“Stayed here 3 times in past 3 years, still excellent.”
Review of Loxley Guest House

Loxley Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warwick
Loxley Guest House
Ranked #22 of 23 Warwick B&B and Inns
Cumbria
“Stayed here 3 times in past 3 years, still excellent.”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We were always made welcome and as it is B=B only, were given good places for dinner.
Good sized clean rooms with modern decor. Lovely cooked breakfast with eggs from their own hens.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank branleyite

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Jersey CI
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I received a very pleasant welcome when I arrived at Loxley Guest House. The proprietor kindly allowed me to check in early so that I could freshen up before attending a wedding and had reshuffled her diary so that she could be there to meet me. She seemed happy to discuss my travel arrangements and gave me some good parking advice for when I went it to Stratford.

I stayed in what I think was the only ground floor room. It was very pleasantly appointed and had a modern shower room, a good quality television on the wall and an inviting looking tea tray. The bed sheets looked nice and clean and there was no visible dust or stains on the neutral coloured carpet. The room had three little lamps, down lighters and blackout curtains. It faced on to the main road but I didn't hear much traffic during the early morning so it wasn't a problem.

It was a bit disappointing that there were two spiders on the bedroom ceiling and quite a lot of cob webs. The shower glass was badly watermarked and was wet and the towels weren't well folded which made me wonder if they had been used before (although they smelt fresh and had perhaps just been done in a hurry so they were ready for my early arrival - photos on arrival uploaded). The "Luxurious Gilchrist & Soames Spa Therapy" toiletries advertised on the web site weren't provided (There was a G&S shower cap but the soap and shower gel were by a cheap looking brand). In fairness to my hosts I didn't raise any of these issues at the time so it is quite possible that they would have rectified them if they'd been given the opportunity. I would normally give people a chance to fix that sort of thing by letting them know at the time but had been rather put off by the comments I had seen here about the husband's manner or dealing with guests). I did meet him briefly on the way out to the wedding and although I couldn't fairly describe him as friendly he was civil and we exchanged some brief pleasantries. (Incidentally and slightly off topic I told someone at the wedding reception that I was staying at the B&B a mile along the road and they replied by asking me if it was the one with the scary husband. It is amazing the reach that Trip Advisor has!). Anyhow as I said he was fine with me and his wife was really friendly so no problems during my stay.

I got back quite late and found the shower to be nice and powerful, that the water was hot and that the bed was comfortable so I got a good nights sleep. Breakfast was really good and served bang no time and on a boiling hot plate. The toast was carefully set on a piece of kitchen paper and wrapped up inside a napkin to keep it fresh - a very nice touch. I was interested to see that one of the three jams in the basket was a good quality "Bonne Mamon" one whilst the other two were by what I consider to be a budget mass catering brand. The OJ was poor quality but the rest of the breakfast ingredients were of a really good standard. In conjunction with the lack of the G & S toiletries this made me wonder if the B & B was on a cost cutting mission.

The Guest House has a lovely garden with lots of colourful plants and a nice, small lawn. The chickens were fun to watch whilst I ate breakfast. All in all I was happy with my one night stay and would be happy to recommend the place to someone looking for a comfortable place in a quiet location but still within very easy driving distance of Stratford.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank JsyCream
burntoak, Owner at Loxley Guest House, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Why this guest after confirming he had read previous negative comments made on this site prior to him staying, chose to stay, and then spends hours regurgitating realms of mass produced unsubstantiated waffle is suspect. Why would you stay in the first place? If you thought is was true you would surely not stay.

These type of reviewers seem to be the same type of individual who feel it appropriate to use this forum as a means of trying to disrupt a persons business and generate further conversation based on their comments. We find this rather tragic.

Although this forum is open to abuse and does not substantiate any of the comments made as they are just opinions from a minority of guests, it has to be said we have many valued guests who return time after time, and pay no attention to this kind of nonsense.

Addressing the points made:-

How anyone at a wedding reception would have known the owner is beyond belief - reference being scary. In any case why refer to it after the event when by his own words 'he was fine with the owner !!!

All toiletries are Gilchrist and Soames new zero range if he had looked on the reverse of the bottle, it clearly states the manufacturer.

As the house has beams dating back to the 1700's on occasion spiders will appear although I have not seen Fred this year!!

The shower was still wet as we had allowed him to check in early (3 hours earlier than normal), so room had only recently been cleaned after last occupant had left room. The thanks for letting someone check in early!!!

The jam and orange juice served are deemed more than acceptable by the tourist board and unless the person reads the EU directives regarding Jam then he is know position to comment. They meet the standards laid down to be called Jam. This reviewer refers to the Bonne Maman as 'good quality jam' . Again he clearly has no knowledge on this matter as their is a higher fruit content in our usual so called 'budget mass catering jams', which had unfortunately sold out.

We were awarded a commendation as per our website for our breakfast which included the same breakfast ingredients and jams etc that this guest refers to and happily consumed. Say no more !!!

Luckily the comments made by this individual are not at all typical of what we receive in our guest visitors book or on Late Rooms and hope prospective guest treat the comments made by this reviewer accordingly. If there were inherent problems the reviews would be consistent on Late rooms. Obviously we would act upon constructive criticism but not this sort of nonsense.

We stress that we truly welcome guests who want a pleasant and relaxed stay without the need to make such comments or have alternative motives
Gatwick
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We found Loxley Guest House following a recommendation from a friend and we were not disappointed. We received a warm welcome from Joules and Andrew and following check in were shown to our rooms. Our room was extremely clean, tastefully decorated and had all that you needed for a extremely comfortable stay. The shower was very powerful and the bed particularly comfortable.Breakfast was really good with fresh eggs from their own chickens..We found the whole stay extremely enjoyable and will certainly return and thanks.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nowajp
Manchester
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Got the overwhelming feeling guests and the whole business idea of running a guest house was a huge inconvenience for the owner.

Lovely Guest House, unfortunately lacking the staff to match.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank SmilingHappyFamilies
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We often visit Stratford to see the plays and are always looking for a new place to stay afterwards.
The Loxley Guest House is a new business. Several farmworkers cottages have been cleverly converted into a character-full yet modern guesthouse.
The village itself is picturesque and the Fox pub is not too far away for an evening meal.
Our breakfast arrived at the time we asked and was outstanding.
Joules is such a hard worker and her children are delightful.
We liked the chichens at the bottom of the well-stocked garden.
We are real shakespeare fans and have stayed at lots of place around this area over the years.
The Loxley Guest House stands out and we shall be back.

• Liked — Newness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Annedeg
London
Reviewed June 30, 2009

OK, first things first. The Loxley Guest House is utterly delightful. It has been totally refurbed to a very and I do mean VERY high standard (I have stayed in some 4* hotels that were not a patch on this place). The cost (£80 per night) is at the very top end of what you'd expect to pay for a B & B but this really is a top end place.

Breakfast was first-class with eggs from the hens in the garden. The bathrooms have high quality Gilbert & Soames products in them, linens and towels were top notch and it is in a lovely location in a charming village close (5 minute drive) to the centre of Stratford.

However, as others have said, what isn't so charming, sadly, is Andy the owner. He's not "rude" as such but he's definitely not approachable and definitely in the wrong business (as is probably evident by his replies to comments on here). When you walk in through the door (and I saw him do this to other couples too) the first things he says is "What time do you want breakfast and what do you eat?" No, "Would you like to freshen up, we can talk breakfast in the morning", or even, "Hell, I've only got 5 rooms, we can play it by ear". But he stands there with his little notebook like a traffic warden! I honestly, didn't see him smile once and one morning, when we were still in the breakfast room past the strictly enforced curfew of 9am he actually came in and turned the lights out at about 9:02am!

We went out to dinner one night and mentioned this to the cab driver on the way back and he chuckled and said he heard it a lot and that he didn't understand why Andy's wife (Jools - who was charming) lets him near the customers. He went on to say that Andy's like Basil Fawlty but without the humour - which just about sums him up!

So, I'll expect the standard aggressive reply on here from him but, my advice is keep Andy well out of the way of the punters and the business will be a roaring success. Keep him there and no-one will come back.

Sorry but there you have it! Had it not have been for the owner, I would have had no hesitation in giving this place 5 stars but as it is, I'm giving it a 2.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank BigMav
York, Uk
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Unfortunately we spent only 1 night in this wonderful B&B, but it is worth a longer stay, absolutely! Even though our room was not big (but not small either) it was well furnished and nicely decorated, really charming. The place is quiet, night and day, and it was nice to be awakened by the smell of a good breakfast (excellent quality!!!). A tad expensive but it is to be expected near Stratford-uopn-Avon. A plus: the owner is very welcoming.
The place is close to Stratford-upon-Avon but it is necessary to have a car to reach the city.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple