“Excellent food”

Manor Grill Restaurant
Reviewed January 21, 2014

After finding hotel to be very average in every other department we were actually blown away by the quality of the food. If only they could raise their decor standards to match the quality of the menu and food - the restaurant could be truly exceptional. Breakfast the following morning was a highlight - possibly best cooked breakfast I have ever had! Proper bacon (not watery/salty etc), proper mushrooms (that tasted like they had been picked in a field) - no grease or briney water on the plate and all piping hot.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Disappointed by quality of food. Bland and over priced. Staff were however very attentive and our waiter in particular had exquisite manners

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were guests at the hotel but could not obtain a table until 2045 despite calling at 1930. When we arrived there were several tables free but also a few larger parties so presumed kitchen was busy. Good wine list but unfortunate that the "highly recommended" choice was no longer available! Updates would be a suggestion.
Starters of smoked salmon and terrine were tasty and the cote du boeuf for two was very good. Overall, a bill of £100 for two courses and a bottle of "substitute " wine all taken at a late sitting seemed OTT and therefore a second visit was not contemplated.

1  Thank pavakeal
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Aside from being loud and obnoxious on the first night and seating 5 of us at two round tables, on the second night we were dining late again at two small round tables and once the other guests had left the head waiter decided to spray the tables next to us whilst we were still on our main course.
I would expect that from the local cad, not from an up market "AA Rosette" restaurant.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

WE only went for a meal with a group of colleagues. The hotel looks great from the outside with a nice Spa. Reception areas lovely with oak pannelled walls and a beautiful fireplace-Things were looking good-they soon changed!

The bread was out waiting for us, the resemblance of the bread to a minirugby ball was matched by its taste-stale, tough and bad. My first course of soup made Cup-a-soup look thick and tasty-this was packet soup at its worst and watered down to spread the misery.

Main course of roast potatoes cooked the day before and reheated on the night made for challenging cutting up and a hard chew! The fork had prongs completely out of line which made the job harder still. The veggies were of the microwaved cheap frozen varity but were the highlight!!! The roast rib eye steak came however the chef decided (no one was asked how they wanted it) mine was over done, the wife's underdone and inedible. The gravy was ok. The large yorkshire pudding was soaked in cheap cooking oil, the bit that was free of oil was edible the rest an oilslick of disasterous proportions.

Amazingly no one asked if everything was ok-I assumed they knew it was terrible and didn't want confirmation or confrontation. My colleagues poured wine for the table (stored on a seperate table) as the waiting staff felt this too was beneath them.

The final cut came with the sticky toffee pudding which we renamed as stale brick with sugar glue with a hint of toffee essence-my word truely awful, you had to cut it with a knife! you had to taste it to believe it-horrible. The sauce was foul beyond imagination.

The coffee however was really nice! so in tradtional Shakespearion language 'All's well that ends well' I think not!

In summary
Truely awful food- the chef should be ashamed of him/herself -reheated, microwaved, stale tosh.
Waiting staff need to ask how they want their meat cooked and how the food was and pour wine
Where was the manager?-surely a group of 18 people should be greated on arrival and bed farewell on departure.

I left feeling hungry and my wife and I were ill all nght

I look forward to the managers comments!

2  Thank jfrancombe
GMAlveston, General Manager at Manor Grill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor. As General Manager of the Alveston Manor Hotel, I was very disappointed to read of the issues you experienced with dinner at the hotel and offer my sincere apologies for the shortfall in our standards. I would very much like to have the opportunity of discussing your comments with you personally, which will help me to fully investigate and ensure that immediate action is taken for the future. I would appreciate it if you can give me a call, I am more than happy to call you back. Steven Quick, General Manager