“Expensive day out!”

Warwick Castle: Admission Ticket
Ranked #1 of 48 things to do in Warwick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Imagine a totally electrifying day out at Britain’s ultimate castle. Where you can immerse yourself in a thousand years of jaw-dropping history – come rain or shine.Where ancient myths and spell-binding tales set your imagination alight, and your hair on end. Where princesses are pampered and maidens are wooed, as winners become true heroes and losers are confined to dark, dank dungeons to be forgotten for eternity. It could only be Warwick Castle.
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Just visited the castle this weekend. I managed to get cheap tickets on ebay (about a fiver each) which i am so glad I did as I would have been really cheesed off to have paid the full price just to look around the castle! The falconry display was great. We followed a couple of tours which were really informative. We paid extra to do the archery. Extra £8 each to do the dungeons attraction - husband and daughter liked it! Extra £3.50 each to do the Merlin attraction - DON'T BOTHER - rubbish!!! Although we had a nice day, there wasn't much else on. Maybe if you visit in the school holidays there is more entertainment going on. i would recommend getting the drink capsule for £6 - you can refill it with coke all day for free - saves a fortune!

4  Thank JayneStewart
Write a ReviewReviews (12,022)
All reviews
in 363 reviews
"school holidays"
in 148 reviews

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I'm surprised to find that I came away having learnt very little. The first thing I expected to see was something telling us when the castle was actually built, and who by. I didn't see this. How could it not be mentioned ? It should be the first thing you see ! It's possible it's hidden away somewhere, but I really felt it was lacking in the whole history side.

My second issue was the price. We paid full price, and I was disgusted to be honest at what full price is.

The birds of prey show was the only thing that made it worthwhile for me. The jousting wasn't on, and many of the little huts etc were closed. It felt very half hearted. There were other displays (archery it looked like). These were also closed.

Oh and the staff who were dressed up. I'm not sure what they were MEANT to do, but only the girl seemed to be doing anything. We spotted two men in one of the buildings, who were having a moan to each other about something. They went quiet when we came in, then resumed their conveersation as we left. I have no idea why they were there ? They were dressed up and I can only assume they were meant to be playing the part of the characters, however we just felt that we had interrupted their conversation.

In summary, the castle itself was quite impressive, but it was lacking in historical information. I wasn't sure where we were meant to "start" the tour, and when asked was told it didn't matter. The price was ridiculous, half the features were closed or non existent, and the staff were being paid to stand around chatting or moaning (apart from the girl who we saw telling chdilren she was as a ghost). The above things spoilt it for us. Aswell as the fact that the car park is an additional £5. £47 for 2 adults to visit a castle is just ridiculous. And that was the cheapest price. We didn't even get to see a couple of the shows.

7  Thank 52,747
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I had wanted to visit Warwick Castle for some years now as it always looked like there was plenty to see. How wrong could I have been. This is a complete rip-off. After paying £59 to get in I was totally gob-smacked to find that we would be expected to pay £7.80 extra per person for one attraction, £3 something each for another etc, etc. Nothing appeared authentic except the castle itself. There was very little on the history of the place. After spending about an hour on the premises we decided to leave as it was so awful.

5  Thank sallys_2010
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Fills in a good 3 hours if you aren't doing any of the attractions within the castle for which there are additional charges eg dungeons and merlin.
In walking distance of Warwick town so best to park up for both things as it's £5 to park at castle.
Also plenty of picnic areas which is great for taking your own food.
Lots of interesting areas and spectacular grounds.
You would need to be dressed for the weather.
I would also suggest looking out for special offers as I feel it could work out for an expensive day out .

1  Thank 10JET1
See more reviews
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I agree fully with everything said by the previous reviewer, and feel compelled to reiterate the point about the Merlin Dragon Tower - its really not worth the money, don't worry about missing out, if anything's its a boring, long winded affair.

The castle is incredible and and the history fascinating - we particularly enjoyed the guided tours/talks, one particular member of staff completely captivated us with his conspiracy on Sir Faulke Greville being the real author of Shakespeare's works :)

I would recommend this place to anyone with an interest in history, but bear in mind it is expensive. Also, there's a massive trek to get back to your car at the end of the day and little here to interest younger children. Its totally unsuitable for pushchairs or the mobility impaired. Also, as is to be expected from these places, the food is rubbish :)