“Ok... but not as great as the photo suggests”

Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Shefford, United Kingdom
“Ok... but not as great as the photo suggests”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Sort of "travel lodge ish", the common areas are limited, although very clean. However, if a hotel was based on the service of its staff, this would be 5 stars!!! Food in the adjoining restaurant was alright, and breakfast was superb. The write up stated an undercover swimming pool, this and other facilities are located at a sister hotel about 300m away across two busy roads.

Room Tip: If you are looking to impress, Book the sister hotel... although I should imaging (as it looks much...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to hank you for your constructive comments and for the time you have taken to give this feedback. I am delighted to learn of the positive comments regarding our staff. We shall use this valuable feedback to pass on to our teams as this provides great motivation

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Swans Nest Hotel in the near future, once again thank you for the feedback.
Claire Pizer - Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
chester
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel very poor in standards.Entrance dirty and not been cleaned for weeks. Entrance doors glass and brass very poor and dirty.breakfast service very poor and staff have attitude take it or do without.Lounge area dirty and worn out carpets.Rooms Ok .
Would not stay again though we have one more night to go.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your constructive comments, which will be discussed at our weekly Head of Department meeting and taken on board, and sincere apologies for any shortfall in standards during your stay. Staff training is ongoing and your feedback will be valuable in helping us to move forward. The issues you highlight will be worked on as a priority and we hope to make improvements in these areas with immediate effect.
Claire Pizer - Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Reviewed April 14, 2014

we booked for two nights in this hotel, and found its one of the best we have stayed in, the weather wasnt great but the hotel in other ways made up for it, sister hotel across the road with gym was fantastic, the room fantastic and the bar with lots of real ales, fantastic

Room Tip: the rooms are all good
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you sincerely for your comments and for the time you have taken to give this feedback. I am delighted to learn of the positive stay you had. We shall use this valuable feedback to pass on to our teams as this provides great motivation

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I choose this place because i believed it to be on the water. Don't let the photos fool you. There is a road and then a restaurant and beer garden between the hotel and river. You can still see it from the hotel if you stand outside the hotel.

The fan in the room was noisy that i actually had to take out the room key to shut it off along with all the power. It was the only way I could sleep. We couldn't open the windows to get air inside either. Not the best nights sleep I have had and not what i was expecting from this hotel.

The room was what you expect for this price range. On the positive side it did have a lovely big shower head. The room was clean and neat too.

Breakfast came with the room and was average. My partner doesn't like eggs and you can often tell a lot about a place by whether they offer you anything extra when you don't have eggs. They didn't.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bectraveller44
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I apologise if you were misled as to the exact location of our hotel in the area. Please also allow me to apologise for the experience you had with the fan in your room. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable accommodation. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed. Claire Pizer - Operations Manager
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

arrived after a 4 hour journey exhausted to be advised as I had made them aware I was disabled they had placed us in a ground floor room, but had opened the doors of the next room to give us space, the advert says wheelchair accessible so I assumed I could access any rooms, wrong no lift, old style staircases small and narrow in places, I am able to use my crutches to get up stairs I need to. we went out to view the area after unpacking for our two night stay in our experience well run McDonald hotel chain. We got back to the room it was freezing!, we persevered and reported it as we went for our meal, at this point cold had hit me badly ( I have polio) and I was having a really bad attack of pain as I was unable to get warm again. we were able to change the meal date to the next night. when we got back to the room it was still freezing cold, My wife returned to reception and the manager went into the boiler room and he stated he had flicked the switches and it should work soon, I was in terrible pain and my wife went out to get some medication for me, she returned 1/2 hour later she rang the desk again to report it was still cold, he said he would be along, he arrived 10 mins later and stated all the radiators are working, ours were not he checked the valve asking if we had done also, we advised I was an ex caretaker and it was the first thing and he stated he did not know what to do!, he offered blankets and quilts and I felt very patronised as I mentioned my arthritis and the polio pain I have and he said there was nothing more he could do as he was concerned everything was working still very cold he went to check out if a room was available and he would ring us, 50 mins later my wife went to the desk, and his comment' is the heat on now' my wife said no! she came back with a blanket he showed her a box room which was very poor. my wife wrapped me in the blanket and quilt to keep me warm and we both had one of the worst nights we had no money to go anywhere else and she was too exhausted to drive home as I was to ill now to travel. He offered to place us back into our original room the next night. we got up could not shower due to the cold room,had a breakfast which I was too ill to enjoy and we attended the show we had booked, on return we found our luggage had been moved including the secure luggage had been placed in the room, the heat went off as we arrived!! frustrated I tried the thermostatic valve's one came off in my hand which I replaced back as it had not been screwed on correctly, we found masking tape on the tiles in the bathroom and a collar stiffener on the floor in front of the window, the bathroom window could not be shut or secured, we went for the meal and found the heat coming back on around 19:00 the tv we could not turn off it kept switching itself on after we turned it off, frustrated we could not wait to get away, we had a call from the management who have offered a voucher for this hotel do you think it will be used...

Room Tip: go elsewhere they all creak and groan
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your constructive comments. I have spoken with you at length in order to address your feedback and have also written directly to you. I hope that my assurances were satisfactory and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in future in order to highlight the improvements that have been made. Claire Pizer - Operations Manager
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a great hotel for location - very near the river and minutes from the theatre. My room was very comfortable and I appreciated the free wifi. What really let it down was the service at breakfast, which was the worst I've ever experienced in a hotel of this level. The staff (all very young) weren't interested at all; tables were dirty and nothing was explained about what was available, even though there was no hot buffet. It took quite a while to catch anyone's eye to place an order and ask for a coffee. The staff chatted loudly about their shifts and personal lives, across the whole restaurant, and it wasn't easy to interrupt to get their attention. I notice several recent reviews draw attention to the breakfast service, which needs serious attention. I should add the reception staff were very helpful and professional throughout.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Forester101
Claire P, Manager at Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your constructive comments, which will be discussed with the manager of Le Bistrot Pierre and taken on board, and sincere apologies for any shortfall in standards during your stay. Staff training is ongoing and your feedback will be valuable in helping us to move forward. The issues you highlight will be worked on as a priority and we hope to make improvements in these areas with immediate effect.
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

This was our second business trip to Stratford & our first visit to the Swan. It's a beautiful hotel in a very delightful setting. Our check in was a bit slap dash & we were not offered assistance with our bags. My room was extremely clean & fresh looking & a joy to be in. The bathroom looked impressive & I couldn't wait for a shower. I didn't have a hot shower during my stay. Luke warm is not the best. We had to wait on the breakfast room to open - the staff were running late. The service was extremely disappointing the staff were more interested in making hot chocolate for themselves than serving us. They were young & embarrassingly unprofessional. The MacDonald brand deserves better. Check out was equally slap dash confusing our bill, not having change for the £5 parking fee. Customer service needs to be greatly improved to give their guests an experience they will remember for the right reasons.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am very disappointed to hear the Macdonald Swans Nest Hotel did not meet with your expectations during your visit, and in particular I am extremely disappointed to hear some staff may not have been as attentive as they could have been. This is an area in which we try to excel so I am very sorry to hear that on this occasion, this appears not to have been the case. I have shared your feedback with the team to highlight the importance of delivering exceptional customer service to all guests at all times and can assure you that we shall make improvements in customer service as a priority. We hope to be able welcome you back to the hotel in the future in order to highlight this.