“Nice spa day in lovely setting”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Took advantage of a Groupon deal to spend a few hours chilling in the Spa. Fairly basic poolside facilities & surprised by the lack of a hot-tub, usually standard nowadays. Luxury this was not. Decent size pool which we had to ourselves for quite a while, nice. Where the hotel excelled was the quality of its treatments: back massage & facial were superb. Massage room was very nice but if you were there on a busy day, it could be quite noisy as access in & out of the changing rooms is right outside the door, so lively chatting would be very audible. Treated ourselves to lunch in the bar of the main hotel. Great olde worlde atmosphere & quality food. Hotel is stunning to look at & set in some beautiful countryside but still easily accessible from M40 & M42.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Zymotic
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you managed to get a great deal and enjoyed our other facilities whilst on your spa day. I agree it is a fabulous location and so easy to reach. I hope you will return soon. Kind regards

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have just returned from spending a couple of days at Billesley Manor. We can not fault the Hotel, Location, Staff and food all excellent. We will definitely be returning. Cant recommend this Hotel enough!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recommendation, I am pleased that you enjoyed your Billesley Manor experience. Kind regards

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We took advantage of a great room rate for a short break and were not disappointed.
Billesley Manor Hotel is a stunning looking building, filled with character and charm and wonderful relaxing presence.
The staff were accommodating, friendly and helpful at all times and ensured we were well looked after.
Our room was comfortable and clean and looked out onto the topiary garden - which is worth a closer look because of what you'll see if you do.. - and came with everything you could ask for, all neatly hidden away.

The food is wonderful. Our first evening meal dining in the Great Hall was a feast. The menu had a fabulous range of choices, and after much deliberation and changing of minds once ordered, the courses we had chosen did not disappoint. We left the restaurant very full and happy.
Breakfast is also in the Great Hall with a self service buffet selection of hot and cold foods. The hot food is flavoursome produce and regularly refilled so you never had to wait for something to add to your plate. There is a plentiful selection of cereals, fruit juices, toast and jams etc if you don't want a cooked breakfast.
The bar is a great place to unwind before and after dinner, and offers a menu of it's own which although not huge is a good enough selection for bar faire and very enjoyable.
We were fortunate to have afternoon tea as par of our stay and it was magnificent! That alone was worth staying for.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience, we will definitely be coming back for another stay in the not to distant future and have already recommended the hotel to family & friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank ClickChick24

Thank you for your great review of Billesley Manor, I appreciate you taking the time to post your experiences. Kind regards

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were there for 3 days midweek and stayed in Room 4, which is also called the Shakespeare Room, complete with hidden passageway to a priest's hole above the fireplace. The room was enormous, with a large settee, a chaise longue, four poster bed, dressing table and various cupboards. The bathroom was even bigger! The staff were all very polite and friendly. We found the buffet breakfast to be perfectly OK during our stay and the evening meals were of a very high quality. We found the house to be quiet at night. The location is very peaceful and the small church in the grounds worth a visit (Reception hold the key). Getting into Stratford is easy as the hotel is only a few miles from the park and ride, which I would recommend, rather than driving into the the town centre car parks. Don't know if we will return soon, as the group have several other nice hotels and we might try them first!

Room Tip: Would recommend Room 4
1  Thank onemoreglobetrotter
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

What a great review, I couldnt have put it better myself! Room 4 is in the original part of the Manor and is our bridal suite. I hope you left a note in the priest hole cupboard, there are many from over the years which is lovely, if not perhaps you could do that next time. Thank you and best regards.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We spent two nights at The Billesley Manor, using it as a base for Stratford. This is a lovely hotel set in beautiful surroundings. There was four of us including children of 11 and 13 and it was close to perfect. It is a lovely hotel with great staff who could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable.

The leisure facilities were ideal for us with a good sized pool, sauna and steam room. The gym is quite small but well equipped. If I were to have one criticism, it would be that the Dinner menu was a little too sophisticated for children the age of ours, but the food was terrific. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will certainly use Puma Hotels again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

It is great to read that you enjoyed your family stay, I do hope the chefs accomodated your childrens needs and tastes. Check out our website for great deals across the Puma Hotels Collection.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Having stayed many times at Billesley and always loved it we had no hesitation booking again for 2 nights on our way back from Shrigley Hall. What a let down, and how things have deteriorated since July. The room (53), although beautifully decorated was located in the barn so to get to the restaurant and other facilities you have a 100 yard dash, there was only 1 set of towels and 1 bathrobe despite it being booked for 2 people. On the first night the TV turned itself on at 6.05am so woke us up and on the second the water pipes must have had an airlock and at 6.15 am we were woken by really loud clanking and crashing noises that went on for 40 minutes. (At night, in the rain and wearing 4 inch heals this is no mean feat) The food was poorly cooked and presented on the first night, my duck salad was more like little lumps of charcoal when I told the waitress how bad it was she smiled and thanked me! English was not her first language and so felt a bit sorry for her as she shouldnt have been put into a customer facing role like this., the main of chicken was overcooked and the sauce salty. desert however was delicious. Night 2- I am coeliac and they were aware of this and provided me with gluten free bread but then bought me an arancini (risotto ball in breadcrumbs and deepfried) as my amuse bouch so that went back. I had mozarella and tomato salad, this consisted of 3 tiny 'boccacini' cut in half and half a plum tomato. my main of pork steak was completely raw around the bone and looked like something I wouldn't have picked up in Asda, the Savoy cabbage wasnt Savoy and had so much pepper it was inedible. I called for the waitress and when I explained how bad it was they apologised and took it for the chef to taste - he had the good grace to admit it was awful but that didnt make me feel much better. Overall this stay couldnt have been much worse for us and we warned them of this on checkout saying that the 2AA rosettes would be lost if they dont replace the chef and that we wouldnt be back until they do. The only decent part of the food was breakfast so my advice would be don't pay for dinner, go to the harvester, its better value, better quality and better cooked. I completed the survey that the hotel sent out and asked for them to respond to us and 3 weeks later they still havent, hence the posting of this review.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor room as its a creaky 400 year old building so don't expect air con but they wi...
8  Thank Chris P
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night midweek on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast deal (with a bottle of bubbly). We found the deal good value, the dining excellent and the room in one of the converted barns, modern, quiet and comfortable. The staff were professional and friendly. It was probably not as busy as a peak period but there was a Japanese tour group in house and a number of families as it was the school mid term break. So perhaps the service was enhanced by slightly less demand, but having said that we were surprised with how busy the hotel was given the season and time of the week. I can say that we could not fault any aspect! I could imagine it might be a bit noisier in the old manor house, as some have reported but we didn't hear a sound. We were possibly in the only occupied room in our "barn"? It is a few miles from Stratford on Avon so you would have to drive or arrange other transport if you were not dining in the hotel. I guess generally we didn't experience any of the negatives I read in a few reviews, when reviewing TripAdvisor before I booked my stay.
PS. There was a large "daddy long legs" spider in a web in a corner of the bathroom, but he wasn't harming anyone.

Room Tip: Perhaps the barns but you do have to walk for a minute or two in the open for breakfast and dinner...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you can report only positives, I am sure readers
enjoy a good review as much as a poor one. The sparkle deal is great value and I am pleased that you enjoyed it. I hope to welcome you back soon.