A very apposite quote from the bard himself to reflect our stay at the Mercure and for me what Trip Advisor is all about.
Significant other and I enjoyed a two night stay at the end of July.
Location: Absolutely perfect - all sights in walking distance. Downside (?) small car park - mitigant - plenty of on street parking. Moving car into the car park when spaces arose a minor inconvenience, but as I was aware of potential before arrival not an issue.
Facilities: As you might expect from a central hotel in a building which is 400+ year old don't expect a state of the art spa. A pool is normally a pre-requisite for our hotel stays but central location over-ruled lack of full suite of leisure facilities - the right decision.
Service: As with previous posts, expect service according to rating and business of the hotel - when busy (travel company arrivals were a feature on both days) don't expect staff to be fawning over you, but on the whole our experience matched expectatons.
Food: Stay was an Accor deal which won over recommendations from local contacts. Having stayed at Mercure around Europe over the last 10 years we have experienced good and not so good food. Experience was very definitely the former - quality of dinner delivered on day 1 definitely in top 3 of all experiences in that time - once again the right decision.
Room: I would like to think comments will be taken as constructive criticism. Room allocated was 114 or Agincourt. This room is a converted office comprising a living room together with a bedroom - the amount of space was surprising & welcome,
As one might expect in a 400 year-old building the floorboards are less than perfectly sound proofed & consequently there is noise which is noticeable - if you want quiet ask for room in the annex at the back of the hotel but for me this room oozed character & I wouldn't have swapped.
A couple of recommendations
a) When the room was converted secondary double-glazing was not added - as the room fronts onto a main thoroughfare if you are unlucky enough to have a group of drunken louts rolling back from the nightclub at 3am making a racket, then you may well be disturbed.
Whilst we were disturbed the actions of a group of idiots is beyond the hotel's control but as other rooms facing onto the same street have double-glazing it did seem odd that this was not done when the room was converted. A suggestion for improvement
b) The room has a wonderful bay window - this is crying out for a seat to be installed so that a guest can watch the world go by whilst reading whatever takes their fancy.
All in all a great find at a very reasonable price, the mix-up on the bill at the end is worthy of a mention only because the issue was resolved immediately.
Would I stay again? Yes
Despite the comments would I ask for the same room? Yes
Will we be back? No guarantee we will be in the area again but if we are I would always consider the Mercure, a great stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star Tudor hotel with 74 ensuite rooms located in the centre of Shakespeare's Stratford. Ideal for exploring local villages, the Cotswolds, shops and theatres of Stratford. 19 miles from Birmingham International Airport, 1 mile from Stratford upon Avonstation, 10 miles from Warwick Parkway station. Easily accessible via the M40. David Garrick Restaurant, Othello's Bar Brassiere, Quill Bar and Lounge, 6 conference rooms with natural light for up to 100 delegates. Limited parking at GBP10.00 per day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel England
- Accor Stratford Upon Avon
- Shakespeare Hotel Stratford