“No Room at the Inn!”

Stratford Manor Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“No Room at the Inn!”
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We booked two rooms for the night of Sat 25th July to celebrate my husband birthday. We arrived early Sat morning before 9am to make the most of our day. We checked in, one room was ready but the second room wasn't , the rooms were next door to each other, we were told by reception that once the second room had come available and cleaned we would be checked into that room.

We ventured into Straford Upon Avon for the day on the river to enjoy the sunshine and we booked a table for dinner at 7pm at the hotel.

We returned at 6pm at reception to collect our key for our room but there was no key, or a room for us. They had reallocated the room to someone else whilst we were out for the day. The receptionist informed us they have arranged a taxi for us to be taken to another hotel but yet we had a room allocated at 9am that morning?

We felt there was no other option if we wanted a bed for the night so our plans for a night out in Stratford to celebrate my husbands birthday were cancelled, we took our luggage and the hotel taxi, inc. our friends to the other hotel in Warwickshire (Chesford Grange) but we had to eat at the Stratford Manor before hand as the Chesford Grange was fully booked. We finally reached Chesford Grange at 9pm to check in and our stay at this hotel wasn't much better, however they did have a room even though it was damp!

We also got a taxi back to the Straford Manor in the morning to collect our cars so we could get home.

The duty manager at the Stratford Manor did his best to try and re-organise our evening, the reception staff didn't know why our room was reallocated and they did apologise for the disruption during our stay.

I can't comment on the bedrooms as I didn't get to see them. Due to the disruption of moving hotels we didn't get time to experience the spa treatments/spa facilities at the hotel or go out in Stratford in the evening to celebrate my husbands birthday, which was the reason for booking this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank charlieSurrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Eastmidlands
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I had a complaint regarding being charged twice accidently, once by lastminute.com and then again by the hotel, when i called to query this with the hotel, I was advised on a callback as it was being looked into. The Head of Front of House called me back and not once did he offer an apology for the inconveince. When asked why I wasn't going to get a full refund, he told me that the promotion we applied for didnt include cost of drinks. He wasn't even willing to refund the £21 as a good will gesture. It was only when I made a major complaint to their head office, was this investigated and dealt with very professionally.
Would I recommend this hotel? No. Do I recommend using this site- ABSOLUTELY! lastminute.com are a fantastic site to book through! NO complaints for lastminute.com only PRAISE!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gossipgirl822
wales
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Stayed at the Stratford Manor years ago when it was the Windmill Park. It seems to need updating in most areas but was still comfortable just not up to 4* standards. The reception staff were very friendly when we arrived, even though we were quiet early or room was ready.
We had hoped to relax by the pool but they now use it for swimming lessons for children on certain days of the week, which was ok but not when all you want to do is relax and read a book.
Dinner in the restaurant was excellent with very attentive staff. The beds were comfy and the hotel was very quiet--if only the rooms had a/c as the window opened just slightly .
Breakfast was good with quiet a good choice but again not really 4*.
If I had a good deal I would stay at this hotel again as the staff were excellent and went out of their way to make you feel wecome.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank charlieWales
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My stay did not start well. I originally booked into the Stratford in the town using the Q Hotels website, but was phoned when I was about 30 mins away to say it was overbooked (how a hotel's own website can overbook is a mystery, but there we are....). I was asked if I would transfer to the Stratford Manor, to which I agreed, and I was allocated an executive room (although I had to ask for this upgrade - it was not offered). Recemption was OK, although there was no apology for the last minute move. There was no help to the room - just a point down a ubiquitous corridor. The room itself was rather dated, and not a patch on the rooms at the Stratford. The bathroom was good, but the rest of the room looked like it was nearing the end of its life - dark wook, some chips, everything a bit loose and full of rattles. The bed was comfortable. Morning breakfast was poor - a hot buffet, with food that had been out too long and needed refreshing; scrambed aggs going crispy on the bottom of the heater, bacon dried out. No-one on the kitchen seemed to care much. Would I return? No - I would much rather stay at the Stratford or, if they cannot get their booking system right, next time I will use a different hotel group.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank yamana
Gloucester
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one evening and had a wonderful experience from start to finish.The stay was for a bit of 'us' time for my husband and I whilst our 2 year old was staying with his Granny :) The hotel staff are extremely polite and helpful and the lady who checked us in and out on reception (Marina) was fantastic. We regularly stay at hotels but this has had by far the best staff we have come across (not like the Hilton Metropole!). The hotel offers room service and we found the prices reasonable (as hotels go(. They also offer a good menu for food to your room. We had a couple of drinks in the hotel bar in the evening which was a really nice setting, then on to the restuarant for an evening meal. My husband and I both thought the menu was really good. It offered a good mix of contemporary dining but with good old classics mixed in. The guy who welcomed into the restuarant was very friendly and helpful. The food and wine were both excellent.
The room we stayed in - 102 was large, bright and very clean. Good shower and very comfortable bed. We didn't use the leisure facilities so can't comment on these.
Would definently recommend this hotel and we will be using Q hotels in future, we have previously stayed in Hiltons and Barcelo and been very dissapointed in both cases.
Wonderful Stay!! Thank you to the excellent staff! :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cathy701314
Reading, England
Reviewed May 8, 2009

Location is just outside of Stratford Upon Avon, taking 5 mins to drive in. If you're seeing the area I would assume you'd have a car as that's the best way to view the beautiful rolling Cotswold hills and Warwick, Stratford, etc etc.
Hotel was clean, comfortable, very large and spacious rooms and bathrooms. Room had tea, coffee, cookies, hair dryer, laundry, iron, ironing board, shampoo, conditioner (very decent ones), shower gel, soap, satellite tv and comfortable and good sized beds. Room was cleaned and everything replenished everyday, very good service.
Breakfast was a wide range from English cooked (sausages, beans, bacon, eggs scrambled or fried, black pudding, fried bread...) to Continental (croissants, pastries, hams, cheese, ...) and fruit, cereal, coffee/tea, juices, toast, etc. Also, in weekends breakfast was until 10.30am! Bonus for a nice lie in :-D
Really nice service, all staff friendly and polite and quick and getting things done.
Spa was good, Clean pool and steam room and spacious changing room facilities with shower gel and hair dryers and lockers, etc.
When we left the hotel there was a complication with our payment where Expedia had not paid the hotel for our booking, the staff sorted this out without arguments leaving us perfectly calm and comfortable to leave without problems.
It really did suit our needs for our weekend away in the Cotswolds and to stay in a nice, clean and very comfortable hotel (especially because it was a Bank holiday weekend so the prices were high everywhere, this was at a very good price of £70 per night incl of the huge breakfast).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline_and_Timmy
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2009

On arrival the hotel looks great and the lobby is very nice and open, however we were both disappointed with the size of the room. We only went for the standard room but we were still not impressed, the room had everything it needed but it just didn't live up to the rest of the hotel. Bar area nice, although I struggled to get served and ended up leaving without a drink when the taxi arrived in the afternoon. It is definatly a taxi ride into the centre of Stratford which some taxi's try and charge you £12 each way, luckily the hotel uses a privatly run taxi driver who only charges £8 and is very helpful with where to go etc. Didn't eat here at night, but the hotel seemed a bit expensive, but if you get the quality that everyone says then you shouldn't be disappointed. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice, we got there quite late so a couple of things (sausages, beans, bacon) were a bit dry - suppose they were fine when they were first put out. Apart from that the choice was really great, and catered for everyone. We booked with Lateroom.com so think we paid £70 with breakfast included, which seems about right. The leisure facilities are very pleasent, and well worth a visit to relax - if this hotel didn't have this it would be a very run-of-the-mill hotel, this is a very welcome and important facility of this hotel. All in all a nice stay, parts of the hotel are a bit dated, especially the area from the lobby to the rooms. That said you don't spend much time here so is it important - not really but it does ruin the overall feel of this hotel. Rooms are modern, but just lack that "something" ?? I would probably stay nearer the centre of Stratford if I were to go again, but this hotel did offer nice tranquil setting and atmosphere so it's personal preference really.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeanoR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,014 reviews
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 27 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Stratford Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!