“Absolutely wonderful B&B and host” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moss Cottage

Moss Cottage
Bristol
“Absolutely wonderful B&B and host”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

After reading the reviews, we booked to stay with Bill at Moss Cottage for a couple of days to enjoy the beautiful town of Stratford. We were warmly welcomed by Bill and treated to some delicious lemon and blueberry cake and strong, fresh coffee (fantastically pleasing after 2 hours in the traffic).

Bill then took the time of chatting with us about the town, local attractions and rather wonderfully furnished us with a number of vouchers which, over the course of our stay, saved us around £50 in entrance fees to attractions and in eating around the town.

The B&B was spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished, the breakfast wonderfully tasty, fresh and well prepared and the coffee strong and fresh. It's the attention to detail like bottled water, homemade yoghurt and preserves and expensive, local produce in the cooked breakfast that sets this place apart. I really have to say that this is the quintessential B&B and I would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends and family. Which I already have done! Definitely deserves its 5 stars and fantastic rating.

Room Tip: In the end, as Moss Cottage is so popular, we took the ground floor room in which two single beds we...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lawriejones1
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Oh my goodness, Thank you very much for such a lovely review. It was so very nice to meet such a wonderful young couple. You had me laughing all weekend!

*small note to guest to Stratford-upon-Avon, we get these vouchers for free from a few places including the 'Magic Alley' in Henley Street. They are not available from the official tourist office though. I have noticed some places are advertising these as a special offer, which is wrong as any one can obtain them. I have them for my guests convenience, as do many other bed & breakfasts and guest houses. Vouchers include 2 for 1 entry to the Shakespeare Birthplace and houses and 2 for 1 entry to Warwick Castle*

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am a local person and I booked Moss Cottage for my son and his partner for 2 nights as our house was already full with visitors. I can only concur with everything that has been said in previous reviews. As I live in a neighbouring village I decided to call in to the Cottage and was able to meet Bill who was very happy to show me the spotless and comfortable accomodation and the very appetizing breakfast menu.
I found Bill very accomodating, friendly and more than helpful.
My son and his partner really enjoyed their stay; they loved their room and told us that they enjoyed a delicious breakfast and overall were very impressed with the whole ambience of their Bed and Breakfast accomodation,
We will definitely be contacting Moss Cottage again if/when we need to look for alternative accomodation for visiting family or friends in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I am so glad you decided to pop in and check me out, there are so many guest houses in Stratford I was flattered you chose me.
Your family are so nice and it sounded like you had a wonderful get together. Please do let me know if I can ever be of service again. Next time I will give you some of the marmalade to taste for yourself!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Moss cottage is simply a delightful b&b.The location is great, the rooms clean and comfortable, the breakfast tasty and the welcome so friendly and helpful.
Bill was a wonderful host. Even though we arrived late, we were welcomed with a smile and tea and cake. There were so many other lovely touches like bottled water in the rooms and home made jam with breakfast. On our first morning Bill talked us through a map of the town, highlighting places to go and gave us vouchers we could use.
Although the weather was a bit grim we had a really great time.
We would definitely stay there again if we were in the area, and would recommend Moss Cottage to friends and family.
Thank you very much!

• Stayed March 2013
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow thank you for such kind words, I really do appreciate it.
It was so nice to meet you both and I'm glad the dodgy weather didn't spoil your time in Stratford, I think we now may finally be getting into spring time.
It would be wonderful to see you again if you are ever down this way.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Moss Cottage after a 3 week stint working on a farm in Wales and arrived tired, smelly and dirty. Peter was a lovely host with a delicious fruit cake and coffee on my arrival and he also washed and dried my dirty clothes for me which was greatly appreciated. Bruce took my booking but I didn't get a chance to meet him as he was away during my stay. The breakfast was amazing - I highly recommend the granola yoghurt trifle. The Cottage is a short walk from the town centre and has free parking. Highly recommend for the award winning marmalade as well :)

• Stayed February 2013
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow what lovely things to say. I am so sorry I didn't get to meet you in person, Peter thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and was amazed at your wonderful story of your time in the UK.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, especially as you must have been very tired after your working holiday.
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was travelling with my Granny visiting friends and seeing some theatre, we stayed two nights and I can honestly say I can't remember sleeping better or breakfasting better. The location is perfect, within easy distance of town and tourist sites (such as Anne Hathaway's house around the corner), yet not right in the centre allowing for a quiet night's sleep. The breakfasts were delicious, proper wholesome home cooked, the marmalade tasting perfectly finished off an amazing full english of local produce, marmalade made onsite at moss cottage I would personally recommend the lime and the ginger.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HI!
I am so pleased you both enjoyed your stay and also glad you liked the marmalade, you are right I think having the different flavours to try after your breakfast is great fun and finishes it off nicely. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation too.
Welshpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I echo the numerous other glowing reviews! Moss Cottage is a wonderfully cozy little B&B about a 15 min walk from Stratford-Upon-Avon town center. Bill is a excellent host. He greeted us with a pot of tea and homemade cookies. He provided several maps, coupons and travel brochures. He took his time walking us through the layout of town, listening to our plans and gently offering suggestions or tips. The room (#2) was clean and cozy. Breakfast was filling and delicious. We especially enjoyed the selection of homemade jams and marmalade and the yogurt parfait. I don't believe you could find a better place at such a price. This is a real gem.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AMC_K_061782
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased you had a nice time and that you enjoyed Stratford-upon-Avon.
Crowhurst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I certainly echo the positive comments previously expressed, no superlative is too strong to describe Bill's warmth and generosity, he is the most genial and kind host who genuinely enjoys sharing his lovely cosy home. Nothing is too much trouble, and from the initial tea and cake onwards every thought is given to one's comfort. The rooms are clean, comfortable, nicely furnished and well appointed. Biscuits and bottled water (the latter is a particularly nice touch often missed out) are replenished each day. Breakfasts are delicious - including the homemade bread and preserves.

Bill has a wealth of knowledge about Stratford and the local area, and (without being intrusive) does all that he can to ensure that his guests enjoy the experiences that Stratford offers.

We will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Oh my word, What can I say but again thank you so much. I had no idea there were such nice people in the word until I started running a B&B. I am just so pleased you enjoyed your stay so much.
A million thank yous too such a very kind couple.
Bill.