“Nice spot for lunch”

The Cape of Good Hope
Ranked #19 of 145 Restaurants in Warwick
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Warwick's Best Kept Secret. A true canal side real ale pub. The water is a few feet from the front door, adjacent to Cape top lock on the Grand Union Canal. Open & Serving Food All Day Every day from 11am. We have 3 permanent real ales & 3 ever changing guest ales. We served Fresh Ingredients Real Food. Great food, Great beer, Great location.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I took in this place the other week during a stag day out and I really liked it. The pub is nicely laid out and the food, at least what I had, was very nice. We were a large group (12) and we were very pleased to find a big table in the back room that sat us all. One word of warning though, one of the doors out of the pub takes you right to the canal-side and there is no fence or barrier so if you have a few drinks do try not to fall in!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stumbled across this pub purely by chance as we were passing on a narrowboat and it was a truly great find. I can't actually fault it; the service was friendly and quick, the beer was great, local and well-kept and the atmosphere of the place was very warm and welcoming. It didn't seem to matter whether you were a local out for a couple of beers or a family, as we were, stopping for some food and a drink, you were treated in the same excellent, cordial fashion.
As for the food, it was superb, certainly one of the best pub meals I've ever had. The home-made scotch egg starter was remarkably flavoursome and the four main meals which we had were as close to perfect as is possible. My superb fish (delivered that day) and chips came with a home-made tartare sauce which has ensured that I will never eat a shop-bought one again!
All in all, I would wholeheartedly recommend this pub to anyone, both for its food and its beer.

1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stopped by this pub for night on Grand Union Canal. Have horror of supermarket scotch eggs and was talked into having the pub's own made one...............Well. It was like F1 as compared with banger racing down the field. The crumb coating was excellent. The meat was superb with hints of Haggis and the egg perfect and runny. I honestly didn't know such things could exist. Pub itself was attractive, service good and location seductive. The culinary high-point of trip.

2  Thank Andy J
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We called in to the Cape having not visited for a few years, and were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and the setting perfect on a hot summer's day. We had our 18 month-old with us and they were happy to cook a suitable pasta dish for him. I tried the Thai mussel dish and the serving was very generous, and I was amazed to see things such as Thai aubergines - the sort of thing you don't usually see outside of a specialist Thai restaurant. Very nicely spiced too, and I shall be back for more. My wife really enjoyed the veggie burger. She's not a veggie but really enjoyed that too, while our side order of onion rings were honestly the best I've ever had! Cracking pint of Hooky too. Well done the new owners, you have another fan on board.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This pub is a couple of hundred yards away from me, and being a supporter of local causes and real ales, and a fan of the canal network, I had been looking forward to eschewing my regular haunts for a visit to the Cape. At face value, little had changed post any refurbishment. Not particularly disappointed, the last thing I wanted was another soulless gastropub lookalike.

The specials advertised above the bar looked pretty enticing and I was already planning another visit to explore the menu, and then WHAM! I was hit by the bar prices. It seemed that the pub was pricing itself alongside the restaurant bars in the town centre. Fair enough I suppose, however I didn't see the attraction of paying 50p a pint more than in my existing locals in Warwick (other quality real ale pubs).

Then I spotted the furtive movements of the local bar huggers. As they were ordering their beer, they were flashing their key fobs, and as it turned out, getting a preferential rate on their drinks

Is this legal? It certainly is discriminatory, exclusive and alienating. The tourists, occasional and first time visitors are funding the cheaper beer of those in a secret club (the Cape Crusaders as it turns out).

Not for me I'm afraid.

4  Thank ValleyGator
Tewharema, Owner at The Cape of Good Hope, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thanks for your review. Our prices are very similar and in some cases cheaper than other places in Warwick depending on the product chosen if you are comparing like for like. We constantly check this to ensure our customers are getting value for money whilst ensuring we can stay in business.

As for the keyrings, this is a loyalty scheme which is perfectly legal. The same scheme is used in many pubs & restaurants these days. It is widely publicised and available for all local residents & regular customers. It is not dissimilar to the nectar card scheme.

We would love to see you often enough to apply for a keyring. Feel free to ask any of our Cape Crew at the bar.