“A real sense of history”

Billesley Manor Hotel
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

As soon as you draw up at this beautiful house with its formal garden you feel like you are going back in time within its oak panelled walls and creaking staircases. You half expect to be met by some old ghostly inhabitant. This place must be haunted. It's spirit lives on in the hotel. The spa facility was very good with gym and a lovely swimming pool. The conference facilities were good. They served me breakfast after the cut off which was very kind of them and it was a cracker of a cooked breakfast. Shame to hear that the hotel may be in financial difficulties as it deserves success. Signage on the main road could be improved as I think it is non existent.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Caustonator
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for your lovely review, we are all pleased that you enjoyed your ghostly stay - I must say I dont think it is haunted as I for one would run a mile! I would look into how we can improve the main road signage. Best regards.

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Billesley manor is a lovely place to stay. We had a problem with the allocation of our room due to the wording from late rooms but in the end this was resolved very quickly and efficiently. If you are looking for a hotel that has staff in every corner then this is not the place for you. The atmosphere of the hotel is very relaxed, if you need something then find someone and service is delivered quickly and professionally. The food is wonderful, the waiters/ waitreses serving in the evenings and at breakfast make you feel very welcome.

Great stay the rooms in the old part of the house are a real treat....

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your positive review, I appreciate the time taken to do this and I hope that you will visit us again. Your comment regarding the efficiency and professionalism of the team has put a smile on many faces! Thank you once again.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is our second visit to billesby manor.Thank you for such a wonderful welcome.The room was very good with a nice bottle of sparkling wine from the team,you always seem to go that little bit more then other hotels to please your guests.Unfortunately a big let down in the restaurant
food,this is very sad for two rosettes.The Cheff on the night let himself and the hotel down by
sending out food cooked in this way.I must say that the staff dealt with our complaint in a very
good and profesional manner. Once again many thanks to the team for all their help.
Cathy.

Room Tip: we have had room 3 and room 5 very good size on our visit to billesby manor.I would like to see moor...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you for your review, please accept my apologies if Dinner was not to your liking. I am pleased to read that any issues where dealt with promptly. I hope to welcome you back for a third visit soon. Kind regards

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was a lovely hotel and the staff were helpful. The room was spotless and the tea and coffee facilities were nicely stocked. The linen was fresh, toiletries were lovely and of a good make and the room was warm. The room was cleaned and made up daily and everything that needed to be replenshed was.

Breakfast was a buffet and well presented. A small negative on this was when the uncut bread was used up there was no more and the bread that had been put out was a small one (would give 2 slices each to about 8 people).

The appearance of the cooked food was dry, the bacon and sausages were a bit crisp and scrambled eggs were like leather. That said I was put off from having it but my husband wasn't and he said it tasted fine. When the cooked food was replenished it came out looking the same. Perhaps an over zealous chef! There were soup spoons on the table for cereal spoons and when I asked one of the dining room staff for a different spoon to eat my cereal I was told the hotel had run out of them. Eventually I was given a proper spoon. But overall this was a small negative part of what was a very nice experience in the hotel.

The Spa had times for children to have a SPLASH TIME which gave the adults an alternative time to have a more tranquil relaxing swim.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The first floor at the front of the hotel is good
1  Thank Delighted580419

Thank you for your detailed review. I will ensure that your coments are passed on to the relevant team members and that action is taken to rectify the lack of spoons and were necessary any overcooking of breakfast items. Kind regards

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here for two nights whilst attending Cheltenham racing on the Saturday. Hotel is lovely and is surrounded by beautiful grounds. Food very good and all the staff very friendly. My only disappointment was that our room, although in the actual Manor House and not in the Cedar Barns as we first thought, was very modern, in fact I thought it was very similar to a Premier Inn room. We didnt actually have a wardrobe just a rail with shelves above and I think to the side and no chest of drawers - just shelves below the TV. I wonder if we were in one of these rooms rather than a more traditional one (albeit I know the room was standard) because we were paying with Tesco Rewards. I really wish we had made a point at booking because it did say on Bilesley Manor's website that some sandard rooms were modern and some more traditional. Overall the stay was very enjoyable and I would defintely recommend this hotel and would stay there again - as long as I had a traditonal room. I just feel that if you are going to stay in a very old Manor House you really want the room to go with it.

Room Tip: Pick a traditional room not a modern one.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I can confirm that rooms are not allocated dependant upon payment method but by which room type is booked. The Traditional rooms are a mix of Premium, deluxe and four poster rooms which carry a supplement. I hope that next time you visit you will choose one of these and you will fully experience the historical setting we are in. Kind regards

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during half term on a DBB basis for three nights and it was great. The bedroom was very grand with great views of the topiary, and the bathroom was large and well equipped. We as a fridge which is always handy and the TV worked well which is not always the case in some hotels. The bar was cosy butane pleasant for post walk champagne and per dinner aperitifs! The dinner menu could ave been varied more ver our stay but I always found something that I liked, although my wife wasn't as satisfied. Whatever we chose however, was very well cooked, presented and served so our mealtimes were always enjoyable, and we were always full. The pool, sauna and steam room were also excellent.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I am pleased to read that you had no complaints, and enjoyed your experience at Billesley Manor. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on a DBB and Spa package last Saturday. Although this is a relatively large and potentially "corporate" hotel (being part of a chain) we found it to be more like staying in a country house (albeit a big one!) We found the Reception staff very helpful when booking 7 separate deals and, subsequently, when it was necessary to make amendments to our bookings. Indeed, the staff all went out of their way to ensure we had a lovely stay. The Restaurant staff were particularly helpful and we had dinner for 13 in the Drawing Room which was intimate and had the added bonus of ensuring we didn't disturb other diners! There was a good choice on the inclusive meal deal and it was well presented and tasty. The Spa staff were friendly and professional but it was a shame that not all members of our party could partake of treatments included in their package as they had left it too late to book them.
The rooms all varied in style but all were good and extremely well equipped.
The whole atmosphere at the hotel is relaxed and informal leading to a very enjoyable stay.
We chose the hotel from the photos of the exterior and its location in relation to us all but it surpassed our expectations and I can imagine us using it as our venue for further reunions.

Room Tip: All the rooms were individual and of a very good standard. The ones with views over the topiary gard...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for posting a great review on Trip advisor.