“Loved the theatre”

Book In Advance
More Info
$20.72*
and up
City Sightseeing Stratford-upon-Avon Hop-On...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We create theatre at its best, made in Stratford-upon-Avon and shared around the world. We perform Shakespeare’s plays, as well as works by Shakespeare’s contemporaries and plays by today’s writers. We want as many people as possible to be able to access theatre at its best, so we bring our work to the widest possible audience.
Reviewed June 25, 2011

If visiting Stratford upon Avon, the Royal Shakespeare Theatre is the place to go. The town itself is becoming too much like a Shakespeare theme park pandering to the day trippers, both school children and foreigners. It is a lovely town in the evening when the souvenir shops are closed, day visitors have moved on and you can see the old buildings. We went to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre to see Merchant of Venice in the new refurbished theatre. What a joy! My only criticism would be 2 glasses of white wine at the interval cost £12.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,875)
All reviews
in 651 reviews
"actors"
in 305 reviews

Reviewed June 23, 2011

Truly memorable! My son and I saw A Winters' Tale and it was the best play I've ever seen performed. Don't miss The Royal Shakespeare Company - well worth the side trip to Stratford Upon Avon.

Reviewed May 13, 2011

My partner and I went on a tour of the Waterside Theatre, and then took a trip up the tower overlooking the town. Sadly, there were no plays on at the time of our visit to Stratford (although I have been to the old theatre, so I can see the improvements the refurbishment has made).

Our tour was extremely interesting, and our guide was very enthusiastic, informative, and helpful. She explained everything thoroughly, took time to allow everyone in the group to look around them, and to ask questions. We were taken round the whole theatre, and each part of it was explained - the stages, the dressing rooms, the costume department, the technical rooms - everything. Our guide made the tour fun and entertaining as well as giving us lots of detail, which is how a tour should be.

Afterwards we took the lift up to top of the eight storey tower, with amazing views over Stratford and the surrounding countryside.

This theatre is well worth the visit, even if there isn't a play on.

2  Thank LittleBearPonting
Reviewed April 1, 2011

When getting tickets I would advise to buy online to avoid the extremely unhelpful and offhand staff in the box office.
New renovations are kind of OK still retaining the rather ugly brutal facade, new downstairs Cafe serves the ubiquitous triangular tuna, egg, chicken sandwiches etc & carbonated fruit juice's you find everywhere and is only tiny. All a bit of a let down.
The renovated stage area and auditorium however are excellent.

1  Thank Voce44
See more reviews
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We saw King Lear here on a Saturday night and the production was brilliant. The actors were just amazing.
However, we only booked 2 weeks in advance and almost all the tickets were sold out. The three of us had to sit separately and we had 'restricted view' seats. One of us got a pretty good seat with a pole only slightly blocking part of the stage. The other two of us were sitting at an angle to the stage, quite close, but directly behind a huge pole. No matter how much we moved around we could not see more than half the stage! We could see the two sides, but the entire middle was completely blocked. These tickets still cost £12 and I don't think that they should sell tickets like this. We were told that we would still be able to enjoy the performance. But it was almost impossible.
So my advice to travellers is book months in advance. My advice to the RSC is don't sell tickets for seats J23 and K23.

9  Thank MegSCL