1,576 results
All reviewsq hotelsspa treatmentsbreakaway clubswimming poolsauna and steam roomevening mealleisure facilitiesreception staffrestaurant staffgood sizespa arealovely hotelshort drivenight breakfour star hoteltrouser pressplenty of parking
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Booking a belated anniversary gift for my wife i thought a spa break would be the ideal way to unwind after christmas.
Arrival and check in was good. Very helpful and advised about lunch choices.
Lunch was good as were the spa treatments so we were relaxed and ready for a nice romantic evening meal.
Upon arrival just before 8pm we we're shown to our table which was to the rear of the restaurant by what seemed to be a children's buffet. Just as our starters arrived a large group of 15 arrived and basically ruined our stay. I'm not saying I'm against children dining in restaurants but when the children are sat at one end if the table and are not supervised by the adults then it becomes an issue. I asked the adults on the table to please control the children and I got sarcastic remarks and abuse back. All the restaurant team were quite busy as the group kept changing there meal choices again and again causing even more noise.

We ended up just quickly eating out food and returning to our room.
The next day it seemed that had created such a fuss that the table was set up for them in the bar area so it seems the staff and other customers also had a stomach full of the attitude.

I have complained to Q hotels and got the normal response of thank you for bringing this to my attention blah blah blah. I raised the point that as I booked through central reservations why did they take my booking when I stated it was an anniversary gift and they book me in to a hotel that has 35 children stopping in it at the time???

Anyway it soured my experience of the break and ended up more stressed leaving than when I entered!!

Maybe a bit of common sense and better communication can save Q hotels from losing customers.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine E, General Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear just-dom,
Thank you for your detailed review of Stratford Manor.
Reception are pleased that your check-in experience was good and helpful. I am sorry to hear that the larger family affected your stay with us. Following our recent correspondence we have implemented detailed restaurant bookings to avoid repetition.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Were do we begin ?? Arrived at Stratford Manor at around 1pm on Saturday ready for our two night break, the guy on reception, Andreis, was really friendly & helpful, telling us that our room was ready two hours earlier than check in which was great news for us to stow our bags and get our weekend started, the whole feeling in the hotel was relaxed and all the staff we encountered were really on the ball and nothing was too much trouble, we had two fantastic meals in the restaurant which we could not fault & the service was excellent especially from the manager Trevor who was just a total professional, really funny guy but didn't miss a single thing that was going on around him, good or bad, breakfast on all three mornings was very good, sometimes a bit slow to replenish when busy but we were in no rush so did not feel it necessary to complain and by our last day those issues seemed to have been sorted, after two amazing days we then decided to try and stay another night, sadly we couldn't stay in our lovely Q star room, which had a fridge, sky box, was very spacious, comfortable and clean but they moved us without any hassle to a nice double room which was more than adequate for our last night, we would without hesitation return to this hotel, ticked all the boxes for us and some !! Big well done to all the staff in this lovely hotel you do yourselves proud....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolynBedfordshire

Dear CarolynBedfordshire,
Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel.
Andries is over the moon that he made a friendly first impression on arrival and I am glad to hear you could get into your room early. Trevor is also very happy he amused you over breakfast and is glad you recognised his good serviced. I am glad you enjoyed your extended stay with us and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night between Christmas and New Year. The rooms were clean, a bit small for two adults, a five year old and a baby, but were reasonably comfortable. My five year old enjoyed splashing around in the pool and the staff were generally friendly and helpful. We've stayed at the Stratford Manor Hotel previously, so knew what to expect.

The breakfast, however, was a completely different story. It was utter chaos and one of the worst hotel breakfasts that I've had the misfortune to experience. We went down for breakfast about 8.30am and most of the food had gone. I has to wait for some pastries to be brought out for the children, but they brought out so few that they disappeared as soon as they were put out. The table that they used to serve breakfast cereals was covered in a massive pile of discarded packs and boxes, it was a horrible mess. We gave up on those two options and joined the queue for the cooked breakfast, had to wait for food to be brought out as they'd run out. By the time we were able to serve ourselves the food was cold and virtually uneatable. The quality was really really poor as well, fatty bacon, cheap baked beans and rubber scrambled egg. I gave up on the cooked breakfast and asked about pastries again, they brought some out but they were uncooked in the middle. At that point, we gave up entirely.

I did complain to a member of staff, a older man, who wasn't particularly helpful. When I challenged him about the general mess (the room looked like a bomb had hit it and tables weren't been cleared) and the mess on the table they use to serve the cereals, he said it was the guests fault. As I pointed out to him, surely it's up to the staff to keep the dining room tidy, clear tables and throw rubbish away.

In general the hotel is good, it's not luxurious, but the rooms are clean, serviceable and comfortable and the facilities are good. But on this occasion, the breakfast service was an utter disgrace, which really let the hotel down.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Elizabeth B,
Thank you for staying with us at Stratford Manor Hotel between Christmas and New Years. We hope your family had a nice Christmas. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion breakfast was a let down. As you know our breakfast is usually at a high standard and this was a one of occasion. I am happy to hear that your room was comfortable and clean and that the little ones enjoyed a splash in our pool. I hope to see you again where I can assure you that our breakfast will be back to its high standards.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed with an extended family group over the Christmas period, arriving Christmas Eve and departing the day after Boxing Day.

We had the most wonderful stay. The staff were friendly and helpful - if you needed anything you just had to ask. The food was good, particularly considering the number if guests they were catering for, and it was so great not to have to worry about food shopping, cooking, clearing away, washing up... What a treat!

The pool and leisure facilities were great and we enjoyed a swim on Christmas morning after making our own Christmas crackers! The games room was brilliant and had lots of tables with a variety of games available. The kids had great fun in here with their new toys and also were able to use the Wii which was provided for guests' use. There was also bingo on Christmas Day afternoon, a race night in the evening and a falconry display on Boxing Day so no shortage of things to do.

When we got home we realised that some toys had been left in the games room but they were soon located and are winging there way back to us now!

Thank you so much to the wonderful staff - I wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Shegoon,
I am pleased to hear you have had a very Merry Christmas at Stratford Manor Hotel and hope Santa bought you everything you wanted.
The chefs are glad you enjoyed your Christmas dinner and I can assure you that we will treat you to not needing to wash up again next year!.
I am glad the children had a fun time in the games room and that their toys got home safely.
See you again next year.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Just back from a spa break to brighten up the gap between Christmas and New Year, with a friend which was excellent value. A lovely lunch followed by treatments from Shelley and Lottie really relaxing then a lovely evening meal. Room clean and really comfy beds. Andries on reception welcoming and helpful. Also the hotel beautifully decorated to add to the experience.
Next morning breakfast with lots of choice and friendly service, followed by a walk round the grounds and then unfortunately we had to head for home.
We will be back

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tilly168,
Thanks for staying at Stratford Manor and I hope you had a Happy New Year. Lottie and Andries are glad they made your stay relaxing. We hope you can come back in the summer where you can enjoy our beautiful grounds as well as the hotel.