My wife and I were married yesterday at Wroxall Abbey. We couldn't have wished for a more lovely experience.
We were helped by remarkably sunny weather and hilariously entertaining wedding guests, but the venue itself was magical - a classically sprawling mansion house as a hotel, moments away from a petite, yet stunning chapel (now a cathedral), all set in beautiful, lush green surroundings. The 'sunken garden' itself is perfect for attractive photos.
Joy, our wedding co-ordinator, was really good in the build-up to the wedding, and unflappably excellent on the day. Any problems on our side, such as flaky external caterers, were handled with aplomb. She was a credit to Wroxall Abbey Estate.
The set-up is absolutely perfect for a wedding. The church is one minute's walk away from the hotel entrance, and less than a minute's walk from the marquee.
In the lead up to the wedding, me and the missus ate a few times at Wroxall and, to be honest, weren't overwhelmingly impressed by its hit and miss nature. On the day of the wedding however, the barbeque menu that was chosen was brilliant (the sausages seemed to be the most popular item). Again, the gorgeous weather helped, but there's no doubt it was a well-received wedding breakfast.
No real issues with the service: Stuart, the duty manager, was friendly and reliable, and the younger staff around the hotel were cheerful and attentive. Some of the older staff were a little eccentric but, again, it sort-of fit with the whole vibe.
The bridal suite was great - exposed wooden beams, acres of space and an enormous jacuzzi bath worth spending a lot of time in. Other guests all seemed happy with their rooms too, all very different from the next, in a kind-of 'shabby chic' way.
There were some issues that, if ironed out, would make Wroxall the only venue to consider for a wedding. The menu for the wedding breakfast, for example, wasn't exactly as specified by ourselves prior to the event.
There seemed to be some difficulty in getting all our stuff required for the marquee (where the wedding breakfast/evening reception was held) there at the same time, which did regrettably lead to a last-minute juggling of the schedule; in mitigation, much of this material was brought in piecemeal fashion to the venue in the days leading up to the wedding, and staff were very helpful in accomodating this. It did seem as if some of the bottles of wine ordered for the wedding breakfast were being held back, but it wasn't made immediately clear why - we would have preferred glasses being topped up at the appropriate times rather than just being left to pour our own and be left with nothing when the wine ran out.
Also, the marquee was an extremely warm place to be on an unusually hot Spring day. Judging by some of the other comments, when it's hot it's really hot and when it's cold...
And, finally, I would imagine that if you're a guest at the hotel and there's a wedding on, it isn't the best place to be for getting drinks, food etc - there was a wedding the previous day, that caused a bit of awkwardness for our guests that had arrived the day before the wedding
Overall though, my wife and I were absolutely delighted with our choice of venue. Our guests seemed almost more delighted than ourselves! It's a tad rough around the edges, but cannot be faulted for its charm, its character or its staff. It is a wonderful wedding venue and was perfect for our special day.
P.S. Some of the reviews suggested Wroxall Abbey was haunted: one of our guests did claim to have seen a ghost too! That said, she was pretty drunk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in 27 acres of open parkland, Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate occupies a unique setting amidst the peace and tranquility of the Warwickshire countryside. Situated just 10 miles from the NEC and Birmingham International Airport, Wroxall Abbey's close proximity to the M42, M40 and M6 make it an ideal location for conferences, meetings and events. Once the country seat of Sir Christopher Wren, Wroxall Abbey boasts a magnificent collection of listed buildings and private grounds, which make it an idyllic setting for weddings and other special occasions. Following a programme of sympathetic restorations, Wroxall Abbey offers today's discerning guest a country house estate with unrivalled leisure, business and function facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wroxall Abbey Estate Warwick
- Wroxall Abbey Estate Hotel Warwick