“nice hotel - pity about the bar area”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hotel situation is superb for access to the town and theatre.
Stayed in accessible room, 3d floor. Clean, quiet and comfortable. Would have appreciated a proper shower rather than just a shower over the bath; getting into the bath can be tricky with restricted mobility .
Breakfasts were excellent, well up to Holiday Inn standard.
The restaurant menu we found in the room showed a good range of dishes, but when we got to the restaurant it turned out that the only choice was the carvery. All the other menu items are only available from " time to time" according to demand. It being late, we ordered steak pie and chips from the bar menu. It wasn't very good, meat was tough.
In fact, the bar area is the least attractive part of the hotel, being big and draughty, and the brown old furniture seems to date from the 1970's. But the staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Alvisowner,

Thank you for sending your comments on your stay.

I’m pleased to read that you found your rooms to be comfortable and clean and had a quiet night. I’m glad you enjoyed your breakfast and found our team members to be pleasant and helpful. I’m sorry you found our bar to be the least attractive part of our hotel but we will be going through a thorough refurbishment in the near future. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent 3 days at the Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-avon for a conference.

Room: very nice. Spacious enough, clean bathroom, comfy bed and two different types of pillows (luxury!). I can't say I had a bad sleep...
Food: restaurant and bar on-site. Breakfast was ok, depending at what time you were having it. Good variety but just above average quality. I had lunch once at the bar (which was ok, but a bit expensive). Other meals I had were through the conference I attended. Buffet lunches and "service a table for dinner". All those meals were disappointing I'm afraid to say. It felt like the guy in charge had watched too many episodes of Masterchef and was trying to reciprocate the dishes. Most of them were actually nice to the eye...shame it wasn't the same effect as far as our stomachs were concerned.
Conference: the rooms are quite nice, lots of different sizes which suits big and small groups. We never really felt like we were intruding the space of other people staying in the hotel, I think...
Staff: reception staff were professional and helpful enough. Most bar and restaurant staff seemed to be "in-training"...
Other facilities: I believe there is a gym and a pool, but didn't have time to enjoy those facilities. Hotel is very close to the town centre, so perfect location for people who want to enjoy the History of the town, I guess...

Overall, I have enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn, it's a great place for business conferences, but I would recommand to eat out...sorry...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lareynette,

Thank you for leaving a review of your conference with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and slept well, but I am sorry you found your meals disappointing. We usually receive very good reviews on our food and I am concerned as to why you found our meals to be less than satisfactory. I am very glad you found our conference facilities and our team members to be professional. I hope to welcome you back when you next have business in the city.

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast was the best thing about this hotel, very tasty. But there is no atmosphere there it feels and looks like a hospital. I wasn't keen on the service, I'm not saying it was terrible but it left a lot to be desired. There are many other hotels in the area that are cheaper but much much more lovely to stay in.

• Stayed: May 2012
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear MissKT88,

I’m sorry to read that you will not be staying with us again due to you finding our hotel to be disappointing. If you would like to discuss things further, please feel free to email me direct at rm.histratford@qmh-hotels.com and I will make contact with you by return.

I any event, I hope that you change your mind and I get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Simon Dearden
Resident Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The location of the Holiday Inn at Stratford-Upon-Avon is excellent. It's less than a 5 minute walk into the centre of the town, easy to find and there's also a good-sized car park.

Our executive room was lovely - a really nice size and though it was quite cool when we initially entered (unsurprising since it was snowing outside!), the heater on the wall was extremely efficient and soon heated the room to a nice temperature. No problems in the bathroom - the shower was lovely & warm.

Several complimentary items had been left for us in the room including bottles of water, orange juice and chocolate bars which I thought was a really nice touch.

Best of all, the room was really quiet. We slept like logs!

The lobby is a cavernous space which feels impersonal; it's certainly great for informal business meetings during the week with several sofas dotted around, but empty during the weekend.

The bar also feels impersonal. I felt sorry for the poor member of staff who was working there, she must have been freezing - it certainly didn't feel welcoming.

Fortunately, there are plenty of good restaurants & bars just 5 to 10 minutes' walk away. We ate at The Garrick (definitely recommended) and The Opposition (great food) and also enjoyed several drinks at The Windmill (excellent), the Old Thatched Tavern and The Dirty Duck - all of which are recommended.

I really enjoyed our weekend in Stratford and wouldn't hesitate recommending visiting. Friends stayed in a hotel in the centre of the town which cost them more for one night than it did us for two nights, so I strongly recommend shopping around and using a search engine to locate offers on the internet.

Room Tip: Use a search engine to find codes for 2 nights for the price of 1 or 3 nights for the price of 2 at...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear plc69,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay in the hotel.

I am pleased to read that you hugely enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I’m glad you slept well while with us and found the little touches we made to your room to be a nice addition. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I took my daughter to Stratford for the weekend and we stayed at the Holiday Inn. The room was great, nice and clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Room service came with a smile and the food was lovely. Highly recommend this hotel if you're staying in Stratford, it's right by the river, so in better weather it will be even nicer!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Greg M,

Thank you for leaving feedback on your time with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to be satisfactory. Our team members strive to deliver the best service possible and I will be sure to tell them of your kind words. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The lobby is impersonal, the staff are very good. The tables at breakfast are too close together and it seems all a bit 'school canteen'....but...the speedy effiency with which the food is replenished has to be seen to be believed. Yet again, the staff are very good.
The hotel is only a short walk from town which is a major plus.

Room Tip: If you aren't happy with your room ask to change. I found no problem.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Forkinggeorge,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you found both our team members and your breakfast to be excellent. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Stratford.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Stratford HI is ideally located for the RSC (2 mins walk) and also for exploring the beautiful town centre, with its good shops and many restaurants. Hotel staff were very welcoming and friendly. There is a large car park (£5 per day for residents), pool and fitness centre. Our room was very confortable, as was the bed - we slept really well. Breakfast was also to a high standard, with plenty of variety, and dishes were kept well-stocked. All hotel staff were polite and friendly. It's more a business hotel than a romantic or family place, but is certainly great for a night or two in central Stratford.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear CascaisPickles,

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to be great. I am glad our team members were welcoming and friendly and your meals were to a high standard. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.