My partner and I stayed at the Welcombe Menzies Stratford hotel on the 17th February for two nights taking advantage of their amazing two night special offer with breakfast included on both mornings and dinner on the first night for £184 per couple.
Upon arrival to the hotel you drive up past the golf course surrounded by greenery. The car park has an electronic barrier and only people staying in the hotel or using the spa have reason to be there so you feel secure parking there. The outside of the hotel is gorgeous and you really feel the grandeur of the house immediately. The spa is at the far end of the car park and is very modern and you can tell a lot of money has been spent.
We went into reception and was welcomed warmly by Marek who is extremely smart, well spoken and immediately made you feel at home. Check in was quick, efficient and if you require assistance with your bags they are only too happy to assist you. As we are only 29 years old and with one bag we didn't feel the need so we carried our own. Marek gave guidance on facilities available within the hotel and where they can be located and checked our dinner reservation for us as well which was appreciated. We collected a selection of leaflets of local attractions and parks and left to go to our room guided by Marek. Our package came with a standard room but the hotel kindly upgraded us to a superior suite room in honour of us celebrating our 10 year anniversary with them which was a lovely surprise.
Entering the room I was quite simply blown away by the amount of space, the lovely decoration, stunning fireplace and sumptuous views overlooking the gardens. The bathroom was large with a lovely long bath which is a right treat for me as I am 6ft 6. It also had a shower and two basins with two mirrors saving a need to queue for the sink. The wardrobe was massive and of solid wood in keeping with the decor. A massive painting hung over the fireplace of someone I am sure was very rich back in the day also.
Constructive Criticism of the Room - I would change the television to a flat screen LCD which I feel in this modern day would add to the class of the room and not take away. It would best be situated over the fireplace in place of the painting which would be perfect for night time snuggles whilst watching some tv in the room. I would get rid of the wooden crate table under the television which looks out of place with the otherwise luxurious furnishings. In the top rooms a spa bath would be an added treat of course as well.
There are three main sitting areas one at the bottom of the main house stairs with a sofa and armchair. There is also a large wood panelled lounge with a glorious fireplace which is so relaxing to chill out and be served drinks by the friendly waiters. Then you have the Treveleyan (mispelt probably) Bar with luxurious armchairs and sofas. We were welcomed by Tom on our first night who is a really nice lad dressed very smartly and continuously on the go collecting glasses and providing more to the guests relaxing there. On our second night we had Chad serving us who again is extremely smart, polite and very well spoken. We had a lovely conversation with both Chad and Tom and nothing was too much bother for them. I was craving some chocolate which the hotel doesn't sell (which it should by the way lol). Tom kindly arranged to get some for us which was much appreciated.
The meal was lovely and of the standard you expect from this quality hotel. My personal opinion is that there should be an option for the guest who has a hearty appetite which can be served whilst still maintaining presentation and class. Only as an option though because I am sure many guests fully appreciate the Haute cuisine style.
I felt the evenings could be enhanced with a singer or someone playing on the grand piano which would provide entertainment for the guests in the sitting areas or the bar. Perhaps complimentary playing cards or board games such as Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit would be a bonus.
The spa facilities are top notch and leave nothing to be desired. The pool is lovely and warm and they provide foot spas and a jacuzzi and several relaxation rooms on top of the many spa treatments they have on offer. There is also an outdoor jacuzzi with power jets which for us was the highlight of the trip.
Just literally 5 minutes down the road you have Stratford upon avon which is a gorgeous place to visit with boat trips, shops, pubs and restaurants available. There is a butterfly farm nearby and many other attractions one of which is Warwick Castle which we visited and was amazed at the beauty of the castle and the fabulous staff who really brought it to life for us. A great visit which I heartily recommend.
Overall we had an amazing time and despite the few changes I have put forward as a personal recommendation I feel I can't knock any points off because I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and left feeling relaxed and happy with my time spent there therefore I feel it deserves the marking I have given. The friendliness of the staff really makes this hotel and I commend them for their efforts and assure them they are well received.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe is a calendar country house located on the edge of Stratford-upon-Avon and the beautiful Cotswolds. It's a calendar house because it has 7 entrances, 12 fireplaces, 52 chimneys and 365 windows. Perfectly located within walking distance of Stratford-upon-Avon yet not far from the A46 and M40 motorway, this oasis has ample free parking on site. There's also 78 comfy bedrooms and 7 spacious apartments for groups of friends looking for a relaxing retreat, a wonderful spa with hydropool, an 18-hole championship golf course and acres of landscaped gardens which make for picture perfect wedding memories. Of course, if indulgence is on the menu, you can't go wrong with the award-winning menu, a classic combination of great British produce and seasonal specialities crafted with charm and innovation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel And Golf Course
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel Course
- Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe Stratford-Upon-Avon, England