“Fantastic Refurbished Public Areas”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Refurbished Public Areas”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The public areas have been completely refurbished since I was last here 2 years ago, and this has absolutely transformed these areas of the hotel making them cool, contemporary and a really well designed, nicely decorated and finished environments in which people want to hang out!
What a transformation!
There’s a lounge next to the lobby, a large bar and an extensive deck out in the garden. I was too busy to really take advantage of these this time around, but I did manage to squeeze in a quick power-lunch one day and an after-work drink on the last night.
The staff were all brilliant, really friendly and helpful – front desk, bar / restaurant / housekeeping – everyone I came into contact there on this visit made me feel welcome – even if they could not do anything about the issues I had with the internet (see below!).
It’s usually an annual pilgrimage for me to work at the Global Gathering EDM Festival, and you get an interesting mix of clientele at the hotel during this period – from retired genteel holidaymakers checking out Shakespeare’s Stratford to a slew of ravers and party people working and performing at the festival – which usually grantees the bar to be lively into the small hours.
The festival site at Long Marston Airfield is only a 10 minute drive up the road so that’s really convenient.
The rooms have not been upgraded or refurbished yet, (and the building is not attractive from the exterior) but I had a good sized room (I booked an executive class) with a large desking area, good sized window, DVD player and a few other accoutrements like a fridge, free water, ‘natural’ lemonade and chocolate.
All the basics were there - the best was comfy, the bathroom had a full sized bath which I always like and although not massive was not too cramped either, there were plenty of convenient hooks and sockets, etc.
Everything was fine – nothing outstanding – just a decent Holiday Inn standard.
The parking was free as I have a Priority Club reward card, there was lots of spaces and the charge was £5 if you did have to pay – so not bad really!
The only negative … was the WIFI / internet facilities.
For me they are rubbish! For someone just wanting to check their mail and do a bit of internet surfing, then the free service is absolutely adequate … but I am not the norm on this front!
I arrived from the last job with a load of important images to be Ftp'd to my partner in the business for processing - around 5 Gb .
Uploads on the free internet session are capped at 250 Mb ... so to upload these pix from the previous night – I’d flown in from Glasgow - I had to sit by the laptop during the transfer 9which was not a great speed either!) upload to the cap of 250 Mb each time, disconnect, reconnect, re-start the session and upload the next 250 Mb.
That was a real pain!
Normally I would start the upload and get on with something else, go out, etc. – in this case I could not even get to site in time for my first meeting because I had to sit by the machine – in the end I speeded it up slightly by having two sessions going simultaneously on two different laptops … but it’s really easy to get muddled between what’s gone up and what hasn’t!
I would have been very happy to pay for an internet service with some decent upload allowance and bandwidth at this point … BUT .. Nothing available!
Plan B in this situation is always to fire up my Vodafone 3G / 4G dongle .. but the Voda cell reception in and around the hotel is almost non-existent! You were lucky if you could get one bar for a voice call …. So you can whistle for your data which does not take precedence on the cell network!
I was a bit stuck.
Also, the business centre was closed, so I was unable to get printing done – with that my working schedule for the weekend completely disrupted, the stay was a bit of a disaster from that point of view!
I will think carefully before booking in there again unless they can guarantee some sort of serious option for power internet users … or a new Vodafone mast is erected nearby!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HISUA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Anne Louise S,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us, a really fantastic review for myself and the team to read. I am sorry WIFI wasn’t up to scratch we are trying to resolved this along with pushing Vodafone to add better coverage to the area (I`m a user and cant get signal anywhere in town either!).

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Rhyl, North Wales
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Ground floor has been renovated and is lovely. Hopefully the rooms will be next. Rooms and corridors upstairs dusty in corners and under bed and dated and well used. Water pressure poor in shower. Air con worked well. Coffee and tea in room and comp shower gel etc but no safe in room. Outdoor terrace facing the river is a lovely area to relax and I would recommend the afternoon tea. Drinks reasonably priced. You can get boat trips along river from terrace. Location is good. Easy walk into town, river or theatre. Plenty of parking. Wifi worked well and was free for club members. Breakfast was chaotic with staff not clearing tables and stocking up. Disappointed they didn't have the usual holiday inn pancake machine. Try to avoid coach parties at breakfast. Cleaner entered room on our last morning despite do not disturb sign being out. Lucky we were dressed! We have been there many times and will return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear BasRhyll_Northwales,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us, absolutely delighted that you have recommended the afternoon tea, it really is a fantastic spot for a bit of tea and cake and watch the world go by.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel... Central but the beds are super. Would use again in a heartbeat. (Internet cost used to be extreme, but since I complained they changed the hotel policies for all.... But just double check before booking if Internet is important to you... Like you need to connect to business etc)

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Tmaraj,

Absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and all Stratford has to offer too, I will of course pass on your kind comments to all the team at the hotel for review.

Staffordshire, England
Reviewed August 4, 2014

stay was good , the reception staff were very friendly and check in was fast. Room was clean and a very comfortable bed. The outdoor space at the hotel had lots of comfortable seating with great view over the lake, ideal for chilling. Breakfast is buffet style, plenty of choice of hot and cold with limitless tea/coffee. all of good quality and fresh. location is brilliant with a 2 minute walk to the main areas of Stratford. My only niggle is that you have to pay for internet access, however that can be resolved by joining their IHG rewards ( which we have now) and that enables free wifi. Very pleasant stay which I would visit again on my return

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen026
Dear Eileen026,

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Situated where you want to be when visiting Stratford, 2 minutes walk and you are at the RSC - high Street shops - canals and river - river cruises - Shakespeare's birth place etc we had an executive room which included complementary shampoos and soaps, bathrobes, lemonade, still and sparkling water,milk- dark- and white chocolate bars and free wifi code which worked fine. The room was also equipped with air conditioning which we used and was was very effective.
Breakfast was very good with a great choice and variety of foods.
Their outside decking area slopes down to the river, a great place to have a pint or glass of wine relax in there comfortable chairs and watch the boats and barges go by. We did not dine in as there are many good restaurants in the town. Lots of other facilities available like gym and pool.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor which overlooked reception area and one row of car parking. The view...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear GylnnA,

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful two night stay here while exploring the town of Stratford. The location couldn't be better 5 minutes to the RSC theatre and into the centre of town. The staff on reception and in the bar really were lovely. The hotel also boasts a great outdoor seating area right on the river, ideal for post theatre drinks. Can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear KirstyB,

Thank you for your fantastic review following your stay with us, I will of course pass on your kind words to the team and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Our stay here was okay, with our room being comfortable and clean, however our staying experience was reduced due to a few minor issues.
Internet access, at this hotel you have to pay for access, yet at its sister branch (Holiday Express Newport, Cardif) this was free....a small cost saving by the Stratford branch that really irritated us and would not encourage us to return.
Car parking, this was also charged in addition to the accommodation, at £5.00 for the nights parking, it again irritated for such a small profit to the Hotel...best if this was included in the Accommodation...customers like to feel that their are getting something for nothing.
A sign on the bathroom wall stating Shower mats available at Reception really helps when your naked and about to enter the shower....how about having these in the bathroom of the units ready for use when required!!! More helpful, and likely to reduce any Health and Safety issues.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Steve G,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad you liked your room accommodations. However, I am sorry you found some of our amenities and overall value less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W