“Enjoyable Stay”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We only spent one night at this hotel and were a bit concerned after reading some disappointing reviews. However, we were pleasantly surprised. We were greeted by friendly and helpful reception staff and the entrance was modern, clean, light and airy with a lovely seating area. Our room overlooked the air conditioning units on the roof, and the river beyond that. With the window open, you could hear machinery but it wasn't loud enough to bother us. The bed was comfy and clean as were all areas that we saw. The shower had a slight leak on it which we reported when we checked out. In no way did it effect the quality of the shower. The breakfast buffet was served in a large dining area overlooking some nicely kept lawns and the river. Selections could be made from cereals, fresh fruits and yoghurts, cheese, ham and tomatoes, breads, danish pastries and choco pain. Of course, there was also a hot buffet of traditional English breakfast foods. My only complaint here was that the over enthusiastic waiter had taken my juice and coffee from the table while I was at the buffet. No problem though, I just got another. I did get woken at some point in the night by the sound of children using the corridor above us as a race track. This obviously isn't the fault of the hotel but the parents who maybe should respect other guests. When we checked out we were told the parking had been free and it was so convenient to be right besides the river, in the centre of town and not have to worry about car parks. We'd certainly go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river at the back, which is away from the main road.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Deborah P,

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking. I’m delighted that your room was comfortable and you found our team members to be friendly and professional at all times. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Miguel Abellan van Kan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stay here regularly on our annual visit to Stratford on Avon. We used to stay at the Shakespeare Hotel but that one priced itself out of our range. In fact we prefer the Holiday Inn. Not only is it less fussy and pretentious, it is easy to find when one is driving in to Stratford, it is easy to park there (sometimes parking is free and sometimes it costs £5 for a 24 hour period). The rooms are comfortable, the price reasonable (especially if one books ahead to get the advance purchase rate). It is a few minutes walk to the theatres. The breakfasts are excellent. The lobby area and public spaces are pleasant, with a good view of the river from the lounge and restaurant. I can't fault the Holiday Inn in Stratford. It is not 5 star luxury but it is a good, comfortable place to stay and will remain our first choice for future trips to this city

Room Tip: I don't think there is much to choose between the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Barbara707_12,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am very pleased to read that as a returning customer you continue to enjoy your stays with us and always find our hotel comfortable and of good value. I hope to welcome you back soon for another relaxing break in Stratford.

Lancashire
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in September. This hotel is in the middle of Stratford very close to the RSC and there is a big car park. The rooms are good and everything worked. The breakfast is a good buffet with a big selection. The public rooms have had a big makeover and are very smart and modern.

The bar is smart, if a bit sterile, the selection of drinks isn't very good and they're expensive.

It is a big hotel and gives the impression of a shopping mall, with no shops. The staff were very good.

A downside is that we couldn't get a Vodafone signal anywhere in or near the building and hotel internet is £5 a day.

We didn't use the pool or the gym although it looked good enough.

Turn left outside the hotel and there is a riverside path into the countryside. If you cross the road you go into the marina and on to the RSC. There are a lot of restaurants in that area. Beyond the RSC is a church containing Shakespeare's grave. If you don't go through the marina you go left on an old tram bridge that is now a footbridge leading to a park that runs along the river, at the end is another footbridge across the river leading to the church mentioned above and return to the RSC and town.

We recommend this hotel, its location is excellent and its quality is good. It isn't cheap especially during the week but we think it's value for money is probably about right..

Dear Pete3080,

Thank you for taking the time to review your break with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything from our team members to our location to be excellent. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is situated very close to the centre of Stratford upon Avon near to the tourist information centre. We stayed for a long weekend and we were very impressed with the friendly helpful staff who were polite and very efficient. The hotel is quite large and our room was at least 100 metres from the lift ( and it was not the furthest away) so if you have trouble walking do ask for a room near the lift when you book. The outdoor space has just been refurbished with split level docking and comfortable seating where staff will serve you with drinks and food. The food is ok but not haute cuisine, there is a carvery with a selection of meats and well cooked vegetables as well as a selection of dishes such as steak, burgers and pizza made to order. The wine list is not extensive and expensive.
Our big criticism was the room keys! In a 4 night stay we had 9 keys and each time we could not get in we were faced with the long walk as the phones on the corridor always seemed to be engaged. If you want to park your car and explore Stratford upon Avon this hotel will give you a comfortable bed and a good breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for one near the lift!
Dear Kathryn C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am pleased to read that your stay with us was very comfortable and you found everything to be to your liking. I’m sorry to read of your trouble with room keys and I hope your comfortable room made up for that. I hope to welcome you back the next time you decide to explore Stratford.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stay in this hotel a lot on business and on the whole i am satisfied with it , as it is in the middle of Stratford upon Avon and walking distance (10 Mins ) to town as well as Shakespare theatre and the boat basin .I have never used the gym so cannot comment but pool is very small .The rooms have had a slight upgrade with a flat screen television ,but furniture has not been upgraded at all and looking very worn .They have spent a lot of money on reception (lot of white marble tiles) / bar area (looks like trendy london bar ) and a sort of library meeting area (which is a bit strange ) , the restaurant has also had a total make over .On one night as it was raining i decided to use the restaurant , what a let down .Firstly it was a buffet only with small area for starters /Sweets and two chefs on duty to carve the meat ,but the price was very steep £25.00 for one , which for a family would be extortionate .The staff although polite were hovering all the time and i felt that i couldnt be get out of restaurant quick enough, will not visit it again unless they start offering a proper menu .The bar prices also seemed to have been raised in line with decoration £4.30 for a pint of lager was very steep .So a lot of money spent but not much improvement in hotel above the ground floor ,pity as they could have done a lot with the money

Room Tip: Book ahead and get good rate for Bed and breakfast , go out for dinner a lot of restaurants within 1...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Pmar2UK,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoy your time with us and find everything in our hotel to your liking. I am sorry to read that you were uncomfortable in our restaurant; I will be sure to discuss your review with our team members to ensure that this does not occur again. We have a full a la carte available since the relaunch of the new restaurant and I am sorry that this was not offered to you on the night. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Proud to be British
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend and were very pleased we did. It was a wonderful experience, from booking in to checking out. The staff were great, polite, friendly, helpful, professional and this with major alterations taking place. The alterations (on the ground floor) did not seem to interfere with the normal running of the hotel and we were not disturbed by noise or any other aspect of the renovation. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable the food was of a good quality and reasonably priced, (although I personally would prefer the eggs at breakfast to be cooked to order as they congeal quickly under the heat) and it is in an excellent location just minutes from the centre of Stratford-on-Avon. I look forward to visiting again in the near future and if the new look is anything like as good as the description shown, I am sure I will not be dissapointed.

1 Thank longhair9
Dear LongHair9,

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back soon for another relaxing stay with us.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here with my wife for an Anniversary getaway 22/8/13 to 24/8/13; I actually booked the 2 night stay weeks before through Booking.com.
On arrival there were major ground floor renovations being carried out with quite a bit of noise so a quiet relaxing time it wasn't..( to be fair, there was nowhere on the Booking.com website stating this, and I did not actually view the Holiday Inn website); also, the ladies changing facilities for the gym/pool were interrupted so my wife could not change into swimwear down at the pool so we did not use it at all or any of the gym facilities.
This aside, (and the works are now finished I believe),the room was good ..we had a king room , spacious and clean; the bathroom was slightly small.
Breakfast was plentiful and varied ranging from Continental to Full English, with a coffee machine supplying different types of coffee;I would say the food was of a very good standard.
This Hotel is in a great location, just a couple of minutes walk to the centre of Stratford-upon-Avon.
The Staff were friendly.On airing my concerns about not being informed of the building works,we were given a complimentary 2 night stay which I thought was excellent of the Management.
Overall, clean, good breakfast,friendly staff and great location at a reasonable price.I would have stayed again even if I had not have been given a complimentary stay.From the works that were being carried out I would assume the Hotel has now improved since our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnLisaD
Dear JohnLisaD,

Thank you for your review.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to your liking. I’m sorry you were not aware of our refurbishment and I hope it didn’t impair your stay too much. I hope to welcome you back in the future so you can see the improvements we have made.