“Lovely break”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Warwick
Merthyr Tydfil
“Lovely break”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Just spent one night and had a lovely break. The rooms are small, so do not expect a deluxe huge room. We stayed in room 10 which had a 4 poster bed and large corner bath. Nice room but on small side. the mattress was awful you could feel all the springs, Manager - you must change this, lie on the matress yourself and you will see. No toiletries in room at all which was probably an oversight, luckily we had some shower gel with us. The pub itself is fantastic it made me smile just sitting in it. It oozed history and I absolutely loved it. The owner was lovely and so was the barman, she gave us a free drink when we had to change rooms because the toilet was being repaired in our first room, very glad we did not stay here - very small (room 4). Breakfast served by a very friendly woman but not the best. I'm a vegetarian and there were no veggie sausages, hash browns or tomatoes, so I had egg on toast with a side postion of mushrooms. I can't eat baked beans but they were available. I expect more than this for a cooked breakfast if I'm honest BUT cereal was also available to be fair (can't eat this either - not their fault). If you love history you will love this old historical Inn I did and would not hesitate to go back there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This appears to be a genuine tudor building with the classic half-timbered architecture and blackened oak beams giving it real charm and character. We received a warm welcome and liked the look of the cosy bar with real fire. However, it went downhill from there. While I loved the four-poster bed, and was glad to see a good-sized telly, the pillows were either ridiculously hard and fat, or pointlessly thin - pretty inexcusable. Another thing I hate is showers which you have to handhold - how hard is it to attach them so you don't have to juggle with the shower-head and soap? I also really hated the fact that the curtains are very thin and cheap so that at night you can clearly see the light from the lamp-post opposite, and car lights as they drive past. It's pretty noisy too, so avoid a roadside room. It was also too warm, but that's a common complain. We didn't have breakfast as we wanted a lie-in. Overall, pretty disappointing for Xmas night.

Buntingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had intended to go to Circencester for the Christmas market but our chosen accommodation was unavailable due to a flood so had to change plans and decided on a couple of nights in Warwick. Last minute booking but not too bad, room average but large bathroom. Pub very quiet and played awful canned music but fortunately not at breakfast which was well cooked and good. Need bit more choice ie fresh fruit.

Room Tip: Room 10 has large corner bath but very steep stairs to access
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

A wonderful feeling of olden times - outside and in. Originally I was put in a single room - non on suite facing the main road. I awoke early as alas the windows were not soundproof to the traffic that gets going around 6am. The shower in the corridor was woeful - hardly more power than a tap. However, on complaining about this I was moved to a larger en suite room which was fab. Top marks for this however if the place had been full I would have been stuck. The place is charming with the fireplace a real feature in the evening. All in all a bit of fun and on complaining I was treated very well.

Room Tip: Ask for en suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Grimaud, France
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at this pub/hotel whilst visiting friends in the area. We were looking for a hotel that accepted dogs and this was not easy!! In fact when we got there they did accept our dog but said their entry on the internet was incorrect!
This is a very old, historical building with doors and floors at odd angles and sizes and one several of the rooms you need to be small, like me, not to have to stoop to get in!
The food was pub food at its best and we really enjoyed our dinner. Breakfast was served by the proprietor who was very friendly and the "full English" was appreciated.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laurence737
Cheltenham
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I chose this hotel purely due to a long journey and was so taken aback from when i stepped inside. The exterior is certainly charming but the warm welcome and the gorgeous fireplace really set off the inside too.
I enjoyed a weekend break here and this is my third visit within the last three years. I was yet again welcomed by the friendly bar lady and then bumped into the manageress who remembered me due to my smile. It was so lovely that she actually recognised a client after all this time as she must meet hundreds to remember every year.
i must say that the cleansiness of the hotel is flawless and the attitude and atmosphere has always been terrific and i was not disappointed this time either. I also got to enjoy one of Sweetie's home made currys and have to admit mine is nothing compared to hers now so i will not be cooking curry again!
This is a hotel that welcomes everyone and all are treated well. Breakfast was amazing and i could ask for poached egges and grilled tomatoes with no problem and if your lucky enough to stay you can meet Sweetie during breakfasts too as she has taken this shift on for a while. There is nothing sweeter that being welcomed in the morning by such a sweet and smily face and to be honest i do not think any one could smile as much as this lady. And its contagious, you just feel obliged to smile too, which is a good thing and very rare to come across these days. It is obvious to see that she loves he place and is the backbone of this hotel. i do not doubt that without her and her team it would not be the same at all.
i will be travelling to Warwick again after christmas and am sure i will write a glorious review again.
If you are l;ooking for a comfortable, clean stay with a hugely friendly atmosphere then this is the place and you will never forget it! Yes it has sloping floors and some small doors but what is to be expected of an old building and we all get a bit tired with age but this place is kept exactly how it should be and very original to any hotel i have stayed in. The nicest part of my stay was the fact i can sit here typing this with a smile on my face. The hotel has such a close family feeling and include everyone into this and i will definitely be going back!!!!!!! And as for breakfast, if juice, tea and coffee, cereals, toast and a lovely home cooked full english breakfast by one of the smiliest ladies in the world does not suit, then i do not know what a better alternative could be. Well done to the Tudor House Group, keep it up!!!

Room Tip: The four poster rooms have just had new beds and curtains and look absolutely amazing. i was able to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ElizabethCheltenham
Adstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Well! We chose this lovely old hotel as it was close to the motorway & it looked so interesting! We recieved a very good reception for us weary travellers (and we were!) beautiful 15th century old inn & our Jane Seymour room required bending double to get through the doorway! The owner, Sweetie, was just that & we enjoyed a very happy, comfortable night there. All the staff could not have been more friendly. I personally would have prefered less commercial boards set outside the hotel to retain the antiquity of the building & a bit more care re tubs of flowers outside. Sweetie has recently taken over the running of the family hotel so perhaps she will turn her hand to upgrading the image, inside & outside, and take her hotel to the next level without loosing any of its charm. Oh, and if you arrive early you will park outside with ease. We highly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: Jane Seymour was nice but the loo was next door - perhaps ask for an en suite!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family