The Stratford Q in Stratford-upon-Avon was the perfect choice for a post-business trip with my wife to celebrate her birthday, and it just happened to coincide with the birthday of some local guy named William Shakespeare from a few centuries ago. Before checking in, I had wondered if we had made the best choice (larger, more modern hotel establishment vs. a quaint several-hundred-year-old inn or B&B or guesthouse, which were numerous in this area). The warm greeting at the front desk helped put me a bit at ease, then finding an upgrade to a nicer room made me look pretty good in my wife's eyes: quiet end room, plush robes for lounging about, a mini-fridge to keep the sparkling wine cold and store some excellent cheeses procured from the local Paxton and Whitfield cheesemonger a few blocks away. A heated mirror in the bathroom so she could take steamy showers and still see to brush out her hair while I shaved, etc. certainly were the kind of nice modern touches that make for fond memories in place of a perhaps quaint timber-framed ancient country cottage with sloping creaking floors and door frames that Will would have easily walked under but would have had my 1.85 m frame feeling like a hunchback (reference previous night's stay in Ledbury at the Talbot Hotel.....).
We found the location excellent, an easy stroll to catch a Royal Shakespeare Theatre production and dinner at any number of nice restaurants, a day trip over to Warwick Castle, and walking distance to many of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust tourism sites, not to mention the Saturday birthday parade festivities. Very reasonable daily charge for a spacious secured carpark and an excellent breakfast, with an attentive staff and cook. Reaonably priced, and beautiful grounds provided a buffer from the busy intersection at which the Stratford is located. All in all, I was very impressed, probably my favorite of the 5 diverse lodgings we experienced during our 8-night UK tour. I would definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chic and sophisticated, this delightful hotel is the epitome of good taste. And we don't just mean our heavenly restaurant, Quills. Following our £7 million refurbishment, the décor is oh so contemporary and absolutely gorgeous. The extravagant rooms take you to a place beyond comfort. Centrally located, a stroll away from great shopping, theatres and attractions, and 2 minutes from the train station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Stratford, A QHotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Stratford, a q Hotel Stratford-Upon-Avon
- The Stratford, A QHotel Stratford-Upon-Avon, England
- Stratford a Qhotel Upon Avon
- Stratford Victoria Hotel