“Great hotel, fab location”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Rooms have been remodeled with newer furniture. Quaint, charming, great location. Be sure to pack your airport express router for wireless Internet. Friendly, efficient staff. Could be a little more generous on towels,washcloths would be my only complaint. Close to all the sights, restaurants, bus stops and train stations in Stratford. Highly recommend for a family stay. Windows open in the rooms which is very nice for hotels in Europe

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,528)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I purchased a Spa day from last minute.com - we had a great day. The light lunch was generous, the changing rooms and general facilities clean and tidy. There was a separate relaxation lounge to chill out in and have lunch so you were tucked away privately away from the other hotel guests whilst wandering around in your bathrobe and swimsuit. The treatment was completed in relaxed luxurious surroundings and well executed. Best of all the customer service was top notch.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife & I needed a hotel for the night in Stratford upon Avon for the night of 4th Jan 2013 - I booked the above hotel based on its reviews and its handiness to the Town centre. We arrives alate at gone 23.00 hrs and check in was quite acceptable considering the time. We then had a long walk from one end of the Hotel to the other. On reaching the room, I can only class it as outdated and tired, the room was icy cold and neither the Radiator or the Towel Rail in the bathroom worked. On getting into the hard uncomfortable bed I noticed a thermostat on the wall and managed to turn on the Hot Air Heating which was so noisy it made it impossible to sleep.

At 05.00 we decided to give up, pack our bag and head home. I will never stay in a Macdonald Hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Golfer768
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Taking dogs to hotels usually means poor quality room. Not so here, good quality room with easy access to garden, great on site New Year's eve gala ball, no on-site fireworks so chilled out dog
Stayed 5 days, best food I have been served for a long time - rate the food as excellent
Service of food during the celebrations very well planned and executed - including my request for a replacement course
Central location, lots to do/see, we never moved the car
Will be going back for more

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L-PS030655
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Lovely stay, spa and pool great, gym a little light on weights etc, but plenty of aerobic stuff. Stayed in exec suite in old prt. Room description said garden view. Not so. It's the roof with the kitchen extraction right beside bedroom window, so a dull roar all day up to midnight and starts again at 6am. However it's a very low bass sound so may not affect your sleep

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Niall0181
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here with a friend for new years eve on a din bed and breakfast deal for £192. Absolutely amazing value for money. We had an Executive Suite in the Manor with a separate living area and single bedroom as well as a lovely bathroom and huge double bed with flat screen TVs and small fridge.
Service was outstanding from all the staff who were working that night and at breakfast. We had dinner in the main restaurant and the food was truly 5 star. We have stayed in hotels all over the world but this was lovely and very tasty. Great choice of food and wines. The breakfast was also great with hot food cooked to order.
The ONLY complaint was that the towel rail had no 'on' button to keep towels warm/dry and there was no extractor fan so the room steamed up quickly and you could not then use the bathroom mirror. But there was an ironing board, slippers, bath robes, tea set and water provided. All very nice. Would definitely recommend it again. The spa was full for treatments and c losed early for new year so we booked them in the Menzies Welcombe hotel about 5km away on the morning we checked out - worth every penny. Full body massages and facials lasting an hour each for £110. The best massage I have ever had from Grace.
Sauna and steam room and pool at the Alveston all lovely - dont know what the person was talking about who said the sauna was a cupboard - it was full size and fine...
Go and enjoy.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the old part of the Manor otherwise you might as well be in a travel lodge by the lo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had the best welcome AND departure in the history of hotel welcomes and departures.Thank you.
Like all meetings, first impressions always count,therefore very important for good training at Reception.

We found our room to be clean with an extra large very comfortable bed and really good quality bed linen,good thick bath towels and no mould round the bath.There was a welcome bottle of spring water waiting in the room and a user friendly TV.

We decided just to have a lightish bar meal (because we had a large lunch) so had a chicken curry in the bar attended by John a very able and friendly guy.He recommended a bottle of red wine which although was very nice was more expensive than our meals but I still liked him......good old John.

We had a great nights sleep and in the morning made our way to a fab cooked breakfast.The service was a little slow but the hotel was rather busy.

When I paid the bill I was told I could keep the car in the car park as long as I needed and the lady on reception gave me a bottle of water and some fancy biscuits.How nice was that for a departure ? I would say top marks

We had a lovely nights stay 27th Dec '12 for a leisurely couple of days to learn a bit more about this Shakespeare bloke who I disliked intensely at school but has grown on me this last few days.Could be because the hotel and staff were so agreeable.

The Alveston is very convenient for shopping and for visiting the Shakespeare tourist sites.

I'm pleased I chose The Alveston Manor and would stay here again if needed to find out even more about this Shakespeare bloke.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple