“Efficient but lacks character”

Stratford Manor Hotel
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Efficient but lacks character”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This is a good hotel for a quick break near Stratford. It is a few miles out but has a good carpark.The service is friendly and efficent.The rooms were spacious and clean.There are large grounds which could do with some attention and tidying up.There is potential for a 9 hole golf course.There is a small gym and a reasonable pool which is quite deep.
The breakfast was good with a well-stocked buffet.The evening meals were nicely presented and tasty but slightly expensive if not on a special deal
My wife had 3 nights good sleep as there was no noise from the other guests. A useful hotel for a break but lacks a bit of romance and character

Room Tip: Room on the grojund floor was a handy and quiet
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear DWright801,
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased that we had the opportunity to look after you at Stratford Manor. I'm glad you enjoyed the swimming pool and our Shakespeare Restaurant. Our staff are friendly and welcoming and I hope, based on this experience, you will re-visit in the future.
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We loved it, the staff were very friendly and efficient. Our room, though small was adequate, and spotlessly clean. Dinner was excellent, as was breakfast, and afternoon tea! It is just a short drive from the centre of Stratford-on-Avon, and we would certainly recommend it as the ideal base for exploring the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Dear Blossom42,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Stratford Manor. I'm delighted to hear you had a great stay with us and you highly recommend Stratford Manor.
We have a great location in Warwickshire and are an ideal base for discovering the surrounding areas - whether it be a jaunt into the Cotswolds, a visit to Royal Leamington Spa, relaxing in Stratford-upon-Avon or some serious shopping in Birmingham.
I hope you will come and visit us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed here while travelling with my parents. This was a fantastic 4 star hotel without the expensive nightly rate. Hotel facilities were great with everything you could need including, restaurant, bar, sauna, steam room, free parking etc. It is a huge property so is about a 10-15min drive out of the city centre but if you are not dirivng they also have another property right in the heart of town. Staff were very friendly and made sure to point out the best deal possible that was available to us which ended up saving us over £60 for the 2 rooms. Hot tip - if you are staying on Sunday night they have £45 B&B rates if you join their club (joining fee £10). Would definitely stay again and recommend!!

Room Tip: Great hotel with fantastic facilities at a great price¬
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Dear angelac29,
Thank you for your review.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our rates to be very favourable. Being a member of our Breakaway Club you will be notified of the special offers and deals available at all the Q Hotels and I hope you get the opportunity to explore the rest of the UK whilst using Q Hotels as a base.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were transfered here due to overbooking at our original choice and when we got there there was no record of us, but the staff here were amazing and so accomodating, especially Martina, who stopped me from having a meltdown and did everything she could to help us, finding us an excellent room. We had a lovely stay, great facilities and made use of lots of them. everything was just perfect and we are so glad that we stayed there. We will defo be back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear nixie8,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that your original choice hotel could not accommodate you however - their loss is our gain and I'm so pleased that we had the opportunity to look after you. Marina will be delighted to know she saved the day and will be rewarded through our staff appreciation scheme.
The last thing you need during a relaxing break is a 'melt down' and I'm sure you found all our facilities to be the right tonic to prevent this from happening.
Hope to welcome you back to Stratford Manor soon.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I've worked in a hotel for years so can be very critical when staying in other hotels, but I am pleased to say Stratford Manor is a lovely 4 star hotel, the staff we met were all very friendly and polite and a credit to Q Hotels. The room we had was large, it was clean and in good decorative order, the bed was really comfy too. The shower in the bathroom was brilliant - and unexpected, I wish I could have taken it home with me!!

The hotel allowed us bring our dog, which was great as so many hotels are not dog friendly these days, the room we were given was at the very end of corridor, which from the hotels point of view meant other guests wouldn't be disturbed if our dog barked, but this worked both ways as we had no one walking past our room which in turn meant there was no reason for her to bark...so a peaceful time was had by all.

My only possible negative point would be that if you are a fussy eater the restaurant menu was a little limited with only 4 choices per course, however having said that the Barnsley chops were lovely!

All in all a great place to stay jut outside the hussle of Stratford in a beautiful setting. Thanks Martin and Keith, you have a hotel to be proud of.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear JaneRogers,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.
I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sharing your kind words with the rest of the team shortly.
I trust that your dog enjoyed our 21 acres of grounds and also had a fab time away.
With another 20 Hotels across the UK, whether it be a city break or rural escape, I'm certain you will find a Q Hotel to cater for your needs in the future.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We recently stayed at Stratford Manor for 3 nights over a weekend and chose it because of the great rate and the gym facilities. I um’ed and ah’ed over finally deciding on this hotel mainly because of its location, It’s an 8 minute drive from central Stratford Upon Avon and if you’re visiting a town to make the most of it’s amenities I find it’s best to stay as close to the centre as possible but the deal and the gym hooked me and I’m glad it did.

Firstly – the hotel is very easy to find, it’s on the Warwick Road out of Stratford and has a relatively large car park out front and an impressive frontage with a lovely water feature. When we arrived there were a number of conferences on but we still managed to find a parking space and were checked in within minutes. The receptionist checking us in was a lovely lady, really friendly and pointed out all of the facilities.

The bedroom was of a medium size with a large bath (essential for us), flat screen TV, desk, table and two comfy arm chairs. The thing we were both excited about was full sky TV, lame I know as we were supposed to be on a romantic weekend away but having access to decent T.V. was great. I’ve never stayed anywhere that had more the than freeview and you get bored of ITV3 and BBC news after a while so being able to watch the odd decent programme was a bonus. The bed was huge and inviting with a mountain of cushions and just the right side of firm. Also worth noting decent toiletries in the bathroom too – I can’t remember the brand but I’d recommend the little bath calming blend which you drop in to the water. An essential for any away from home stay is internet connection which was free, and in our room by Ethernet cable at a very good speed although we did have to check with reception that ‘24 hours free’ meant that you got it free all the time not for just 24 hours. The marketing department need to know that ‘Free’ works better than ‘24 hours free’. They also give you filter coffee and proper milk rather than UHT – someone there deserves a pat on the back for realising decent coffee makes a lot of difference after a heavy night out. The staff even added a deaf version of the filter coffee after noticing we’d brought our own instant.

Breakfast was quite good, not the best I’ve ever had but plenty of choice and constantly topped up.

I of course tried the gym which was shamefully empty (never understand why no one ever uses hotel gyms) so I had my pick of equipment, several running machines, rowing machines, free weights, elliptical machines a stepper – all the basics. I didn’t use the pool but it looked a fair size and was very clean. I actually liked the running machines they had better than the one’s in my normal gym. Just a comment on a previous reviewers' opinion on the changing facilities – if no one ever uses the gym why should they spend any money doing it up? We went in twice – once to check it out and once to use it and the only people to keep us company were the staff.

As for the location of the hotel, if you’re heavy drinkers and never visit a gym you may want to choose the Q Hotel a short walk from the centre of town but this hotel for us was fantastic as a base for not just Stratford but Warwick too. The parking is more spacious and the hotel is further away from the drinking holes of Stratford so no drunks toddling past in the middle of the night. We used the car park of Stratford Victoria for free which was useful but if you’re lucky there is plenty of car parks in the town and free on road parking in the evening. Stratford Manor is clearly a popular conference & event hotel and this worried me a little at first but we were not disturbed at all despite being quite close to the front of the hotel even on a night when there was a wedding reception with lots of merry guests.

The staff were lovely; nothing was a problem for them, something different from the menu at 1am (fast, friendly room service with great food), a whole bucket of ice for a sore wrist, replacing a lost room key, more biscuits when we didn’t get our yummy complimentary ones.

Our stay was pretty perfect but just so they don’t get all big headed a couple of minor niggles –
• square bathroom sinks = dumb idea, style over substance
• mini bar = we couldn't find a price list anywhere which made us a little nervous about helping ourselves even though we did
• Restaurant = no menu on display outside, which as my partner is a fussy eater, put us off a little.

But these were really small niggles and definitely won’t stop me visiting again.

Dear RaeSteve,
Wow, what a review. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on TripAdvisor. I'm really pleased that you discovered us and that you will be back for more.
I do hope your wrist is feeling better soon.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Service was good. With English manner.
The room was good sized, and good standard, boring colors.
Its beautiful located but you will need a car to transport you there.
The best thing was the pool, and the worst thing was that a woke up at 3am 2 nights in a row of drunk gusts running and screaming in the hotel corridors from the rented party local in the same building!

I wouldn't choose this hotel again because of that!
The sauna was also out of order during my 4 days there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear Joelahl,
Thank you for your review.
I am really sorry that the behaviour of other guests marred your stay on this occasion. Whether it be for a wedding, conference, banquet or leisure visit, we welcome all guests to Stratford Manor and trust that they will respect both the hotel and the privacy of other guests during their time with us.
The sauna, steam room, swimming pool and gym are fully functional and I'm sorry that there was a delay in fixing the sauna during your visit.
I'm really pleased that you found our environment to be beautiful, with 21 acres of grounds we have lots of opportunities for guests to stretch their legs be it after a hearty breakfast or early evening stroll.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,014 reviews
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 27 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Stratford Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!