“Nice place, good athmosphere”
Review of One Elm

One Elm
Reserve with OpenTable
One Elm is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: Two minutes walk from Shakespeare's Birthplace, The One Elm is a Victorian pub with a bustling bar, a pretty sheltered courtyard & a relaxed but high quality restaurant.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We really like this place. The food is really good if you are there for a meal. The drinks are also quite nice! The athmosphere is quite chilled out and they have a real mixed crowd of people in so you don't feel too young or too old in there which is a rare thing for a pub! Courtyard is lovely on a summers day.

There are newer reviews for One Elm

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We've been 'regulars' at The One Elm for years and years, and while we're not particularly enamoured with the floral plates and bright lights of the newly refurbished One Elm, we've always been pleasantly surprised at the high standard of the Sunday roasts, particularly as we like a late lunch. The beef is pink and the roasties are fluffy. Most importantly though the Yorkshire pudding is home made! The service needs improving though. Desperately.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked to go to the One Elm for our Christmas meal and I emailed them to find out what was gluten free on the menu. I received a really nice email back from someone who told me she would make sure to make whatever I chose gluten free, if I wanted to pasta she would even go out and buy gluten free pasta just for that, so I was really pleased and couldn't believe I had found a pub that actually seemed to understand allergies.

My friend also has a nut allergy, so we checked prior to ordering the set meal that the brownies didn't have nuts in, which we were told they didn't.

When we arrived we asked again and the waitress seemed clueless about the nuts so checked and came back to say actually they did have nuts in, so it's a good job we checked or my friend would have been very very unwell.

My meal was fine, all the food was very average, luke warm and tiny portions, but I think it was gluten free so that's a start.

I visited with my friend for lunch today hoping that the average food before was just due to it being Christmas set meals and very busy.

I asked for the duck salad without cous cous due to my gluten allergy.. I was told by the Chef that cous cous is wheat free. It definitely is not. As a chef, or even as a waitress, they definitely should NOT be advising people with allergies when they clearly do not have the right knowledge.

The food was again very average, six pound salad for the smallest amount of thinly sliced tasteless duck with some spinach.

So disappointing, they used to be really good there. Definitely need to educate their staff before they make someone with allergies seriously ill.

2  Thank happyskibunny
Peach_Pubs, on behalf of the manager at One Elm, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Hi
Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your recent meals here at The One Elm.
We pride ourselves in our ability to cater for guests with allergies, and are more than happy to buy in gluten free ingredients just for this. With your meal, we had ensured that everything was gluten free for you – I’m sorry you did not enjoy this.
With the Brownies, all of our regular batches were made with nuts, however we had advised guests with nut allergies that we would be more than happy to make a fresh batch with no nuts but that this had to be pre-ordered for obvious reasons. We do try our very best to cater for any requests.
During your lunch visit there was a mix-up in communication, what you should have been told is that we normally have Quinoa that we can use as a substitute for the Cous Cous. Again I apologise for the mix up, but the team were trying their very best to help you. Unfortunately the Cous Cous is a key ingredient of the Superfood Salad you chose, so was possibly not the best choice for you.
Going forward, I have decided to produce a Gluten free menu to eradicate the communication issues. This is in process, and will be completed shortly. Please contact me at the pub as I would like you to be the very first to try it.

Thanks
Nathan

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I've been to the One Elm a few times and it's a very nice place. Great atmosphere and decor, good menu and competitive prices. We ordered their famed hanging skewers and they were delicious. The only drawback is that each time we required service, we had to wait a while to be served - when placing our initial order, when waiting to receive our order (our drinks arrived with our food, some 15mins after the order being placed), and then to place our dessert order. The waiting staff were very pleasant and showed good knowledge of the menu, but had they been a tiny bit more attentive, then it would have resulted in an overall better experience. Either way, I'd be happy to return to the One Elm because the numerous positives outweigh the minor negatives.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We had a lovely meal here at christmas time, both of us had the mussels starter and we both had the cod on garlic mash with a perfectly cooked boiled egg , delicious, good service to.