“Excellent food and service, recommended....”
Review of Essence at Old Red Lion Court - CLOSED

Essence at Old Red Lion Court
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: "Essence" is in the Old Red Lion Court, which connects Bridge Street to Sheep Street. Our team of chefs prepare all our dishes on the premises including our selection of breads, ice creams and sorbets.Essence is perfect for catching up with friends over coffee or a light lunch, business lunches, pre & post theatre meals, romantic dining, private parties in our upstairs dining room, traditional Sunday lunches and alfresco dining when the weather is suitable!Come and drop in to experience the fresh contemporary feel of our new dining and drinking environment. We look forward to welcoming you.
Narberth, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service, recommended....”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We dined here on Sat 20th Oct for a golden wedding anniversary celebration. The service was first class throughout the evening and the waiter that served us was polite and friendly. There was a choice of a three course fixed price menu that was good value at £17.50 or a more expensive a la carte option. I had the ham hock & bacon terine, half of chicken hot pot and a sticky toffee pudding with ice cream, all from the fixed price menu. Overall the food quality was very good and reasonably priced. We would definitely recommend this place to others and will be back on our next trip to Stratford.

1 Thank tuftythesquirrel

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Lunch”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My partner and I had lunch at Essence earlier this week, whilst visiting from Oxford. We were encouraged by recent very good Trip Advisor reviews, and how right they were!! We were given a warm welcome, followed by excellent service, and a lovely two-course lunch in a very calm and enjoyable atmosphere. My partner really enjoyed the pigeon breast risotto followed by sea bream, whilst I thought that the steak and kidney pudding was superb. Total cost for two people including tip, and only tap water to drink, plus coffees at the end was about £40, but well worth it. We wanted to thank the chef on our way out but couldn't quite catch his eye. I just hope that he reads this. Well done. Highly recommended!

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank AlanAbbott48
London, United Kingdom
“Great meal for a big group of 50”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We ate here as a group of 50 people on a Saturday night. The staff were very attentive and friendly. The service and food was great. Would definitely recommend whether you're a big group or just a couple.

2 Thank Richard P
Warks
“Excellent Food and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I decided on a spur of the moment lunch and went into Stratford on Upon and visited Essence.

The food was excellent, good quality and well cooked. My husband had the Fish and chips which came with minted peas. The fish was haddock and was lovely and fresh tasting and plenty of it! Minted peas were also served and neither of us could decide what the herbs/spices were which gave the peas their own unique taste. However, we needn't have worried as nothing was too much trouble for our waiter who found out the information from the chef and came to tell us it was mint and garlic.

I always like to try something different when eating out so had the goats cheese, pepper and rocket frittata which again was excellent, tasty and very filling.

The atmosphere was relaxing and interesting - we particularly liked the bowler hat lights!

We would have loved to try the desserts but we were both so full as it was lunchtime that we had to pass! But we will defiinitely be returning and next time we will go for dinner where I'm sure we'll be more able to fit that dessert in!

I would thoroughly recommend Essence, lovely setting, excellent food and very reasonably priced, a nice change to find somewhere with great prices without compromising on the quality in Stratford!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank beachl
“Amazing food and service at great prices.”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had a lovely meal with friends here last Saturday night. The food quality was high but prices were very reasonable. Service was attentive but not intrusive and the Manager looked after us very well. I had a starter of belly of pork and chorizo, followed by cod wrapped in pancetta on a wonderful prawn risotto. My husband and I shared a wicked chocolate tart with cherries. Can't fault this restaurant. Shame we live in London and not Stratford!

1 Thank MrsJulieRoper