“Getting tired?”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Getting tired?”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here on business. Good location easy to park. Nice general facilities on the ground floor Room less so. The bath was so worn that it was showing bare metal. The heating is electric air/fan which works well but means you have listen to the noise as you try to sleep. I turned it off and used the second duvet as it was a cold night. I had a hard single bed that along with the relatively small duvet made the night experience more challenging than I would have wished. Breakfast was fine as were the staff

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Stlo01,

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us despite having an issue with heating. I will make sure to send a member of our maintenance team to check the rooms are functioning correctly. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Miguel Abellan van Kan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
London
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a big hotel offering everything you would expect from a corporate chain. The location is ideal for visiting the town being easy to find once you come off the motorway. My evening meal and breakfast were both of a good standard with helpful staff on hand should you wish for any assistance. The bar lounge, dining area and some of the bedrooms overlook the river which is a nice feature. Plenty of parking is available, I would happily recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Beenonatrip,

Thank you for writing feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking, including your meals with us. I’m pleased to read that you would stay with us again and recommend us – I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for a flying visit to a conference held there, which is what it's built for (it's too impersonal for a weekend break). Staff are very friendly and efficient. The lack of an iron in the room to run over my shirt in the morning was a surprise, as was breakfast not starting until 7am meaning I didn't get any before leaving to get the 7:22 train into Birmingham - basics for the business guest chaps.

I swear by Holiday Inn but this is League 1 standard rather than Premiership.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Colin M,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that our hotel suited your purposes and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon. When you stay with us next, please just contact reception for an iron and we’ll be more than happy to provide one.

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Through November floods and torrential rain we splashed, a happy group of 200+ mature jazzers looking forward to the 10th William Shakespeare Jazz 'n' Swing Festival at the Holiday Inn. This was a second visit for us because we'd been so knocked out by the one in 2011. But it was not a good start - the front entrance to the car park was closed for fear of the Avon flooding it. This meant a difficult backtrack and detour round the one-way system to find the rear car park, a long walk from the main entrance. Then long, discontented queues at Reception with too few book-in staff. Even longer queues in the bar for drinks and lunch and again, only 2 or 3 bar staff to cope with the large group. Not impressed, we walked into town and were late for the start of the jazz.

Could the bad start be retrieved and the upset jazzers soothed? No problem! Keith Nichol's Sounds of the Twenties hit the ground dancing, with the silken, smiling Julian Marc Stringle and the pounding John Petters. As well as appearing in ten(!) sets he was also the organiser of the jazz weekend. Then came the silent movie with music and the jazz lecture - such range and variety in these jazzfests. The audience was caught and rapt and stayed that way for the whole enchanting weekend.

Seven hours of awesome jazz on Day One and in the middle a good buffet dinner. But then queues again for the dining room, which made some people late for the Saturday night session. Who could bear to miss Pete Alan's piercing clarinet conversations with the Bateman brothers? The twinkling and quirky Colin Bray on piano? And delicious Annie Hawkins - and Heather Burt too on Sunday - as the femjazz representatives with magic dancing fingers.

Sunday was a marathon ten hours of jazz and swing, a fascinating journey which offered something for everyone, from the sheer breadth of knowledge in the jazz forum - and that was only from the audience! - to the cool Martin Litton's Joplin to Jelly. From Gospel and New Orleans to the yearning Gallic effect of Bechet and Django, swinging in from Paris. And the Sunday night climax with the individual, outstanding professionals combining in three different bands to give us unique and breathtaking performances. Triumphantly, they drove us on to a higher plane of sheer delight and blew us out of sight. A - maz - ing!!!

For the audience this was a very well organised jazzfest. Everyone had their own space to enjoy jazz as they chose. There were seats at the front for the listeners and watchers, a floor at the side for the dancers and tables to sit at for reading, eating and drinking. Perfect!

The Holiday Inn fare was fine. Someone reported having the best sausage ever in a hotel! - and an excellent full English to go with it. The dinners and wine list were fine too but, as already mentioned the endless queueing was not. Compared to the previous year, there weren't enough staff and those in the dining room were pleasant and polite but not well trained or organised. For instance, the head waiter at breakfast stood at the dining room entrance and greeted guests + ticked off their room numbers + showed people to their tables + even served tea too! All while the next people in the queue were waiting. A team of staff was needed to share these tasks and serve the large group of people and the other hotel guests in there too.

The previous year a special buffet table was set up for jazzers outside their concert room where two ladies served snack lunches and drinks throughout the session. Could we have that again this year, please? It would make the group feel special - as they deserve to be and are - and well looked after.

So, excellent jazz from superb musicians, well organised to keep the music flowing and the guests happy, good food and drink and all amazing value for money. All that needs sorting for next year is the service. And now it's back again to Mundesley in April to see whether it can possibly be as good as last year!

Room Tip: Rooms all fine, so I heard. Spent no time at all in it, so can't comment.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Georgina S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your jazz weekend and your stay at out hotel.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to be to your liking. Your comments about the service have been noted for further consideration and will be discussed at length for 2013’s Jazz Festival. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Middlewich
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hotel situation is superb for access to the town and theatre.
Stayed in accessible room, 3d floor. Clean, quiet and comfortable. Would have appreciated a proper shower rather than just a shower over the bath; getting into the bath can be tricky with restricted mobility .
Breakfasts were excellent, well up to Holiday Inn standard.
The restaurant menu we found in the room showed a good range of dishes, but when we got to the restaurant it turned out that the only choice was the carvery. All the other menu items are only available from " time to time" according to demand. It being late, we ordered steak pie and chips from the bar menu. It wasn't very good, meat was tough.
In fact, the bar area is the least attractive part of the hotel, being big and draughty, and the brown old furniture seems to date from the 1970's. But the staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Alvisowner,

Thank you for sending your comments on your stay.

I’m pleased to read that you found your rooms to be comfortable and clean and had a quiet night. I’m glad you enjoyed your breakfast and found our team members to be pleasant and helpful. I’m sorry you found our bar to be the least attractive part of our hotel but we will be going through a thorough refurbishment in the near future. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

London
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent 3 days at the Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-avon for a conference.

Room: very nice. Spacious enough, clean bathroom, comfy bed and two different types of pillows (luxury!). I can't say I had a bad sleep...
Food: restaurant and bar on-site. Breakfast was ok, depending at what time you were having it. Good variety but just above average quality. I had lunch once at the bar (which was ok, but a bit expensive). Other meals I had were through the conference I attended. Buffet lunches and "service a table for dinner". All those meals were disappointing I'm afraid to say. It felt like the guy in charge had watched too many episodes of Masterchef and was trying to reciprocate the dishes. Most of them were actually nice to the eye...shame it wasn't the same effect as far as our stomachs were concerned.
Conference: the rooms are quite nice, lots of different sizes which suits big and small groups. We never really felt like we were intruding the space of other people staying in the hotel, I think...
Staff: reception staff were professional and helpful enough. Most bar and restaurant staff seemed to be "in-training"...
Other facilities: I believe there is a gym and a pool, but didn't have time to enjoy those facilities. Hotel is very close to the town centre, so perfect location for people who want to enjoy the History of the town, I guess...

Overall, I have enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn, it's a great place for business conferences, but I would recommand to eat out...sorry...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lareynette,

Thank you for leaving a review of your conference with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and slept well, but I am sorry you found your meals disappointing. We usually receive very good reviews on our food and I am concerned as to why you found our meals to be less than satisfactory. I am very glad you found our conference facilities and our team members to be professional. I hope to welcome you back when you next have business in the city.

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast was the best thing about this hotel, very tasty. But there is no atmosphere there it feels and looks like a hospital. I wasn't keen on the service, I'm not saying it was terrible but it left a lot to be desired. There are many other hotels in the area that are cheaper but much much more lovely to stay in.

• Stayed May 2012
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear MissKT88,

I’m sorry to read that you will not be staying with us again due to you finding our hotel to be disappointing. If you would like to discuss things further, please feel free to email me direct at rm.histratford@qmh-hotels.com and I will make contact with you by return.

I any event, I hope that you change your mind and I get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Simon Dearden