“Very pleasant and helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had the recent pleasure to book in here. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were adequate for our stay.
The food was outstanding at the function and very reasonably priced.
Its position for the town is excellent and is a short walk from the banks of the river. An excellent base for visiting.
The only slight downside was the car park carries an extra charge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Peter S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts on your stay for us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to be impressive.

I’m glad you found our food to be outstanding and our team members very helpful. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Stratford.

Miguel Abellan van Kan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I booked this hotel well in advance and got a wonderful deal for three nights inbetween Christmas and New year.

When we arrived there had been some flooding of the car park, so we had to park the car quite further back from the hotel.

The hotel had recently refurbished public areas and there was a lot of space for guests to relax during their stay.

The bedrooms were very basic for a holiday Inn and in need of refurbishment which I am sure everyone is aware of. The bed was nice, big, and comfortable, but the duvet and pillows had seen better days.

Only a small thing, but we had a facecloth on arrival, but for the next two days, we were never left one, also I was surprised the room was never hoovered during our stay, however it did not upset our stay.

We enjoyed our breakfast each morning only two gripes, the staff in the restaurant did not seem at all happy, we always had to say good morning to them first, also the idea of pouring a cup of tea from a pot at the table when seated was a bad idea, as it was often warm and stewed.

There was a older gentleman in housekeeping that always seemed to be cheerful and working hard, prehaps his cheerful manner will rub off on other members of staff.

However, we did enjoy our stay and would return to the hotel if we were able to recieve a good deal again.

Room Tip: the kingsize rooms are excellent
1 Thank HappyPortsmouth
Dear HappyPortsmouth,

Thank you for commenting on your time with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to find a brilliant deal with our hotel. I am pleased to inform you that our hotel will indeed be going through a thorough update within the next few years. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here with two adults and two teenagers and found our room to be spacious and clean. the hotel is looking a little drab in the rooms however, the restaurant and common areas were fine. The kids enjoyed the free wifi down in the lobby area. The hotel's location is fantastic, right on the river Avon. The garden area is a highlight of the hotel as it is a very pretty spot to stop for a drink.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Rebecca C,

Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay.

I’m pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and found our location to be fantastic. I’m glad you were able to enjoy a drink in our garden area – is it a lovely place to relax. I hope to welcome you all back to the hotel in the near future.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked a night using club points and as a Platinum member we were upgraded to an executive room which was very comfortable. All the staff were very helpful and made our stay a pleasure. It definitely pays to visit places off season to enjoy really good hospitality. The food was very good, the pool was warm (although the changing area was cold!!) and we had a very relaxing stay in the heart of Stratford.

Dear PickyfromYorkshire,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review of your stay.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay across the board and found our location to be perfect for your needs. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Having stayed at what is currently the Holiday Inn, Stratford on Avon, over many years and through a variety of incarnations, I can say without doubt that it has reached an umprecedented low point and I will never stay here again until the management, whoever they are, at least replace the filthy carpets in the guest rooms, restore some of the basic conveniences such as mini-bars and room safes, light the rooms adequately and stop charging an outrageous £5 per hour for Wi-fi access which must be used in one fell swoop and cannot be segmented through a 24-hour stay.

The feeling that every service is being reduced to meet some financial goal is reinforced by the fact that, at the busiest time on a weekend morning, only one of the two breakfast stations was open, tended by one harrassed server, and that guests were standing on line at the buffet awaiting renewal not just of eggs and baked beans but even of bread rolls (and the latter were not renewed at all a full 40 minutes before the breakfast period finished). The cheeses were pre-portioned and plastic wrapped, used dishes stayed on tables until the few dining room staff noticed them.

To add to these insults, use of the ATM to withdraw some cash carries a basic charge of £1.99 whatever the sum withdrawn. I do have praise for the hard-working and pleasant staff. But a four-star designation for this dump is ridiculous. Two would be quite adequate. [Don't ask about the pillows – ugh!]

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear gdavidp,

Thank you for reviewing your stay.

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed by your stay.
We have a variety of packages for WiFi access ranging from 1 hour to 48 hours and the longer the duration the more economical it becomes.

Should you require the use of a safe or mini bar rather than the option of an upgrade to an executive room is possible (although subject to availability as providing these in a standard room is not a Holiday Inn brand standard); we will put a fridge in your room if requested and we would be very happy to provide this free of charge.

I am very sorry to read that you found the breakfast operation less than satisfactory and we have noted your comments. We do not tend to get negative comments regarding our breakfast operation as many reviews highlight, but we have not got it right on this occasion.

I am pleased to read however that our team members impressed you.

Worcester UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Having stayed in Stratford last year at the same time, I was aware of what Stratford had to offer. I decided to try a different hotel. I chose to pay extra for an executive room, as it was my husband's birthday. I was glad I had, as the extras that were in this room made a big difference to the enjoyment of the weekend. The bed was extra large, which gave more room to spread ourselves. There was a collection in the bathroom of items we might find useful, such as a sewing kit. I found the lit magnified mirror useful, as was the showerhead at the side of the bath. ( There was also a shower for a stand up shower ). I was impressed by the helpfullness of the staff. When items were requested from the reception staff, they were brought up promptly, and the blanket brought was very nice and cosy. ( I had the start of a winter cold ). When we arrived for breakfast on the first morning, we found the dining room to be very busy, but we were soon found a seat, and we noticed how efficiently the tables were cleared and the food replenished. It was close to the town, only five minutes and we were there. Also the river, boats, swans and theatre were close by.
My only disappointment was the view. I had hoped to have a view of the river, but I could only see it in the distance. Dean, the member of staff who took our luggage to the room for us, helpfully took us and showed us a room with a slightly better view, but the room was not so good.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth the money, but maybe only for special occassions.
Dear MaggieWorcesterUK,

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and impressed by the efficiency of our team members. I am pleased our location was everything you were looking for but I’m sorry you weren’t able to experience our stunning views. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had an image of 'travel lodge' style accommodation but was very much mistaken. We were staying here with another couple to mainly use as a base to shop and eat/drink out and it exceeded my expectations The hotel was modern and welcoming, the lobby and bar has lots of comfortable seating areas where we spent a few hours nibbling and drinking before and after our night out. The staff were all friendly and very helpful when we couldn't use our room key (our fault!).
Our bedroom was a 'standard' but was very spacious, comfortable and modern and actually better than some Hiltons i've stayed in recently. No view but we weren't bothered by it.
The location is fantastic with a 2 min walk to the shops and resturaunts in town. The outdoor area looked nice, gardens near the river and we are thinking of going back in spring/summer. We didn't get chance to use the leisure facilities but they all looked in good condition.
Breakfast was buffet, unhurried and with plenty of choice even when we arrived 10 mins before it closed.
Car parking free too.

Dear shazbatzannie,

Thank you for writing feedback about your stay.

I’m very pleased to read that you were impressed by our hotel and found it to be comfortable and our team members friendly. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast with us and found our location to be perfect for your needs. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you have a shopping spree!