“Lovely venue for food”

Tom O' The Wood
Ranked #16 of 164 Restaurants in Warwick
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A traditional English pub within a stones throw of the Grand Union Canal and a gentle stroll from the Birmingham and Stratford-upon-Avon canal Kingswood Junction. The ancient pub is nestled in the center of the tranquil village of Rowington, in the heart of the Warwickshire countryside. In addition to a fine selection of bitters and lagers you will find an ample choice of wines and excellent dining facilities. If you are looking for a relaxing meal in tranquil surroundings why not join us here at Tom O' The Wood where a warm welcome awaits!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After along the canal, we came upon Tom o’ the wood. Very busy outside patio as it was a sunny day. We were able to get seated outside in the lovely sunshine and order our food before lunch sitting finishes at 3pm. Very pleased with our choice or oriental noodle duck salad and a beef burger. Presented nicely and tasted great. Friendly and helpful staff.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (756)

Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

Really disappointed, my farther booked a table a week prior to our booking, for my birthday meal, he confirmed on the phone the amount of people eating and the member of staff went as far to confirm they had a large booking in the restaurant but would give us a lovely round table in the conservatory, which we agreed to. On arriving at the pub we were told “WE” had not booked it correctly, on trying to see if they could accommodate us as intended, as the conservatory was empty of diners at this point we were told we could not pull extra chairs to the table, all the manager wanted to say was whilst banging a menu against her hand was that her staff were correct not us. We have been regulars and recommended this pub on numerous occasions, sadly we will not be back, we went off to another very popular place locally who could not be more accommodating. Sad really.

5  Thank 1RoseyGa
Tomothewood, Owner at Tom O' The Wood, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2019

I’m sorry you feel this is what happened, however I would like to clarify that I was in fact there when my supervisor of 2 years took the booking with your dad, she confirmed we had a table of 4 in the conservatory which is a nice round table, in fact the only round table in there which has always been a table of 4. I also prompted her to make sure you were aware of the larger booking around the same time to ensure you were aware of possible delays due to our food being cooked fresh to order. My supervisor as all my team are expected to do so, read the booking details back, confirming time, numbers and date. I personally heard all of this, hence why I confirmed with you on the day the day that I can vouch it was most definitely booked for 4 people.
If we could of accommodated you we most certainly would, I’m sure you’d agree no business owner would willingly turn away potential takings. But those ‘free tables’ you mentioned, were all booked for the guests due to arrive within the next 45 minutes for that sitting as we had just finished our first sitting and were in the process of receiving our next guests. We even had a waiting list of people in the bar in case tables became available, therefore I would not of been able to take chairs from them when they had booked also? I’m sorry you feel this wasn’t handled well, however whoever we first spoke to was quite rude with us, and despite not being the person who had originally made the booking was not prepared to listen to us and expected us to take other guests chairs which I obviously was not prepared to do, I was not even given the chance to suggest our nice outside tables which we would of as a one off, given full table service to, as she stormed out! (We do not usually offer table service to tables outside) I do however hope you enjoyed your meal elsewhere but afraid there wasn’t much else we could do due to the popularity of our weekends and we had reserved a table for the numbers originally requested.

Kind Regards
Charlie

Reviewed September 9, 2019

Attractive pub, in a good location, near a canal, in an attractive village. The lunch menu was varied and well-priced. The food was good and the service excellent.

Reviewed September 7, 2019 via mobile

A hasty internet search whilst totally stressed on the M40 led us to this little gem! Full of folks happy that it was Friday night. All drinking and eating made it a great atmosphere as soon as we walked in. The best ploughmans ever, a stonking good pie and great 'real' fish fingers for the wee one. Excellent service. So all good. A proper locals pub with a relaxed vibe that looks well supported. We will all regret the day when all we have is 'chain' pubs. So support your local more. Really wish this was on our doorstop. Cheers!

Reviewed August 31, 2019

To say this pub is dog friendly is an understatement. We visited this lovely quaint pub on a summers evening and thought we were at crufts! So many people sat outside drinking and eating with well behaved dogs with them, and also in the bar area. They are not allowed in the restaurant but anywhere else is fine. The staff, even when rushed off their feet, are attentive and friendly. I was only waiting a few minutes and I was told they wouldnt be long, instead of feeling invisible as you often do when waiting for a pint! The pub dog is often around, but you cannot feed him with the biscuits that are everywhere as he is on a diet!
The food was great, piping hot, very good quality and fresh. Even when I was told there would be a half hour wait, it was out before 20 minutes.
It is a bit out of the way but well worth a visit. Clean, tidy, not expensive, and most of all friendly.
I think I have found my new fave pub, just wish it was my local

Date of visit: August 2019