 2013

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“drink wasn't up to much.”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

went for a drink with my wife and the choice of lagers was poor, i think only carling and fosters from memory but could be wrong. The lager i chose was flat. The decor is poor and they could do with come music as its like a library in there. A good location and nice little beer garden in the summer are the only positives in my view. Needs new owners who will spend a bit of money and make it a welcoming and warm place to come and start serving good drink or clean their lines.

• Visited September 2012
“Nice refurbished country pub. Good food and staff.”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Menu is of traditional pub food- burgers/fish and chips/steaks as well as fish dishes and grills items such as chicken, liver and lamb.

We found the staff friendly and happy to take time to talk to you about the options. The place is cosy and welcomes children which was a bonus.

Stroud, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely place for a midweek lunch”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited The Anchor Inn on our way to an exhibition at Coventry Cathedral from just outside Stratford Upon Avon. We hadn't booked, but the staff were very friendly and welcoming and quickly found us a table for four next to the bar.
There was obviously a large party going on in an adjoining room, but we were only aware of this because the staff were so busy, we couldn't hear a thing, which was lovely as we were there to catch up with family we hadn't seen for several months.
My brother-in-law had already raved about their large meatballs (I can't use the word for them here, as TripAdvisor thinks it's a profanity! Let's just say that some American people use it to refer to gay men) and mash, having been to the Inn before and both he and my partner chose them. The portions were a good size, but not too large, and the meatballs were huge and very meaty.
My sister-in-law and I chose the Warwickshire Smoky - a smoked haddock fish pie with a generous cheese crust on top of the potato lid. Unlike some fish pies I have been served in the past, there was more than enough fish in with the delicious white sauce, and it really was a treat. Again, the portion sizes were large but not too much for a lunchtime meal. When my sister-in-law ordered chips as a side dish, the landlady warned her that as the pie came with potato on top, she might prefer a side of vegetables, which I thought was kind. This was what we both chose, and the vegetables were lovely, fresh and not boiled to death either!
Dessert for me was a beautiful lemon tart with a generous dollop of rich and creamy vanilla ice cream - absolutely lovely. My partner had crumble and custard, which she loves, and it definitely met her exacting standards! I forget what my brother-in-law had, but as he had already said he wasn't going to have a dessert and then found he couldn't resist it, I think you can be sure he enjoyed it! My sister-in-law chose to have a coffee, which arrived hot at the same time as our desserts.
It was clear that the landlady and her two bar/restaurant staff were run off their feet, and it did take them rather a long time to bring the bill and then to come back so we could pay, but they were very apologetic and we never felt as if we were a nuisance, which can sometimes be the case in busy restaurants.
A lovely lunch, no annoying background music drowning our conversation and friendly staff. Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A "must visit" restaurant”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

When visiting relatives in Warwick The Anchor Inn is a must place to visit. Have dined quite a few times both evening and Sunday lunch and the quality of the food and serice provided have never failed to please me. Disappointed with some of the recent reviews especially when someone says the prices are average- I feel that everything on the menu was very reasonable especially the Sunday lunch menu.
Will definitely be returning next time we visit Warwick.
Great food folks!!