“Place was ok, staff not so much”

Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Warwick
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Went for a wedding open day, place is very historic, marquee looks really big and lots of space, needs bait of tlc.
Price of the food is stupid amount not a lot of food choice, was not impressed with the menu. When I asked questions about food was getting different answers from staff for example:" I asked could we cater it from out side, which I presumed there will be a charge but was told by one member of staff that I couldn't ,only Indian cuisine can have outside catering but asked another person by phone and I was told we could. Mixed answers there!!! Not professional. I founded it a horrible experience because they were giving mix answers and didn't find the trust in them. End of the day it's your big day you should feel relaxed and trusting the wedding planner , in this case I didn't. We also found it difficult to get there with the postcode, but when you get there it's ok.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank melanddave18
EmmaBWAE, General Manager at Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Wroxall Abbey. We are surprised to see a comment from 2012, however we presume you may have visited us on our last Wedding Open Day in July.
Wroxall is a complete Wedding destination which offers full catering with a wide range of menus for different occasions from our standard restaurant menus to tailor made menus for weddings and events. Whilst we prefer to cater all events ourselves, for cuisine we cannot provide we are happy to allow Outside Caterers for our events in the Marquee.
We believe that there must have been a simple misunderstanding regarding this information which could have been easily resolved.
Our Wedding Coordinators are on hand to answer any queries and questions from guests and to successfully plan our Bride & Groom’s special days. Wroxall is an excellent wedding venue which has been recognised by the many awards won including the ‘Award of Excellence Wedding Venue of the Year’ 2011, 2012 & 2013 awarded by Shires Magazine.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We treated ourselves to a mansion suite for our wedding anniversary & were rather disappointed. Considering the suites are supposed to be the top quality rooms - with prices to match - it was very poor. The air conditioning wasn't working & as we were in an attic suite it was very, very warm. None of the accessible windows opened so we were trapped in an attic room with no fresh air & only a table top fan to circulate the air which was getting staler by the hour. The bathroom was shabby, the sink was cracked, the shower leaked all over the floor & only one bath towel was provided. On the plus side the bed was a 6 foot bed & very comfortable, had we been cool enough to sleep it would have been a good nights sleep! The bumf declared there is Sky tv in every room, not so. A minor point but even so. The hospitality tray left a lot to be desired with one pack of biscuits between two, I've had better in a budget motel. We didn't eat in at all, the restaurant menu looked ok though very limited for me being a vegetarian & the 3 course meal at just under £25 looked appealing. One look at the wine list however put us off completely with prices starting from £18.95 for a bottle of house white. The breakfasts are extra, £8 for continental & £13.50 for full english with no veggy options. Several pubs & bistros just a couple of miles down the road offer full english breakfasts from between £3.99 & £7. The only thing that saved the stay for us was the leisure centre which we had to ourselves, without that I think we probably would have walked out. How this establishment has 4 AA stars is beyond me. Suffice to say we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room in the attic, it seems the air conditioning never works & you'll end u...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to read that your stay was not everything you hoped it would be.
The Mansion Suites are very popular rooms and all the bedrooms have opening windows, our Guest Services staff would have been delighted to have helped if they had been aware of the problem.
Our Hospitality Trays are a standard offering and additional items can be replenished on request.
As with many hotels the rates start on a room only basis for guests who do not want additional items, but we also offer bed and breakfast and dinner, bed and breakfast rates on a regular basis.
Our menus change regularly and Chef is more than happy to prepare dishes for guests which may not appear on the menu. Our Wine lists are wide ranging and competitively priced and our Buffet Style Breakfast offers a full selection of Hot & Cold Drinks, Continental and Cooked items with Vegetarian Bacon and Sausages available on request. We are pleased to provide a quality offering for all refreshments, but appreciate that cheaper alternatives are available in the area.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights

staff attentive grounds stunning rooms lovely bar restaurant stunning.
First night amazing food drink etc
second night not so amazing wedding on so couldn't use bar or restaurant had to have food and drink in little side room very disappointing also disco from wedding till 12 o clock vibrating disco music in room.
First night stay totally different to second night stay. Not able to even have drink in the bar so very disappointing,, wedding totally over shadows paying hotel guess
my tip don't book night stay if wedding taking place.

Room Tip: Stay in mansion
1  Thank soton_13

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Whilst we note your disappointment occasionally there can be restrictions to areas of the hotel for a period of time when rooms are hired for private functions, however alternatives are made available to the other guests on site. As a matter of routine guests are normally made aware this at the time of booking. I apologise if this was not the case. We hope that this does not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Got a great rate however, given a room above the bar where a disco was on till midnight. Limited menu which was overpriced and no vegetarian option for A La Carte. Staff did not seem bothered about this.

1  Thank David H

Thank you for your review. At Wroxall we pride ourselves in our high levels of Customer Service and I apologise that on this occasion you feel that this was not experienced. The Restaurant runs two main menus, the Simply Sonnets menu and the A la Carte menu which both offer 6 -7 starter and main course options including vegetarian dishes, however our Chefs are more than happy to prepare alternatives as guests wish. Our menus are constantly changing and your comments will be taken on board when designing our next seasonal menu.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was moved to this hotel and was originally supposed to stay at Honiley Court Hotel. However they had double booked so we had been moved.

When you turn up at Wroxall the outside is very impressive, a large mansion. We walked inside to check in and everything seemed quite upmarket and what you would expect from a four star. We usually stay in chain hotels such as Holiday Inn's if we're only going for the weekend so this was supposed to be a treat for us. I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels previously on holiday though so know roughly what to expect

We were given our room key and found our way up. We were placed in Room 55. Well I wouldn't know where to start. The room is disgusting I would never EVER pay to sleep there. I literally burst into tears when we went into it. The wallpaper is hideous, the carpet is old and dirty. There isn't room to swing a cat either. The bed was a cheap metal bed you might find in a charity shop and the mattress was so soft I may has well have sat on the bed slats. I thought I would check out the bathroom in the hope it would cheer me up from the nightmare. No, it didn't. The bathroom was small and covered in light blue wallpaper with a yellow tinge and peeling. This was all accompanied by the fact that the view was of the bin yard. By this point I was disgusted and disappointed I didn't know what to do. I'd organised this as a special trip for me and my partner before our house move, a relaxing break. It was far from that.

I called reception to see if we could be moved. The member of staff that answered wasn't phased by my request and perfectly gracious. He was efficient in finding us another room. We were moved to a room a door or two away. This was better but I still wouldn't say it was anywhere near 4 star and if it was up to me I wouldn't pay more than £30 for it. Luckily it was a lot larger than the previous room. The bathroom was nice but the bath could of done with washing out where the dust had settled. The duvet itself was yellowed but the cover was fine. Unfortunately it was a feather duvet, Usually you expect anti allergy which is incredibly unfortunate for me as I do have that allergy so I spent the night sniffing away. The mattress was more comfortable though. However, the décor was still just as shocking.

We stayed in that room all night as there wasn't much else we could do. The ideal scenario would of been to stay in the hotel we chose at the outset.

We went downstairs to check out in the morning. They had no idea what rooms we had been in so we left them to it and left the hotel swiftly.

I would never ever recommend a stay here. It is honestly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and as I've mentioned; I've stayed in a lot of hotels in my time and a lot of different star ratings too. I'd of preferred a travelodge to this place. Bitterly disappointed and it truly ruined our weekend away.

2  Thank Lornok19

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We fully appreciate that when you have planned a special trip away and find your original hotel has double booked your stay this inevitably sets the wrong tone and impacts on the enjoyment of your stay. Although many hotels employ an overbooking policy this is not something practised by Wroxall, however we do help out our neighbouring hotels when they find themselves in this situation.

The hotel you originally booked is a different type of hotel to Wroxall and therefore possibly not what you were expecting. Unlike many standard hotels Wroxall has individually designed bedrooms and furniture to reflect the period of the building. Although we are aware you were not happy with the first bedroom allocated we are glad that our staff were able to efficiently offer you an alternative, they also could have provided you with anti allergy bedding which is available on request as an alternative to the feather down duvets we provide as standard.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My Fiance and I decided to treat ourselves to a romantic weekend away. We found the deal on Groupon, £169.00 for a two night stay with breakfast in a superiour double room. I telephoned Reception to check on a few dates, very helpful and even suggested that rather than booking through Groupon we could deal with them directly for the same price! (Great in my opinion as I never trust these websites.) Also suggested that on arrival we mention a possibility of a free upgrade.

On arrival, the grounds and Mansion are absolutely stunning and beautifully maintained. There are no words to describe the views here! Easy check in and upgraded to a suite! Our room M84 was huge to say the least. Massive bed (King size minimum,) plenty of storage space - double wardrobe, chest of drawers, and two bedside units, sofa, table and chairs, two tvs, tea and coffee facilities, larger than average bathroom with shower and corner bath. A very light, spacious room.

The rest of the hotel follows suit with the room. Very quiet which was perfect for us. Only at breakfast did we see anyone else except for staff and even then we only saw 6 people both mornings. Although we are early risers and were the first for breakfast (8am on Saturdays and Sundays.) There were two weddings during our stay, apart from quests walking in the middle of the road going to and from the venue and the music very quitely in the background until 11pm, there were no interuptions.

We did not make use of the spa and swimming pool facilities so can't comment. We also didn't eat at the Hotel due to the prices but we found a lovely pub about 3 miles down the road called the Durham Ox.

We both agreed that the full price of £300.00 a night (£600.00 for our two night stay!!!) for our suite is too expensive for what we had and would expect a lot more for that price. However, we definitely got our monies worth at £169.00 and will return on another deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
EmmaBWAE, General Manager at Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Wroxall Abbey and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Estate in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here on a wowcher deal and hadn't realised we were on 'party' tables with other people. We were on our own and didn't mind too much as you get to meet other people. The food was OK, the service excellent. Be aware that if there is a wedding on it may get pretty noisy! There are not enough bar staff and no one could get the SKY TV on.
As others have said, the furniture in the rooms is a little odd... More charity/junk shop!! Also, please please someone in housekeeping change the loo brushes!!! I've seen better in a working mans club!
Overall though the staff were lovely, the building is amazing and the grounds are just gorgeous. The drinks prices are sky high and the prices were never consistent. Check your bill at the end of your stay as we and others had drinks added that we never had.
I would stay again as its close to Stratford which is lovely but we would use the local pub next time.

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warwick
The Warwickshire
#11 of 12 in Warwick
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#15 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate? Share your experiences!