“Work in Progress”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Warwick
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Work in Progress”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were a part of a group of around 60 plus people on a reunion weekend in Warwickshire. The Hotel was chosen by The Secretary of The Association because it provided facilities to cater for large groups and offered a BIG dining hall suitable for our main function.

The Hotel sits about 7 miles north of the M42 on the A4177. There are no nearby facilities (shops, petrol stations etc). However, a couple of National Trust sites are located within a 5 mile radius of The Hotel. The Post Code that I used on my Satnav took me to a Business Park about a half a mile further north of The Hotel.

Plenty of parking available. Initial impression on our arrival was that The Hotel is 'tired' and in need of redecoration and brightening up. Reception was satisfactory. It depended on which lady dealt with you as to whether the greeting felt warm, or as tired as The Hotel! Our Thanks and appreciation to 'The Young Blond Lady' in reception.

Our room was on the first floor (no lifts), but we were offered assistance with our cases. The room (20) had a damaged door with a confusing choice of key locks, only one of which worked, with some difficulty (not good for an elderly person with arthritus). The door added to the impression that a lot of work is needed to smarten the place up. The room is a fair size with an en-suite bathroom. The shower is over the bath and has the old fashioned 'curtain on a rail' type of protection. Towels and hand cloths are of a good standard. The bed was adequate, but we did not get a good nights sleep on either night. Some road noise from The A4177 is present but not too intrusive. The facilities are adequate, but the room is in need of up dating.

The Hotel provided a large function room that we used for all our meals. This worked out very well, and proved to be most suitable for our Association Dinner on the second evening. Breakfast was Buffet style. The first breakfast was O'k but showed up a few organisational glitches. They were addressed by the staff and mostly resolved for the second breakfast. Dinner on the first evening was adequate but not up to our expectations. Again the staff responded well and The Association Dinner, on the second evening, was to a much better standard.

Our AGM was held in a side room that was adequate for purpose. A last minute delivery of chairs was required to provide for the numbers attending the meeting. Because The Hotel Management knew how many of us were present, most in their 70's and 80's, it was not good that they had not placed enough seating for The Meeting prior to the event.

It soon became clear that when approached The Management (new management) were keen to listen to comments and criticisms and generally responded well. Most of The Staff are pleasent and considerate people. In particular, 'Grant' proved to be attentive, considerate and open to ideas and suggestions.

My one BIG gripe is that it was likened to herding cats when it came to trying to keep the barman at the Bar to provide service. Several of our large group got fed up chasing back and forwards to reception to regain bar service. This was unacceptable, particularly for a large group who were there to socialise and enjoy each others company. Other Hotel guests suffered the same problem and were very vocal about this poor standard of service. My wife noted that while I was chasing down the barman (again and again) over 16 customers approached the bar for drinks and left in disgust! Hotel management PLEASE NOTE!!!

Thankfully, on the second evening our group were provided with a seperate bar facility in the main dining area. This worked very well.

Overall The Honiley Court Hotel was suitable as a venue for a reunion, but unsatisfactory regarding The Hotels general condition. However, we got (from Grant) the strongest impression that he and his team are working hard to turn the hotel around. I hope so because I believe that our Committee intend to use The Hotel again next year!

Our thanks to Grant, and The young blond lady at reception. They worked hard and were considerate to us 'Senior Citizens'!

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of The Hotel avoid road noise from The A4177.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank HRH84
MrChrisLugg, General Manager at Honiley Court Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
It was an honour for us to host the Association's annual re-union over last week end, and we are tremendously pleased that the organising committee and association members were so pleased with the hotel and the staff team's services that they have voted to return to us next year as well.

We are therefore grateful for your constructive criticism which will enable us to provide better tailor made services for your future re-unions and we also thank you for your kind comments of praise for our staff team.

Chris Lugg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

A great hotel not far from Warwick Castle. Which my wife and I visited during the Easter Break. Mainly a hotel for weddings and functions.However reception staff were very helpful and the room was clean and overlooking the countryside. Location is a little isolated and easier to get there by car rather then train or bus. You have to take a cab or taxi to the local railway station and very near to Leamington Spa. On the whole a delightful hotel for anyone looking for a week3end break

Room Tip: I would book both the breakfast and dinner in future,As there are no cafes or restaurants nearby and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, particularly thank you for your comments about your room cleanliness and the restaurant services. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Honiley Court whenever you next visit the area.

malmesbury town
Reviewed September 14, 2012

poor rundown property thatsin need of a complete clean and paint,not to mention the fact that they have rooms that i would not want my dogs to sleep in and the staff all could do with a lesson in manners and smile from time to time this has not been a plesent experience and i dont enjoy putting my complaints down on paper but i needed to warn other people that you would be better off going and finding another hotel , the breakfast is overbaked on warmers and the toaster turns out charcoaled bread,well all i can say is i would sleep in the car rather than stop here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank allanuknewnton
MrChrisLugg, General Manager at Honiley Court Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Mr Newton

I am disappointed and surprised to read your very critical review of the hotel and our services, particularly as during your stay you did not bring to the hotel management's notice any of the issues that you have written about, and having now investigated these, they are not factual. Should you wish to discuss your review further I would be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel

Chris Lugg

Travelers are raving about these Warwick hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I agree with many reviews here- that it could perhaps do with a bit of updating- however, the reception staff- particularly the young blond lady- more than made up for inadequacies elsewhere with attentiveness and helpfulness (and a smashing smile) seldom found nowadays. Well done.Any issues encountered were quickly remedied. A good sleep and breakfast which set me up for the rest of the day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 987MollyJ
MrChrisLugg, General Manager at Honiley Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write and let Trip Advisor readers know how much you enjoyed your brief stay at the Honiley Court Hotel. Thanks also for your kind words of appreciation of the services provided by our reception team. I am sure this will motivate them to greater standards of professionalism, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit the area.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the BHC Hotel in August for one night. When I booked the hotel I had seen the reviews and was concerned about the lack of quality in the hotel but as we had a hotelvouchershop voucher to use this was the best hotel avaiable for us on the day. When we arrived we weren't too impressed by the place, it was very quiet and the grounds looked in need of some care and attention, but the reception was OK and the receptionist was helpful. Our room was a std room but on our way to the room we noticed the walls and floor areas were looking shabby and in need of some decoration and cleaning. The room itself was OK on first inspection but later we saw that the bathroom was dirty especially around the shower head and sink areas and the carpet was in need of some cleaning. The facilities in the room all worked bar one bedside lamp. We didn't want to eat in the hotel restaurant so we went to a local village and eat there. Upon returning to the hotel I went to the bar to get a drink and there was no barperson there, so, after a few minutes wait, I walked back to reception and asked for someone to assist me. When he came, I have to say I wished he hadn't, as the drinks were very expensive eg £9.60 for a lager and wine. The bed was most comfortable and we did enjoy a good nights sleep. When we went down for breakfast however we had another disappointment, there was no milk for the cereals and also no bacon for the cooked breakfast and I had to ask for both to be available and this was around 08:30. The tables and chairs were tired looking and the general environment was very shabby in the restaurant. The staff were helpful but then they had to be as there were so many requests from me and other people for assistance, food, information etc. When we checked out, the receptionist thought we were staying 2 nights despite only booking for one and this was the same receptionist who was on call at 17:30 and 23:30 the previous day - she appears to work very long hours. The hotel is 2 floors high with no lift and this was unfortunate for us although I am sure if I had looked hard on the hotel website I would have found this information. All in all a disappointing experience. Oh and by the way don't ask me about HotelVoucher shop services as that was another major disappointment, we ended up paying £78.60 for a £55 room!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CliveTheJive
MrChrisLugg, General Manager at Honiley Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I regret that the poor service you mention receiving from Hotel vouchershop appears to have prejudiced your opinion of the hotel, and I am sorry that you felt our bar prices were high, but I assure you that our bar prices are very much in line with other hotels and public houses in the area, with identical pricing for a pint of premium lager and a large glass of wine.

Thank you for your comment that the room and bed were most comfortable, so that you enjoyed a good night's sleep, and we are also gratified at your feedback on the helpfulness of the Reception staff.

At the same time however I have noted your feedback on the maintenance of the grounds which have now been upgraded in August following the long wet July. I have also noted your comments on the breakfast service, where buffet dishes were not replenished as promptly as they usually are. I am sorry about this and thank you for your feedback which has been reveiwed with our restaurant team to ensure it does not happen again.

london
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed at hotel recently as part of a coach party. Would rate hotel 3 start and not 4 star. Hotel surroundings fairly modern and room was reasonable standard with comfortable beds and no cause for complaint. Everytime I went for a drink at bar during afternoon or evening, there was no-one there and I had to return to reception to ask for assistance which did come fairly quickly. My suggestion would be for a telephone to be placed at bar connected to reception when bar assistance is required. This would save customers having to keep walking between reception and bar to get a drink. Restaurant food was variable, sometimes very good and other times lacking somewhat. Breakfast was not great, small eggs and hard bacon (every morning). The one toaster was awful, you either got toast that hadn't actually toasted or it was very burned (sometimes had to be thrown away). My toast even went on fire one day! Tea and coffee were always lukewarm and sometimes undrinkable. The best tea and coffee (and hottest) was made in our bedroom. The large metal containers with heavy lids were difficult for old people to lift the lids and either different way of serving food should be used or a member of staff should be on hand, particularly at breakfast, to dish out food personally. The hotel reception and catering staff were very friendly and helpful and some went over and above the call of duty to help. Would stay here again but the new manager really needs to look at improving the customer experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MrChrisLugg, General Manager at Honiley Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent stay with us.

The bar staff are occasionally called away from the bar counter to serve bar snacks or to replenish ice and stock. I regret that this caused delay in your drinks service and have noted your suggestion to install a phone there so that staff at reception can be alerted to guests needs at such a time and immediately assist in the service of drinks.

I have also noted your comments on the breakfast service and will ensure that the chef continually tops up the breakfast buffet with freshly cooked supplies. As regards the toaster, we have set it to provide perfectly prepared toast but unfortunately the settings are sometimes adjusted by other guests to suit their needs so we have now displayed the correct settings above the toaster to help alleviate this problem.

Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Attended a work function here and first impression was very good. Coffee, tea etc was provided pre-meeting, teaspoons came out 10mins later by which time drinks were luke warm. Further 30 mins passed and lovely home made (still warm) biscuits came out, by which time we had finished the drinks. Couldnt fault the room..comfy bed and 2 pillows each. We were on the 2nd floor and the bedroom window lock was broken so we could have quite easily "ended it all" by leaning too far out! Service was horrendous and breakfast terrible.....rubber eggs, overcooked bacon, toaster that doesnt toast/burns, cold tea and lousy coffee! Just as well we didnt return to the room after breakfast!

• Stayed August 2012
Amitummat, Director of Sales at Honiley Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Guest

We do thank you for your feedback during your stay and attendance at work event. We are in the process of looking at all windows across the hotel and have taken note of all rooms used by your group so that the window locks can be rechecked and properly repaired. Our Operations Manager who has recently joined us is bringing in to play new standards for breakfast service, we have also spoken to our Breakfast Chef regarding the unsatisfactory breakfast that would appear to have been served for which we do apologise. Really glad to hear that you enjoyed the biscuits but we would completely agree that they would have tasted so much better with the drinks. We are pleased to say that with our new operations manager and extended service team that we are confident that when returning you will see our service as it should be.
Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to Honiley Court again in the future.