“Fabulous weekend retreat”

Review of The Ling Lodges

A view of the separate Wet Room and Changing Rooms.
Front view of The Lodges, totally private seating area, huge Patio and BBQ, and large Gardens.. The Ling Lodges on the left, the Indoor Pool through the Patio doors on the right...
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
A view of the separate Wet Room and Changing Rooms.
The Dining and kitchen area with large extending Table to seat 10.
A comfortable place to sit, put your feet up and watch the large Flatscreen Telly
Beautifully furnished throughout....another sitting area to relax, read, watch TV..
A gorgeous Bedroom - this with a lovely clean modern en suite off complete with power shower.
Another of the three Bedrooms. This Room a Family Room with two single Beds and bunk beds also.
Another of the three stylish Bedrooms with en suite Bathroom and countryside views.
The Lodges are nestled in beautiful country Gardens.
Beautifully tended Gardens....
and  perhaps relax with a good Book and a Glass of wine.
Local wildlife pop in and out!
Large Private Gardens so space to relax...walk...perhaps a game of Football or Frisbee..
Fabulous Holiday Sunsets right outside your Bedroom windows.
Book a Limo and take your group to Dinner in style....
or all stay in and cook Dinner at The Lodge.
Some lovely local places to visit.
You are bound to see the Deer roaming too....
The Lodges are just through the arch on the right.
Just over the garden fence....our neighbours!
Some of our amazing local wildlife...
If you don't fancy eating out have a swim and a BBQ...
After a BBQ the night before perhaps a day out Shopping in Stratford or Bicester.
Lots of wonderful Shops to choose from!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Fran W
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic property and pool area, difficult communications with owner"”
Reviewed June 20, 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

I stayed in Ling Lodges for a Hen Do and overall we had a great stay. The property is perfect for a small-medium sized group and the pool was a fantastic facility to have for the weekend. The property was very clean and everything was in good condition too, with great facilities (except that the wifi doesn't work). It would have been nice to have towels included, but no huge inconvenience. Location is great - just 15 minutes drive to Stratford and nestled in some beautiful countryside with fields of horses and sheep surrounding the property. We fit 10 in very comfortably, and the entertaining space / dining areas were a good size for the group.

The Ling Lodge sits next door to the owners house, and has it's own patio outside with a large table where we enjoyed drinks and snacks. The garden areas seen on photos 10-14 are the owner's areas / directly in front of their house, and didn't feel like part of the Ling Lodge grounds, and we weren't comfortable using them for this reason. However, the owner was kind enough to open the gate that runs between the patio and grass (as seen in photo 2) so that we could use the garden for an afternoon tea which we really appreciated.

We had a great stay, and really enjoyed the property - which we told the owner after leaving. However, unfortunately I would not book here again due to being made to feel very uncomfortable via e mail exchanges from the owner before arrival. We had tried to arrange slightly earlier check in times, and slightly later check out times (those provided are check in after 5pm and check out by 10am), however it became apparent that due to the owners living in another town and arrangements of cleaners, this would not be possible without a sizeable fee. We were a little surprised by the reasons behind this inflexibility, as most places I've ever stayed are usually pretty flexible when it comes to check in / out however I understand that this is the right of the owner, especially for private properties.

What we were taken aback by, was the unpleasant tone and attitude that we received via e mail from the owner when trying to make these arrangements. During a few e mail exchanges, we were made to feel as if we were hugely inconveniencing them, and that we were being unreasonable in asking for anything outside of what was on the website. I fully appreciate the owner's right to refuse additional requests, but as a customer, I do not expect to receive such an unpleasant tone via e mail, which for us, took away from the enjoyment of the few days running up to our stay. Based on a couple of previous owner responses to reviews with similar feedback, I expect that I will receive a similar response to this review. However, I would hope that it is received as some feedback that if taken on board, could make a perfect property somewhere that I would return to and recommend to friends.

Traveling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jun 20, 2016
Thank you for your Review. We are delighted that you all enjoyed the Property so much and that you all had such a fantastic time here. We are always delighted to hear when people consider the Property to be clean, in good condition and with great facilities and it makes all of our efforts worthwhile.
We were sorry that on this occasion we were unable to accommodate your Group leaving later but as I explained to you we had a commitment that Sunday lunch time that we simply could not miss otherwise Jan and I would have been delighted to let you stay a little later later.
Kindest
Lo_JEngla...
England, UK
“Fabulous weekend retreat”
Reviewed May 23, 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Stayed at the Lodge for a weekend with a group of friends for a girly weekend away. David and Jan left us a welcome food package which was a lovely surprise and showed us around on check-in. They then gave us privacy for the weekend to enjoy the facilities at our leisure. Excellent location with views of fields including the sheep and horses close by. Swimming pool was a bonus for us and some of the group enjoyed a game of volleyball in the pool with the inflatables provided. The accommodation is well appointed and very clean on arrival. As we were eating in the lodge for some of our meals I was concerned there might not be enough dinnerware and pots and pans but there was plenty of everything - even some cleaning products! A really great weekend in a perfect setting and not too far from Stratford centre. The only negative point I can say is the check out time of 10am is too early as we would have loved to stay longer and use the pool a bit more on the Sunday morning! But I guess that just means we need to stay longer next time... Thank you for a lovely weekend.

Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
May 23, 2016
Thank you very much indeed for your lovely Review. We are delighted that you all had such a great time and enjoyed yourselves so much. We are so very lucky that our Lodge is in such a fantastic location and many of our Guests comment that they really don't want to leave and go Home! We look forward to your planned return visit. Have a fabulous Summer.
Kindest
David & Jan
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Traveling group: Large Group
Jan 5, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to do a Review. We are very pleased that you all had such a good time with us here at the Lodge. It is always great to hear that people enjoy the Swimmimg Pool so much!
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Your age range 50-64
Jan 3, 2016
Thank,you very much for taking the time to write your Review. We are delighted that you all had such an enjoyable stay at Ling Lodges and you all clearly enjoyed the Pool. It does make for a very special Holiday to be able to jump into a warm Swimming Pool in the middle of December! Have a fantastic 2016!
Kindest David & Jan.
Simon D
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed January 2, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Leading up to our stay I experienced a number of replies from the owners that made me feel apprehensive about the stay. I am more than happy to go into more detail if requested. Be careful on what you pay for. I increased the occupancy from 6 to 9 people for 1 day and was charged an extra £200.

I have attached my email to this review following the stay. It is fair to say I had a very polite response that they would take the feedback into account for future guests. You judge yourself if you feel I should have received a more in-depth response.

Thanks David.
Whilst I'm waiting for my plane to leave I have sometime to send to you my feedback based on my experience.

First to say is the context of getting the family together from all parts of the U.K. is never easy. We only do this once a year and it is normally during the week before Xmas. For the past 5 years I've been renting a cottage in Gloucester. This year was the first time we have 'strayed' from the normal routine.

Having read the previous reviews I am not sure how you will respond to this because the tone and manner you come back with if someone offers anything constructive is handled in a curt and combative way. I must say this was also my experience leading up to the stay. Having asked for a early check in and then being handled in the manner I was is regretful. I appreciate the logistics from your side but maybe you should stick to rules and therefore your potential guests won't feel they've suggested something wrong by making a polite request. Being sent excerpts from the website doesn't kick off the stay in the manner I certainly would have preferred. I didn't receive your email until I landed so had no idea of the plan, which was not ideal. This could have been avoided.

The second issue is price and what I paid for in terms of £200 for three people to stay overnight. This was a last minute addition and therefore wasn't detailed in the original request because I didn't know my sister could have the time off. Your explanation for the way this amount was determined is tenuous. If it was wear and tear as you suggested, you could have asked for a token amount to cover the stay. Your cottage is the first I've had to pay extra based on people staying within the occupancy detailed. I do find this disappointing. At the end of the day you can do what you want but I felt, considering the money we were paying already, this wasn't fair. Based on what was on offer, I certainly do not feel we had value for money.

The swimming pool was a major factor for us to change our normal arrangements. This was great...however both me and my youngster son had to go to the doctors suffering from eye irritations that was more than likely caused by the chlorine levels. I see you've had this feedback before. Maybe you could consider your routine on how this is maintained and tested. I'm no expert but I and my son was caused with significant discomfort.

There was no wifi. It was showing connected but the £200 data charges that experienced indicates it wasn't working. We all had to use mobile data. This was something I really wanted to avoid. And please don't say it was and its just slow. On the check out day, when I realised it wasn't working, I tried to connect again and it still didn't work.

Other issues:
No towels provided. I know you detailed this but for the cost...really...this isn't something you could have offered without an extra charge?

Instruction to recycle your own rubbish. I've never seen this before.

One electronic access to the gate provided for cars. This was problematic for us as we had three cars between us.

The information pack was dated and could do with a refresh.

I hope the above is useful. I am basing the above on the cost, value for money and clearly health issue regarding the swimming pool.

Regards, Simon

Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jan 2, 2016
Simon,
Thank you for your review. It is almost as long as each of the many emails that you sent to us prior to your stay to try and adjust everything about our accommodation. It was clear to us before you even arrived that we would get the Review that we have received here.......
Future Guests, please read all of the other Reviews too that we have received over many many years and make your own minds up - and we hope to welcome you warmly as we do all of our Guests.
Regards
EmilyJF19...
Chester, United Kingdom
“A perfect Family mini break for a special occasion”
Reviewed November 25, 2015 for a stay in November 2015

I have only recently returned from a lovely 3 night stay with my two young daughters, my parents and my brother along with his wife and two children. We all came together to celebrate a weekend of family birthday's including a 70th. I cannot rate this lodge highly enough, the whole planning of our weekend was seamless and David and Jan are so incredibly helpful and hospitable. The lodges are beautifully presented to create a real home from home and we were made to feel relaxed and at ease from the moment we arrived. The pool was a real hit with all of us but especially the children who were keen to jump in from the moment they woke up. I can honestly say you have given us all a perfect weekend away and helped create a very memorable time for what was a very special occasion.... so thank you. Without a doubt we will book to come back and l am recommending you to so many people. Once again, a huge thank you.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The lodge and all the facilities
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Nov 25, 2015
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely Review. We are always delighted when Families and Friends enjoy their time staying here at The Lodge. The Swiimming Pool is always a massive hit with everyone who stays here and we are exceptionally happy that it gets plenty of use!
mary m
“Memorable Weekend Away”
Reviewed October 26, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

We booked the property for a 60TH birthday family get together. Our four children, partners and 4 grandchildren.The grandchildren ages ranged from 10 months to 4 years. 13 people in total. We had an excellent time and David and Jan made us feel very welcome. They allowed us extended pool use on arrival and over the weekend to cater for very excited grandchildren. We were sad to leave and the grandchildren want to go back as soon as they can.
All the facilities made it feel lke home from home, We even barbecued on the Sunday!
Great location only 20 minutes drive from home and we are looking forward to returning.
Thanks to Jan and David Coco and Lola.

Oct 27, 2015
We are delighted that you all had such an enjoyable stay here at The Lodge. Your Grandchildren clearly loved the Pool....and Coco & Lola our dogs too! Family time away is important and we were delighted that all went so well for your time away. A BBQ in October is always fun too!!
David & Jan.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing