“Great no frills place!”

The Salmon Tail
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Description: The Salmon Tail pub is located near to Stratford upon Avon Town Centre. We are a traditional pub with a modern edge and pride ourselves on the quality of our products and the high level service that we offer. Our food is home cooked locally sourced and sensibly priced. If you are looking for a drink, whether that be Gin, Real Ale, Lager, Wine, Spirits or Soft drinks then our lounge area will offer you a calm, quiet and relaxed area to do so. Add our brand new open fire and the scene will be set. Finally follow us on Facebook to see events like our monthly Live Music Nights, Gin Nights, Cider Festival, Jazz Nights that are held throughout the year - or why not join us every Sunday from 8.30pm for our Quiz!
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

What a great place! Every time I visit I am ensured of a friendly welcome from the Landlord and Landlady! The food is great, cooked by the Landlord himself. If you're lucky, you'll catch a great live band or watch the footie. Darts and pool also available.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

The food was functional not brilliant but edible. The steak was tough but the rest was cooked ok. The service was awful and the barman was clearly more interested in his laptop than customers. When we went to the bar to order dessert he acted surprised to see us, like he had forgotten we were there.

The pub clearly has a local crowd who it must have said on all their report card, don't play well with others. They were loud, unwelcoming and some of their language was clearly not suitable for anyone with a family. The conversations at time were racist and sexist.

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse a dog comes into the bar. Although I did think to myself where was he 10 minutes ago whilst I was trying to digest my steak. I could have dropped him a couple of bites although I may have been done for animal cruelty.

I feel obliged when writing this to at least find one positive so here are two. The guy who served the food was very friendly and professional and the toilets were clean.

My advice to anyone thinking of calling in here would be drive 10 minutes down the road to The Tramway Inn and have a real quality meal. Leave the locals to their Salmon Tail where they can drag their knuckles over the threshold without strangers observing.

2  Thank Sam A
Salmon T, Owner at The Salmon Tail, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Whilst we welcome constructive criticism and try to learn from any issues raised we find this review contradictory, sensationalistic and malicious.

To clarify we have two separate areas of the pub – one for eating and one where we show sports, have fruit/quiz machines and a pool table. We separate the two areas as best we can and would not tolerate racism or sexist behaviour (women were present watching the football that day and we have an eclectic mix of customers all from different walks of life). I find it impossible to believe that specific comments could be heard from these customers but do accept that during Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes there are people watching football that can be a little loud – but only loud. As for unwelcoming... this area of the pub would not be passed through at any point by people eating so no interaction would have taken place so, again, do not know where this disdain came from.

Referring to people as those who ‘drag their knuckles across the threshold’ is the kind of comment I would have expected to cause upset and to use it when you had time to reflect is not acceptable or constructive. Just because someone may like football does not mean there is an intrinsic link to those devoid of any intelligence and in fact many of those who frequent the pub have professional jobs. That said we like to treat people equally as long as their behaviour is what is deemed acceptable for the environment. We allow dogs in the non-food areas as long as they are controlled.

We offer sports, live music, quiz nights etc but also serve food sourced locally (including the steak from a local butcher).
It is impossible to please all people and with your steak being from a local butcher we are disappointed that you were not happy with it but may I offer another perspective so you can see it from our point of view
A customer walks in and orders food and is served by a ‘very friendly and professional’ guy. We check during the meal to ensure all is ok and also train the staff not only to check again at the end of the meal but more importantly that no significant amount of food is left on the plate. The customer does not offer any complaint or in fact leave any significant amount of food. On top of this decides to order more food by way of a dessert. They pay the bill and still offer no complaints. Next thing we get a review that makes reference to animal cruelty if a dog ate the food, states service was awful despite saying the guy serving the food (and the main member of staff that looked after you) was ‘very friendly and professional’.
May I ask if the experience was so horrible, why you would choose to prolong it remaining in the presence of those ‘knuckle draggers’ and decide to pay even more money and order more food if it was not in fact, fit for animal consumption?

I accept that the member of staff doing administration on the laptop should have been off the bar and using a table (but does like to remain in the pub so he can keep an eye on things). However as for the rest of the issues I believe that you were expecting a restaurant environment and choose to vent your frustration on this forum as you did not get the restaurant environment you were expecting and would have been suited to come during the week or in the evening where we do not show sports.

However when you are served in a ‘very friendly and professional manner’, finish the food to a level not to cause concern, offer no complaints, stay even longer for desserts and pay with no complaints, then write a contradictory review with rude and sensationalistic comments, this is neither helpful or constructive to allow us to ensure that you enjoyed your visit or learn lessons from it. I genuinely feel that you have vented your frustration because you happened to turn up when a football match was on and this is not an environment that you are accepting off. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit but genuinely feel that there is little we could have done at the time as nothing would have given away that you were unhappy. Maybe if you came when no sport was being shown you would have viewed the pub in a very different light.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Just moved to this side of town - The Salmon Tail being our new local! We have eaten there a few times now and whether there is 2 or 10 of us the food is always great! Proper hearty pub grub but the staff will happily accommodate the fussy eaters as best they can!! (we normally have a couple of picky people!) Love that the boys can sit and watch the sport and the girls can have a good chat. The live music is brilliant too. Thumbs up from us!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We ate fish cakes and they were good. A little on the bready (rather than fishy) side. Chips were hot and not too salty. All-in-all...exactly as I'd expect.
The tables were a bit sticky and old.
Dinner for 2 plus 4 beers was $32.

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I think the title says it all really.

Friendly enough place. Pretty quiet. Unpretentious. Standard pub grub.