“Expensive”

Warwick Castle
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Warwick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Imagine a totally electrifying day out at Britain’s ultimate castle. Where you can immerse yourself in a thousand years of jaw-dropping history – come rain or shine.Where ancient myths and spell-binding tales set your imagination alight, and your hair on end. Where princesses are pampered and maidens are wooed, as winners become true heroes and losers are confined to dark, dank dungeons to be forgotten for eternity. It could only be Warwick Castle.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We came over the Christmas period with an offer through Warwick Castle facebook site. I wouldn't pay full price fr a visit though so book in advance or look out for offers.
The princess Tower was a huge hit with my young girls as were the bird displays. We enjoyed a lovely cooked dinner which was worth paying for.
If you get a basic ticket though you will have to pay for extras like merlin tower or dungeons.
The free displays they have on are great for the children to watch.
I would recommend if coming in the summer bringing a picnic as there are some lovely grounds.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,435)
All reviews
in 376 reviews
"jousting"
in 1,734 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had always wanted to go and was slightly disappointed. Not particularly on with what was on offer but with expense once there. Family tickets nearly £100!! Then when you get in. £6 to park, £9 to go in to the dungeons.£3.50 to go in to Merlins Tower...the cost was endless. They offer meal packages that start from £17.00 for all you can eat that day..and that was for a child up to the age of 11 so you can imagine the adult price. Absolutely ridiculous. Would not recommend going to anyone who us on a budget. Very disappointed and astounded at all the extras!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We visited this castle on a hot morning a few weeks ago. I was skeptical, viewing this almost as an attraction rather than a castle, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

I must say that I didn't do the dungeon (not my style) or the Merlin tower (never seen the show), but we did take in the trebuchet firing and birds of prey shows. Definitely would recommend both of those! If you can get up there early, perhaps the best place to view the trebuchet firing is from the Mound (see your castle map). Granted, I didn't climb this tower until after the show, so I didn't know that prior, but you do get a great view of the trebuchet and field from the Mound tower.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Birds of Prey show as well. However, if you're scared of giant birds, it may not be for your, as there were a few times I had to duck to avoid getting swiped in the head. (Probably wouldn't actually have gotten hit, but they were low-flying.) We saw two different kinds of eagles, a vulture, and some other various types. the gentleman was very knowledgeable, and shared his knowledge over a loud speaker so everyone could hear. I've gone to many a zoo and seen many an animal show; this ranked among the best.

Another attraction that was well liked by my daughter was the Princess Tower. I've found that castles, in general, are geared towards little boys, young knights, and squires, so it was good to see that Warwick Castle has something particularly for little girls! (Not that little boys can't go, but it is the "Princess" tower.) I was also glad to see this wasn't an additional paying expense. I won't divulge too many of the secrets, but there's princesses, a frog, a prince, a magic mirror, and a pea. A word of advice, however, go early, and they'll give you a time to come back. (In this way, they can monitor the number of people they let in at once.) My daughter loved it.

Also take the time to climb the towers. It's a lot of steps, and the only complaint I had about the castle (and this can't be helped) is that the school groups that were there took forever to get up and down the stairs, in addition to making it quite loud in the spiral staircases.

Once again, I could have spent more time at this castle, but onward to Stratford-Upon-Avon for the afternoon.

I would recommend looking into a 2-for-1 deal somewhere (I know they're out there), to save on the cost. As the title says, this attraction is quite expensive, but it's worth it, especially it you're going to spend the day!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Its a lovely place but highly commercialised. Its just a big money making scheme. I recommend looking on ebay for cheap tickets rather than pay the rip off prices at the counter. The princess tower was a big hit with my 6 year old daughter, they dressed the girls up as princesses and took their pictures which were ofcourse available to buy afterwards at £7 each. The entire princess tower experience is about 20mins. Face painting on the grounds is a further £7.

My two year old son was too young for alot of the shows such as jousting and sword fighting and my daughter is not into "boys stuff". The best bits for us, were seeing the birds of prey, we missed the show when they go into flight which was a shame. The peacock gardens were great as we got to admire the beauty of the peacocks from very close up. The garden itself was nothing amazing.

You are quite restricted to what you can do if you have a pram. And its difficult getting in to the castle from the main entrance if you have a pram as there are several flights of stairs. We did not stay for all the shows as the kids got quite tired. It was a pleasant day, but you need quite alot of money. Definitely take a picnic. And chose a dry day to go as most things are outdoors.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Based on several so-so reviews of Warwick Castle and having toured lots of other castles throughout the UK, which led us to suspect this was a cheesy tourist trap, we were hesitant to visit. But having done so today (two adults, one teenager), I can truthfully say that we had a fabulous day and are mystified why others were negative. Admittedly, the place is aimed at families so many of the attractions might not have been as attractive to older and childless folks. Take an ancient castle that is mostly intact or restored, add a dollop of Disney, and top it off with wax figures from Madame Tussaud, and you have a rough approximation of Warwick Castle. It lacks some of the efficiency of a typical Disney attraction but it more than makes up for it by having the historical bona-fides that Disney "castles" lack. Yes, there were lots of places where you could spend money beyond your admission but they were not generally obtrusive and the food/beverages were surprisingly affordable. (A bottle of pop that you could refill all day cost 6 pounds; a major bargain considering the temperature today topped out at 31'C.) True, there were some parts that we could have productively missed, such as the show based on the Merlin TV show that was really, really lame and too commercial. (They took your photo at the beginning then tried to sell you a copy as you left. What a surprise -- not.) On the other hand, the Dungeon tour was a hoot, even if it was mostly predictable! Some other highlights were the jousting and hand-warfare demonstrations and the birds-of-prey show. I especially liked the show by the Warwick Warriors because they made the battles seem authentic -- telling us in specific terms how Hollywood typically gets these things wrong -- yet blended it with a lot of humour. The trebuchet (catapult) was a lot of fun to see in operation. (Cool as it was, it would have been even better to seeing that flaming ball fly through the air at night!) The old castle residence is nicely preserved, the guided tours were informative, and the wax figures distributed throughout the building really made the place come alive; a lot better than the Disney animatronic robots ever could. All in all, everyone in our party had a good time -- although we disagreed on what was the best part -- and all came away thoroughly entertained. Highly recommended!

1  Thank mb1870