“An unusual place - a restaurant that does excellent themed English food”
Review of Edward Moon

Edward Moon
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have eaten at Edward Moons before but not for a number of years so Valentines Day gave me the opportunity to re-acquaint myself with the restaurant and earn a few brownie points at home as well.

Being Valentine's day i had booked table for two (or course) but on arrival we were directed to a well placed table big enough for four right in the window. Lovely spot. The immediate offer to get us some drinks had to be fended off for a few minutes while we decided who was driving home. Once resolved, my wife ordered a carafe of what turned out to a very nice Gamay and I had a bottle of locally brewed Old Hooky beer. Most restaurants tend to stock a variety of bottled lagers but hardly ever any bottled bitters. While a lager is fine on a sunny summer's day to quench your thirst i prefer flavour in my beers so a restaurant that stocks Hooky and other bottled beers is a rare and welcome find.

Being Valentines' day there was a set menu rather than the usual a la carte but this had a good choice of about 8 options for each course. We started from the bottom, choosing our desserts and then worked back up the menu. I chose the salmon and crayfish tails salad as a starter and my wife the button mushrooms with us both opting for the slow roasted shank of lamb for main.

The salmon and crayfish salad was excellent, nice and light with a light but tangy lemon dressing. When the lamb shanks arrived they were cooked to perfection, falling apart at the touch of the knife but still being soft and succulent. Last time I had lamb shank like that was in a Greek restaurant where it tends to be a speciality. Beautifully cooked, on a bed of mash which maybe could have been improved by mixing with a bit of mustard and fresh veg cooked just the right side of crisp.

My wife left a little of her lamb, due to size of the portion, so when the waitress cleared the main courses away, without being prompted she said she would give us some time before coming back for the dessert orders.

When ready we called her over and ordered dessert, my wife opting for chocolate tart and cream. I am a fan of Eton mess and quite like lemony desserts anyway, having lemon curd on my pancakes two days previously instead of traditional sugar and lemon, so opted for the unusually sounding lemon curd Eton mess.

Both desserts were good, and it was only when my wife was half way through hers she remembered she had ordered cream and not the ice cream she was eating. The lemon curd Eton mess didn't quite work. A good Eton mess should be very lightly whipped up with the meringue broken up into small bits and the fruit mixed in. This one seemed to a ball of cream surrounded in meringue, with lemon compote underneath and lemon curd on top. Very lemony but not as light and fluffy as I expected.

The evening was finished off with two good black coffees and in passing we mentioned that the chocolate tart had been ordered with cream and not the ice cream that had been delivered.

When the waitress delivered the bill she hadn't charged us for the coffees as recompense for a small mistake over the ice cream. We didn't complain or ask for this so it was a thoughtful gesture.

Overall, good English food, nice bottled beers, attentive thoughtful service and a nice ambience and location on the heart of Stratford upon Avon.

Definitely worth going back without leaving a gap of a couple of years.

1  Thank Tony M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

A rare night away from the family to catch up with my sister. Great food, atmosphere and staff were extremely helpful. Lovely meal all round, thank you

1  Thank Anna M
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went to this restaurant and had a great meal the service was excellent and the quality of the food was great. I would recommend a meal here it is great value for money

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Looked on here for a while & after deciding on 2 or 3 restaurants I tried to book, they were all full as I had left it too late to book!!

Devastated and will to settle for availability I booked at Edward Moon, I have to say It was fab

Atmosphere was lovely, and despite being packed on a Saturday night, service was extremely attentive and timings were perfect.

I had the duck supper, usually a blue fillet man i didn't fancy the sirloin chop (although my wife had it and loved it) but the duck was perhaps the best I hAve ever had.

Only 4 out 5 for me due to the lack of grill options and the "cosy" table for two.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We chose this restaurant (amongst many offering a similar service of pre theatre meals). We were not disappointed. The staff were welcoming and service was prompt. The price was very competitive. The quality was very good, with generous sized portions. It was a Monday evening and few other diners were in.