“Ladies who lunch return.....”
Review of The Durham Ox

The Durham Ox
Ranked #49 of 142 Restaurants in Warwick
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: ...An historic country pub situated in the heart of Warwickshire. We are proud to offer great Ales, Wines, Continental Lagers and even cocktails in our lounge/bar, with professional yet personable great service in our restaurant. ...We boast two lovely gardens, with the rear one containing a children's play area, large function marquee complete with fully stocked outside bar. ...Pop in and say hello, you might stay longer than you thought!
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This has always been of the favourites on my list but has suffered the odd "blip" in management when it has gone downhill as a result. Two mature ladies who regularly lunch gave it a go again and were very impressed with the standard and choice of the Prix Fixe menu at £12.50 for 3 courses.The staff were friendly and helpful as ever and lets hope a few more lunchtime customers may put it back on the map again.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My partner and l were staying in the area and wondered where to go for a special meal, we chatted with another couple where we were staying and they suggested this place, I have to say the food and the service was very good and I can't wait until we are in the area to go there again. It is difficult to find a good place to meet up with friends and enjoy a great evening, this will not disapoint. My congrats to them for a really memorable evening, thank you.

1  Thank crazyannie
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I went to the Durham Ox for lunch with friends and thoroughly enjoyed a three course meal for £12.50 which I found to be very good value. My friends had been for dinner before and had a good experience but it was my first visit here and I will definitely be returning. We were warmly greeted as we came in and the waitress was very attentive throughout our meal. The food was fantastic, the fixed price menu had great vegetarian options (which I sometimes struggle with) and the portions were a good size with just enough room for desert. The a la carte menu looks very impressive and I look forward to returning so I can try some of the dishes. Overall a great experience and I would recommend it!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My first visit to the Durham Ox was just before Christmas 2011 on a very busy Friday evening. The food was superb, the service excellent and staff extremely friendly. I have been twice since because it was so good and cannot understand why anyone would want to visit three times if their first experience was bad! On each visit, I have been treated with courtesy and having tried three different meals, can't wait to go back for a fourth!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have read the recent reviews and had to check if it was the same place. I haven't done this before and just felt I had to get my view across as we had a fantastic time.

We went in with some friends on Saturday night. We had spent the day in Warwick and then fancied a nice meal out in the countryside. Coming from Coventry didn't really know the area all that well. We spoke to a couple of people and they said Claverdon and shrewley was a nice area. The Durham ox was the first pub we came across so we stopped to see if they had any places free.

We walked in and it seemed busy so we said we would just have a drink. When we enquired they said that they could get us in. We had a drink in the bar whilst waiting for the table. The bar seemed busy with locals who all seemed to be having a good time. Infact it was quite funny as they were all glued to the telly watching wipeout and lots of ohhs and ahhs. One person even apologised on behalf of his friends. We said we were quite enjoying it ourselves so he made sure we could all see.

We were then asked if we would like to go through to the restaurant. It was very nicely decorated modern and fresh and very interesting paper actually.

Anyway we decided to skip starters and go straight for the main. I had steak my wife had Chicken and our friends had the fish. whilst waiting for the meals the staff were excellent and came over every few minutes to see if were okay and if we needed anything drinks etc.

We had to wait around 15 mins for our meal. When the food arrived it looked and smelt great. My steak was cooked just how I had asked. The rest of the group commented how nice theirs was, perhaps a few more chips would have been nice. The staff were very helpful and made sure we were happy with everything.

We even decided to have deserts which again were all very nice. When we had finished at no time were we rushed. In fact the staff asked if we would like more drinks at the table or we could move in to the bar. We said we would have our coffee's in the bar if that was ok ? not a problem they replied.

The bar was a little less busy but still had a good atmosphere. The coffee's came over and we sat in front of the fire drinking and just watching what seemed to be locals enjoying themselves.

The journey back to Coventry and the whole time was spent praising the food and the staff of the Durham Ox. Let me tell you we are not easy to please. In fact we enjoyed it so much that we have mentioned it to a couple of our other friends, we are now having to organise another trip over with few other friends.

Keep up the good work. The food and service was great and you should be very proud. Just hope next time is as good as the last one. Thank you for making us feel special and welcomed.