“Great deal!!”

Stratford Manor Hotel
Warrington, Cheshire
“Great deal!!”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We recently booked via TravelZoo a two night package at the Stratford Manor Hotel, Stratford. The service was fantastic and the staff couldn't do enough for you. Twice we asked at reception for directions, and on both occasions we were given a map and the route highlighted to us. On the day we went into Stratford it was a five minute car journey, and we didn't even need to pay for parking, as the reception staff advised us we could park all day at their sister hotel right in the centre of town. The food in the restaurant was excellent, and a great atmosphere. Staff in the bar were very friendly, and brought the drinks to you rather you waiting. Only let down for us was the leisure club facilities as these didn't seem adequate for a four star hotel, and the changing room layout was cramped and small. Rooms were lovely and overall we were really impressed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
KTurnbull, General Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Dear Suesreview.
Thank you so much for passing on your kind comments folllowing your recent weekend. I am delighted that you enjoyed your break here at Stratford Manor and will take pleasure in passing on your comments to all of the team involved. I hope you took the time when yuo were here to join our Breakaway Club to gettdetails of forthcoming weekends and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Keith Turnbull

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
london
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed over the August bank holiday weekend. The hotel arranged for a taxi to collect us from the train station (£8). The service was exceptional- all staff very professional and friendly.
The problem is that we didnt have our own car and the hotel is along a busy main road, with no footpath, so walking is not really an option. There is a bus that stops literally outside the hotel (despite a member of staff telling me on the phone, the day before we arrived, that the bus stop is about a 5 minute walk away) but it does not run on Sundays and bank holidays. It costs £5, 20 for 2 people. The hotel are affiliated with a taxi driver and he charges a flat-rate of £8 to and from the city centre. Most of the time the drive took under 5 minutes so I did find this a bit steep.
The buffet breakfast is good with a variety of food options from full English, to cereal to porridge. Staff are very accommodating if something is finished (or if you've woken up late!).
The bar is cosy and comfortable and the food is good but plates are often left for ages before being cleared away.
Our room was lovely and spacious but there was hair around the rim of the bath and up the wall when we arrived.
A lot more could be done with the outside of the hotel, considering the amount of open green space. I was expecting amazing gardens and outside attractions but there wasn't much.
We had a good stay- the staff are world-class- but the hotel is better suited for business travel and is slightly too removed. I would only go back if the city centre was more accessible- I would suggest that the hotel subsidise a shuttle to the town every hour or so, I think this would be added value to the customers that do not have their own transport.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
ahoysissy
I would like to thank you for your post however, this post is meant for our sister property the Stratford Manor. I have highlighted your post to the General Manager at that hotel and on his behalf thank you for your kinds words relating to the service you received from the team at Stratford Manor.
We are trying to get the post moved to the correct property.
Thanks again for your post and we hope to see you at a QHotels property in the near future.
Chris Steadman
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband and I travvelled from the north to meet up with friends from the south, each couple taking along an 80plus father. The location of the hotel made it a good midway choice and we were happy with our stay. The rooms are comfortable and bathrooms were nicely appointed. A special mention to the restaurant manageress who changed my father's meal when he found the duck he ordered a little chewy. In actual fact it might have been more due to the quality of Dad's teeth but she dealt with it in a very efficient and friendly way and he was more than happy with the replacement meal. Many places would simply have shrugged their shoulders in that offhand "take it or leave it" fashion so top marks for this.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
KTurnbull, General Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Dear Mrs Hawksworth
Thank you for passing on your comments following your family reunion here at Stratford Manor. I will take great pleasure in passing on your comments to Alex, our Restaurant Manager with regards to your fathers choice of main course. Sometimes guests do make the wrong choice and I am delighted that she dealt with it appropriately.
May I recommend for his next stay that perhaps he tries the dover sole.
Yours sincerely
Sheffield
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Our booking experience was very good but this was somewhat marred when my husband rang to book dinner and was told it wasn't on the night that our package had described. They actually asked him to email them the link to their own website outlining the offer before they would believe we had booked it! Such hassle over which night we could have the included dinner. After a profuse apology the member of staff he spoke in central reservations assured him all would be perfect with our stay. So we relaxed.

We arrived after a long drive an hour after their 2pm check in to be told our rooms weren't ready. The reception staff informed us they had been full the night before as if this would be perfectly ok with us. When we said this was hardly our fault they repeated the reason no less than 2 times as if we somehow hadn't understood. We pointed out central reservations had supposedly rung the hotel to assure a "perfect stay". They looked bemused.

My husband rang central reservations to complain they hadn't really done that great a job in smoothing troubled waters and was basically told to take it up with the hotel. The duty manager appeared and told us he hadn't had any information from central reservations but thankfully didn't go down the hotel being full route and offered us a free drink with dinner. Not exactly the grand gesture but had the reception staff just done this in the fiirst place our first impressions would have better.

The rooms are nice but no minibar in the standard rooms which are the only type which interconnect apparently. They wouldn't put a mini fridge in our room for our son's milk. Great beds. I love rock hard mattresses and I loved these, great sleep quality.

The pool looked nice but the changing rooms resembled school ones. On both occasions we went we got hair tangled in our hands in the pool. Really unpleasant and not something we've ever noticed anywhere else. On the first day the member of staff on duty looked uninterested in anything and while we told our son he couldn't jump in due to the no jumping signs all around the pool he had a good point telling us everyone else was . This too was unpleasant. On our second visit I asked a different member of staff to clarify the rules. He confirmed there was no jumping or diving in the pool and was surprised to hear about our experience the previous day. He was pleasant and helpful in complete contast to his colleague the day before.

The restaurant is good. Manned mainly by Eastern European staff (as seems to be the case throughout all areas of the hotel) but perfectly good service and generally excellent food apart from desserts which are best avoided apart from the cheese.

The location is good for warwick and Stratford and our rooms were nice and quiet overlooking the grounds. We had no road noise.

Overall it would have been a better stay if we hadn't had so much hassle before we even arrived and then further problems. A reasonably good hotel with a good restaurant but no Shire hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
KTurnbull, General Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Dear Loverofluxury.
May I thank you for taking the time and trouble to pass on your most constructive feedback following your recent stay. I am sorry that it was not the smooth seamless weekend that it should have been. Changing the day of the dinner on a two night weekend package stay happens here on a daily basis, quite often when guests manage to get late tickets for the Royal Shakespeare Theatre (which is always worth a try) so I am very dissappointed that this was not arranged immediately for you. May I assure you that your comments will be shared with all of the team to ensure this is not repeated for our future guests.
Yours sincerely
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2010

This was tough, we didnt pay much, but then again it didnt warrant a 4 star rating. No fridge, no aircon, tiny double bed, and the corridors smelled like death. The restaurant and bars were nice enough, and I gather the deluxe rooms (with fridge and aircon I gather) were probably worth the upgrade - it wasnt available on our trip. The cab fare to town was only £8, and the reliable chap was there waiting at reception as soon as we called.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear Goodjudge.
Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your comments following your stay of the weekend. It is from these that we are able to review and improve upon our service. We do not have air conditioning in our bedrooms, however we have installed quiet pedestal fans in all rooms and have a number of fridges available to put into rooms which can be requested in adavance. Our new "Q star" upgrade rooms ( across the group as part of our ongoing refurbishment) have minibars, upgraded bedding with mattress toppers and duck feather duvets and a host of little touches to make them feel more special.
I do hope that we may perhaps be able to accommodate you in one of these rooms on your next stay.
Liverpool
Reviewed August 31, 2010

One of the reasons we chose this hotel was because it had leisure facilities/fitness centre and we wanted a relaxing break with a choice of staying in the hotel if the weather was poor. We used the pool, sauna and steam room on our first evening (around 6pm). The pool area in general is in desperate need of refurbishment, especially the ceilings and nothing was particularly clean. However, the worst aspect was the changing areas which were absolutely filthy. The two showers had grubby curtains and the floors where dirty. The only way to change in private was to go into one of the two toilet cubicles and everything was so dirty that I didn't want to put any of my clothes down anywhere! I got out of there as quickly as possible and was put off using it again even though we had another two days there.
Apart from that, the hotel in general is ok. The room was clean, although needed a little tlc - e.g. bathroom door had chipped paintwork. The food was nice enough. Breakfast was great if you wanted a full english but not so much choice in continental breakfast. We ate in the restaurant one night. Food and service was fine, if a little overpriced. The waiter did acciddentaly spill our irish coffee all over both of us (fortunately we weren't scalded because the water in them wasn't hot at all!) - the waiter dealt with it very well, very apologetic, and the cost was deducted from our bill. He said they would have our clothes dry cleaned and sent on to us, but this wasn't mentioned at all when we checked out so we didn't bother.
Customer service was generally good and the staff were friendly and helpful but I dont' think I would stay there again.

Dear Teejay40.
May I take this opportuntiy to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay.
I am most disappointed to read of the shortcomings with regards to the cleanlienss of the leisure club and would liek to apologise. This simply should not happen no matter how busy the club is and we will of course be sharing your feedback to help the tream ensure that is does not happen again. I know they will be as disappointed as I am.
With regards to the offer of dry cleaning payment following the misshap with the Irish Coffee - it still stands so please forward it to the hotel for my attention.
The leek
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We booked this hotel as we fancied a short break and hadn't been to Stratford Upon Avon in a while. The Stratford Manor is slightly out of town and unfortunately doesn't have a pavement all the way so you can't walk. Buses are sketchy. The hotel was clean and the rooms were very comfortable and nicely decorated. We had booked into the restaurant for the 1st evening and it was some of the worst food we've ever had. We wouldn't recommend you eat there. The breakfast however was very nice perhaps different chefs. Staff are charming and very helpful, and the leisure facilities are well equiped. Nice for a peaceful, relaxing break as long as you are not on the side near the road, needs better double glazing that side, we moved and it is quieter on the other side. As long as you eat out it's in a good spot.

Dear Constructive.
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay.
Whilst I am delighted with your feedback on the service from the team here I am very disappointed with the comment on dinner food which obviously did not meet our normal standards on this occasion. We are in the process of introducing new lounge, room service and dinner menus which I belive will bring many improvements.
With regards to bus times you may want to consider when visiting Startford upon Avon on a future stay parking at our sister Hotel, the Stratford, which is situated in the centre of town and offers free parking, subject to availability, to our guests in return for guests from there benefitting from the use of our leisure club. Our reception have created a map linking the two to keep things simple.
Keith Turnbull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shakespeare Hotel
Mercure Stratford-Upon-Avon Shak...
#14 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Stratford Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!