“A bit high on the price, but worth the stay”

Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
New York
“A bit high on the price, but worth the stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

The first thing that struck me about the Mercure Shakespeare hotel was the "Othello" lounge; named, of course, for one of Shakespeare's tragedies. The soft red couches and the very...earthy feel of this lounge was a great first experience.

Also, when you get to the reception counter, you might notice that the staff is participating in a bike ride for charity...a nice touch! The reception staff is also very friendly and helpful. Hopefully you'l run into Jessica or Liz, they are great!

Internet: Technically, 24 hours of internet will cost extra, but it was given to us for free on the first day. Also, for subsequent days we stayed, they gave us one hour free per day, which for some reason, showed 10 hours, which was just fine by us. The speed was decent enough for our purposes.

Corridors: A bit dated; the carpeting appears old and there are some creeky floorboards along the way, but otherwise fine.

Rooms: I really love the way they name the rooms after different characters, plays, or locations for Shakespeare's works. However, I guess I was expecting a theme room that might cater to that name, or at least a painting in the room which reflected it. It would be a nice touch, but it wasn't there. The only other detractor is that their flat-screen TV's only offered television channels...there was no in-room entertainment system for viewing movies. However, those just quibbles in an otherwise great room!

Originally, we had a double room booked but we were upgraded for free for two days of our stay by a manager after we found a problem with our shower that couldn't immediately be fixed. The junior suite we were upgraded to (Known as Agincourt) contained a four-post bed which was very comfortable, with no shortage of warm coverings and plush pillows. It also had a second room, like a living room, that also had a TV, which was a nice touch! The shower was also great, although I wonder why they have a glass curtain that only covers half the side and doesn't have a regular curtain. It also had a street view, which was awesome.

Their restaurant is great; the restaurant manager, Vincent, is from Spain and he definitely made a dinner in the Othello Lounge more enjoyable. The dinner and drinks were served in a timely manner and were delicious:)

All in all, a great stay, although the price was a bit steeper than expected. Would probably stay here again if I'm in Stratford.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first before you accept it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheJawsman
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your kind cooments about our restaurant and reception staff. It was great to meet you when you experienced a slight problem in your original room. The upgrade to one of our new junior suites was an absolute pleasure. Great to learn that you both have enjoyed your stay with us and your dinner at Othello's Brasserie.

Mercure Shakepeare Hotel
Stratford-upon-Avon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel June 4-5, 2012. I was favorably impressed. The hotel has a nice, Tudor era feel to it and the rooms are cleverly named with Shakespearean names (e.g. Rosalind, Prospero's Cell, etc.). The rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable with all the usual amenities -- soap, shampoo, clean towels, etc. In addition the room was quiet, even though the floors creaked quite a bit.

On the downside the extras were quite expensive. There was free internet in the restaurant/bar, but you have to pay 9£ or so for internet access in your room, which is a bit much. I elected to pay this, but still had trouble getting access in my room, even though it took a while. Also, the breakfast was about 10-15£s, which was a bit too expensive.

Overall, though the accommodations were very good and the location was perfect -- right in the middle of town. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your recnt stay with us.

I am pleased that you have enjoyed the hotel and its central location.

We hope to welcome you back real soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

I gave this a so-so review last time we stayed but we went back to the same place due to being a bit idle about research. So pleased we did - we were allocated a much larger and more luxurious Junior Suite than last year's cramped room which had been small even compared to Travelodge standard rooms. Huge room, huge comfy bed, good bathroom, large sitting area, view over Shakespeare's garden, 2 TVs (which we didn't use, but still...). Lovely helpful staff. We'll definitely go back but will specify which room we want.

Issues:
Linen trolley being wheeled very noisily across the yard at 6.45am on Saturday morning - hardly ideal.
These days we expect a bar in a luxury hotel in a theatre district to be open much later than 11pm, especially on a Friday night. I know Stratford is not the place to go for a wild night of drinking, but the lovely lounge area would have been perfect for a relaxing, quiet, post-play snifter. Hope this gets sorted for the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Great to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us in of our junior suites. The bar is open untill late but the actual closing of the bar does depend whether there are guests in the bar at closing time. As a alternative we have always one or two Night Porters on who do serve drinks throughout the night.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

My party of 6 stayed at the hotel a few weeks ago for a murder mystery weekend for my father's 70th birthday.

Thoroughly enjoyable event and lovely hotel in great location. If you park in the NCP car park around the corner you can stay for £5.00 when you take your ticket to the hotel reception and get a voucher when you check out.

Our rooms were gorgeous and the aircon was greatly appreciated. There was only 1 bath towel in our room though and the non-slip mat in the bath was a slippery death trap (i'd remove it if i were the hotel management).

Tea, dinner and breakfast was of a very good quality and very nice.

Staffing levels seemed a bit on the low side for both dining and reception. Although pleasant and getting the job done, the staff available seemed a little stressed and rushed (eg) trainee receptionist was on her own when about 40 people were trying to check out after the murder mystery event finished. The queue was back to the front door)

Overall, a beautiful hotel and my husband and I plan to come and stay again for a long weekend

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

The Murder Mystery was indeed a great success. I am pleased that your party enjoyed themselves. We did have a second person scheduled for receptions, but she had to go home soon after starting her shift. She is feeling a lot better now.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Waconia, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Quaint and worth doing to have the 'real' experience while in Stratford, but watch your head (I clonked myself on low ceilings more than once) and sometimes the rooms seem a little musty... And you have to chase the spiders out yourself.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your real experience on the Tripadvisor website. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Stratford-upon-Avon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Certainly this hotel has its faults. The room is starting to look a little jaded (in particular the carpet) but was nonetheless charming and a good size. My main criticism would be the bed which was extremely uncomfortable - I could feel the springs through the mattress - please invest in good quality mattresses! The bath was also looking worn, although the bathroom itself has obviously had a fairly recent facelift with a new basin, tiling, and fittings. The housekeeping is not entirely up to scratch - dirty smears on glassware and dubiously clean spoons provided with mugs for tea and coffee. By far the biggest disappointment was continental breakfast served in the room. The breakfast form offers a choice of fresh fruit - it was tinned. The coffee was undrinkable - initially it arrived stone cold and I had to call for a replacement but whoever was on room service had no inkling how to make decent cafetiere coffee - it was a thick black sludge which I watered down with water from the kettle in the room. The danish pastries were all identical and were all miniature sized - at least a variety would have been appreciated. Finally, I wasn't provided with enough milk for coffee as well as cereal and this necessitated another call to room service. Having worked in hotels myself I can appreciate how difficult it can be, particularly when the hotel is fully booked over a bank holiday weekend, but the service and attention to detail is what matters in a hotel of this calibre and on this occasion they were somewhat lacking. Having thoroughly criticised, I will say that the location is perfect, and the building itself, in particular the public areas, are of such fascination and charm to warrant a stay. I would stay here again with the hope that these criticisms have been addressed.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 105, overlooking the street. There was some noise from street sweepers around 5.0...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your recent stay with us. Your experience in your room and your room service breakfast have been addressed with the team and I am confident it will not happen again in the future.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

reading
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was my favourite hotel in Stratford and usually I don't mind splashing out for a luxury break, but this was very very sadly disappointing, and I will look to stay elsewhere on my next trip.
The hotel is in a central position and the reception rooms are beautifully presented, luxurious and comfortable. Unfortunately the take over from Mercure means that ourJunior Suite was a very dull coporate synthetic affair. Much the same as the one I stay in on a Wolverhampton roundabout. Why has the charm of the hotel disappeared to corporate synthetc pink and green. People choose this hotel because of its charm not the plasticky furnture. My suite was in the eaves of the hotel, tiny windows and lights needed to be on at all times. The bed room was tiny, bathroom tired and the 'lounge' could have passed for a cupboard. I was very disappointed - the mini bar was empty you had to pay about £18 in advance to stock it up with a limited range of drinks. I also felt that the hotel was trying every trick in the book to charge extra £180 a night and not so much as a free bottle of mineral water or magazine? Breakfast was £30.00 extra for two people!! Parking was an additional £10.00 a night. That said we would have been grateful to have received parking, spaces were reseved for people (although when I rang to see if I could they said this was not possible) the car parking is inadquate. We were directed to a NCP that we were told would be open, but it had closed early, then more stressful driving around Stratford and expensive parking. We spent a fair time in the lounge area as our room was too small and dark to relax in but even then could not find staff and i had to seek them out from reception. Over priced and the bedrooms are worse than a Premier Inn - but I bet a Prem has parking! Very sad to say I won't visit again. I did get an hour later check out which was kind of them. The Lamb resturant and Opp are worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask not to be in the roof. Watch out Junior Suites are disappointing.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management6630, General Manager at Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that we did not meet your requirements on this occasion. We have a large variety of bedroom types which meet most individual standards. I hope that you will consider us for your next visit to Stratford-upon-Avon.

Please contact me direct and I will personally look after your reservation.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.