“Pretty good effort”

The Stratford, A QHotel
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Pretty good effort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night over Easter. We arrived early and parked the car up without any problems and went into town. We were then able to check in earlier than expected as the room was ready. We were impressed with the size of the superior room although the bathroom was a little small. The air conditioning was good as it was very cold outside and we managed to get the room up to a good temperature. We were very glad to see the room had two big comfy chairs and a large bed. Staff were polite and helpful and all communal areas were clean and modern. The breakfast was ok with a fair selection and check out went without a hitch, so overall very pleased. We knew about the parking charge and didn't have a problem with it considering it was secure and only a short walk into town.

Room Tip: We stayed on 312 which was nice and big and quiet
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Laura J

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Stratford and hope to see you again soon.

Annie Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Korean first
Cardiff Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I arrived on a Sunday evening for a two night stay. The check-in went ok then as it was getting late we went to dinner at 8.30pm. The Maitre d' told us that a couple of the dishes were not available which didn't bother us. My wife ordered scallops as her first course and duck for the main course. I ordered leek and followed by mushroom risotto. After 20 minutes a waitress arrived to tell my wife that the scallops were not available and recommended that she select something else. My wife agreed to take the waitress's recommendation which turned out to be some kind of caviar - served about one hour after we had arrived at the restaurant. I was offered bread with my main course but it was very stale: hard and dry. I asked to see the manager and related our experience to him and asked him for his view on the standard of service. He said that it wasn't good enough. The main courses were ok though my wife's grilled duck turned out to be 4 medallions of duck meat. I was offered more bread and it was the same as before hard and dry and very stale. Our meal eventually finished at 10.30pm and the only saving grace was that we were not charged. Interestingly we had a similar, very delayed, meal at the Q Hotel at Cambourne near Cambridge the previous October but didn't make any complaint at the time. Next time we stay at a Q hotel (if ever) we shall make a point of finding a nearby pub or restaurant and eating there: as indeed we did on our second nights in both Cambourne and Stratford (the Edward Moon - excellent).

Room Tip: Make sure that the A/C is working properly. Our room was too warm and stuffy but turning the A/C dow...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Welshwindbag

I am sorry to read of your dining experience; please be assured this is not usual and is currently being reviewed with the team. Should you be returning to The Stratford in the future I would be delighted to offer a complimentary meal for two in order that we can restore your faith in Q Hotels dining experience. Please contact the hotel directly to arrange this following making your reservation in the normal manner.

Kind regards
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

just got back from staying there for two nights.booked in in the early hours on the sunday morning
booked the executive room with breakfast paid on arrival this was a first ,( phone the hotel)
tried to book on line but found it hard as the time was changing so was not sure if i have to pay for one day or two. they charge me £212 in reception and on line was £154 with breakfast but they told me that price was wrong so paid what they ask for but they did'nt tell me if it include breakfast
only when i left that then they told me about breakfast ,but i did'nt eat this on both days i paid alot of money this weekend just to have the wrong room they gave me ,on the first floor this was not what i paid for told them but they did'nt even say sorry or refund my breakfast which i did not have. they only mention the car parking fees on arrival which was £5 a day thats fine was happy to pay but they should have gave me the room i paid for and inform me what i actual paid for no invoice so i can't even check. not a happy person took my wife there for anniversary which was disappointing have to treat her again thank you holiday inn. and we love stratford-apon-avon

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SHAKILA R
Shakilar

It would appear this is not our hotel you are talking about but the Holiday Inn, if this is not the case please do feel free to contact me directly to ensure we can resolve any issue.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

wow. what a lovly hotel and every member of staff were so happy and helpful.the breakfast is worth every penny. the rooms are very clean and comfy. a must stay for anyone comming to stratford.its 5 mins from the town. the bar prices are very good.the food in the restaurant is 5 star and so is the service.

• Stayed April 2013
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear 2043nooks

Your lovely comments are very much appreciated and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased that you took the opportunity to enjoy our new Restaurant Menu during your stay, your comments will be passed onto our team.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I'd deliberately booked a hotel online which was close to the railway station. Little did I know what a magnificent hotel I'd booked. Everything was perfect; gorgeous room, friendly staff, lovely garden surrounds, walking distance to RSC. Next time, I'll make sure I stay longer.

Room Tip: Lots of cushions on bed are great for reading, tv watching and the back muscles.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JanJennySue
Dear JanJennySue

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations during your stay and that everything was perfect during your time with us. Thank you for taking the time to complete an online review and we look forward to seeing you again but this time for longer.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have just returned from a short break to Stratford to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We have stayed at The Stratford on many occasions over the past 4 years and can honestly say that this trip has been the best ever. In the past I have felt that the staff have been disinterested and going through the motions but certainly not on this occasion. There seemed to be a new approach with staff being very attentive and keen to ensure that our stay was a good one. Desmond particularly must be praised in the way he delivered my daughter's birthday cake and made her brealkfast a special one. Thank you also to the other staff on duty who made her day one to remember by wishing her a happy birthday and remembering our name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shakespearefan0812
Dear Shakespearefan0812

Thank you for returning to the Stratford Hotel and taking the time complete a review. I am delighted to here that this was your best trip ever and that our team made your daughters birthday extra special. We look forward to seeing you again at the Stratford Hotel.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in a Superior room with a king sized bed, bathrobes, upgraded toiletries and a larger floor space than a standard room. Our room on the second floor was the quietest room I have ever stayed in, resulting in the best night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel! It was spotlessly clean, with a variety of pillows to suit most tastes. Everything about the stay was pleasurable- breakfast consisted of a buffet style hot food selection of the usual bacon/ egg/ hash browns etc... All well presented. There were delicious pastries, croissants, fresh fruit, yoghurts, continental meats and a self service toasting machine. The staff at the Stratford were all friendly and helpful. We could not fault any aspect of our stay. It was a short walk from the centre of Stratford, set back from the main road ( hence the peace and quiet!) ... Unlike many of the other hotels around which were situated directly on the main streets. If you like modern clean lines, good food and service then this hotel should not disappoint!

Room Tip: Our room did not have a nice view- it overlooked a small courtyard - something that we did not mind...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Emma

Thank you for choosing The Stratford Hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had your best nights sleep ever in a Hotel. I am pleased that our staff were friendly and helpful throughout I will pass your comments on to them. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Stratford.