“Treated like a King and loved every minute of it!!!”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Welcombe Menzies Stratford hotel on the 17th February for two nights taking advantage of their amazing two night special offer with breakfast included on both mornings and dinner on the first night for £184 per couple.

Upon arrival to the hotel you drive up past the golf course surrounded by greenery. The car park has an electronic barrier and only people staying in the hotel or using the spa have reason to be there so you feel secure parking there. The outside of the hotel is gorgeous and you really feel the grandeur of the house immediately. The spa is at the far end of the car park and is very modern and you can tell a lot of money has been spent.

We went into reception and was welcomed warmly by Marek who is extremely smart, well spoken and immediately made you feel at home. Check in was quick, efficient and if you require assistance with your bags they are only too happy to assist you. As we are only 29 years old and with one bag we didn't feel the need so we carried our own. Marek gave guidance on facilities available within the hotel and where they can be located and checked our dinner reservation for us as well which was appreciated. We collected a selection of leaflets of local attractions and parks and left to go to our room guided by Marek. Our package came with a standard room but the hotel kindly upgraded us to a superior suite room in honour of us celebrating our 10 year anniversary with them which was a lovely surprise.

Entering the room I was quite simply blown away by the amount of space, the lovely decoration, stunning fireplace and sumptuous views overlooking the gardens. The bathroom was large with a lovely long bath which is a right treat for me as I am 6ft 6. It also had a shower and two basins with two mirrors saving a need to queue for the sink. The wardrobe was massive and of solid wood in keeping with the decor. A massive painting hung over the fireplace of someone I am sure was very rich back in the day also.

Constructive Criticism of the Room - I would change the television to a flat screen LCD which I feel in this modern day would add to the class of the room and not take away. It would best be situated over the fireplace in place of the painting which would be perfect for night time snuggles whilst watching some tv in the room. I would get rid of the wooden crate table under the television which looks out of place with the otherwise luxurious furnishings. In the top rooms a spa bath would be an added treat of course as well.

There are three main sitting areas one at the bottom of the main house stairs with a sofa and armchair. There is also a large wood panelled lounge with a glorious fireplace which is so relaxing to chill out and be served drinks by the friendly waiters. Then you have the Treveleyan (mispelt probably) Bar with luxurious armchairs and sofas. We were welcomed by Tom on our first night who is a really nice lad dressed very smartly and continuously on the go collecting glasses and providing more to the guests relaxing there. On our second night we had Chad serving us who again is extremely smart, polite and very well spoken. We had a lovely conversation with both Chad and Tom and nothing was too much bother for them. I was craving some chocolate which the hotel doesn't sell (which it should by the way lol). Tom kindly arranged to get some for us which was much appreciated.

The meal was lovely and of the standard you expect from this quality hotel. My personal opinion is that there should be an option for the guest who has a hearty appetite which can be served whilst still maintaining presentation and class. Only as an option though because I am sure many guests fully appreciate the Haute cuisine style.

I felt the evenings could be enhanced with a singer or someone playing on the grand piano which would provide entertainment for the guests in the sitting areas or the bar. Perhaps complimentary playing cards or board games such as Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit would be a bonus.

The spa facilities are top notch and leave nothing to be desired. The pool is lovely and warm and they provide foot spas and a jacuzzi and several relaxation rooms on top of the many spa treatments they have on offer. There is also an outdoor jacuzzi with power jets which for us was the highlight of the trip.

Just literally 5 minutes down the road you have Stratford upon avon which is a gorgeous place to visit with boat trips, shops, pubs and restaurants available. There is a butterfly farm nearby and many other attractions one of which is Warwick Castle which we visited and was amazed at the beauty of the castle and the fabulous staff who really brought it to life for us. A great visit which I heartily recommend.

Overall we had an amazing time and despite the few changes I have put forward as a personal recommendation I feel I can't knock any points off because I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and left feeling relaxed and happy with my time spent there therefore I feel it deserves the marking I have given. The friendliness of the staff really makes this hotel and I commend them for their efforts and assure them they are well received.

Dave

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DaveyBoi_Uk
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Dave thank you very much for the complimentary review and also for the constructive comments , we are actually installing flat screen tv's / iMacs ( as described in a previous review ) and these will be in every room as we gradually refurbish the whole hotel this year. I will of course pass on your kind comments to Marek , Tom and Chad who obviously helped you enjoy your stay. Games are actually available at reception but we obviously haven't made that clear - so apologies for that.
Do hope you'll return soon
Greg Fehler

Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed February 19, 2011

2nd visit to hotel,1st last march. Previous visit was in room in attic of old building which was fine,this time put in room on grnd floor of garden wing and WOW. The room looked like we were the 1st to stay (apparently it was a couple of weeks old). Very fresh modern decor furniture and lighting but biggest surprise was brand new apple mac TV/computer system sitting on desk! Service and food in restaurant which was included in our deal was excellent. Best experience I've ever had in a leisure centre, very relaxing. All in all very impressed

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gunnfire

Thank you very much for the complimentary review and glad you liked the iMac - we are slowly undergoing a full refurbishment throughout the hotel and every bedroom is getting the iMac/TV system.
Glad you also enjoyed the Spa , we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed January 8, 2011

Just got back from an overnight stay at this hotel and feel totally relaxed. The inclusive evening meal option was such value for money. The food and service were excellent as was the welcome to the hotel and the check out.

The spa facilities were a bonus as were the wonderful views from our room of this amazing building.

I have never written a review before but I imagine the other mostly negative reviews were written by proffessional complainers after something for nothing. I am so pleased the management have defended themseves. We are looking forward to staying at the hotel again in the Spring.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Thank you very much for your very complimentary review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Welcombe.
I am pleased you are returning and I hope you have an equally enjoyable time with us again in the Spring - we're nearly there as the snowdrops are out and we're looking forward to seeing the daffodils up the drive.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

My Fiance and i have just returned from a one night stay. Our first impression of the hotel was great as was the service received from the receptionist. The spa was lovely, one of the best i have been to. The hotel however could do with a little TLC in places. Our room was number 132 on the second floor. We couldn't believe how big the room was! We had a four poster bed which was nice although on closer inspection of the room it could do with a lick on paint in places, which wouldn't take alot.
We dined in the restaurant and the food was delicious but i wasn't happy that we had to wait 45 minutes for a drink. We did mention this to the waiter and he was apologetic.
The buffet breakfast was also very nice.
We would return to this hotel as we got a very good offer, the spa is definitely the best bit about the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and constructive comments , we have now started our refurbishment programme and room 132 will be included so please do return as the rooms we have done so far are amazing especially with the iMac system we're installing.
Thank you also for the favourable comments regarding the Spa this facility never fails to give the WOW factor to all our guests.

Reviewed December 29, 2010

we stayed here and were looking forward to a nice evening of fine food and drink.on arrival we were told the restaurant was fully booked but we could eat at the bar or lounge or via room service. we thought maybe if we asked nicely they may squeeze us inat any time we was not fussy! we were told the restaurant was only for people who had booked DB&B, we had only B&B. wish i had known! never felt comfortable eating off the big chairs and the table low down. so we had to go into the town and eat very dissapointed.my wife suggested our room but went to the phone by the toilet and it was not working!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Mr Westwood thank you for your comments regarding room 6's telephone in the bathroom , this has now been rectified.
With reference to your Laterooms booking , we do offer a discounted Dinner bed & breakfast package which as you can tell from your experience is very popular. The hotel was full on the night you stayed (28th Dec) and the sheer number of dinner inclusive guests did put us under a lot of pressure - I do apologise that we could not cater for you in the restaurant on this occasion.
Greg

Reviewed December 22, 2010

arriving at the hotel along a long driveway between the golf course then first impression from outside is very impressive, this is a very beautiful building on the out side untill you get inside, as the building is old you don.t expect everything to be pristine, we were given a very warm greeting and excellent check inn, although sent to wrong end of building for our rooms at first we thought we where in for great rooms as we had been upgraded, on returning to the desk we were then pointed in the other direction this then felt like you going into servants qaurters we were given rooms 101 and 103 our dissappointment when we opened the doors was unreal and we all said if these were upgraded rooms what would standard have been like, 101 has a complete mismatch of furniture and the bed wasn,nt even joined together at base becauase clip was completely broken also not even valance sheet so all this was clearly visable, the bathroom was one of the worst i have ever seen in any hotel it looked as if total need of refurb, 103 our friends room although having matching funiture and bed fully made smelt very musty and had a lady bird infestation and cracked window panes in bathroom as well as temperental electrics in bathroom, our meal inresturant in eve was lovely and likewise a great breakfast, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, we could see clearly the hotel was very empty and surely they must have better rooms available we wonder why management do not allocate you the best they can so you can leave with great memories with intention probaly to return, but instead we all thought it has to be the worst hotel we have stayed in being very shabby and well worn and would think twice about returning which is something we have done on many occasions as we take several breas a year

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank tracyserena25
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2010

I do apologise for the fact that you sent in the wrong direction for your bedrooms , I know this was done by a new member of the team and he was extremely sorry. The bedrooms in the Trevelyan Wing are traditional bedrooms and classified as 'executive ' rooms - clearly there are a number of better upgrades.
Rooms 101 and 103 are being refurbished in 2011 but are very large traditional country house bedrooms and I am sorry you did not like them - I know that one couple did actually move when we gave them a complimentary upgrade - I trust they enjoyed this , just a shame it wasn't mentioned in your review.
Thank you for your complimentary comments regarding the enjoyable dinner and breakfast as well as the friendly and welcoming staff - I was therefore somewhat surprised at the very low score. Please try us again in 2011 when the bedrooms mentioned will have been refurbed.

Reviewed December 8, 2010

We stayed overnight on dinner bed and breakfast basis and were overall very happy with the standards and value of the break. We arrived on a very cold and icy evening and it was a considerable boost to be welcomed by a huge open fire in the lounge. We had a warming drink in the Trevelyan bar and the young barman was excellent in both his manner and professionalism. In fact throughout our stay the service proved to be excellent and the young French lady who was in charge of the restaurant service was a model of professionalism and charm, whilst both our waiters were good.

We enjoyed the food. which had very much an English flavour to it and the set meal had a good range of choices and one could mix and match with the a la carte. A good way from Michelin star level but perfectly acceptable and complemented by a reasonable wine list and a dining room with a pleasant ambience.

Probably the most disappointing aspect of the stay was our room (number 11 on the ground floor). We had paid extra for an Executive room but this room had no particular style and was a little dingy and utilitarian. After saying this we both slept extremely well so obviously the bed was comfortable but it just needed a bit of pizazz and a feel that one was being pampered rather than being given a fairly boring ambience.

Overall did we enjoy our stay .... yes. Was the log fire a wonderful feature .... yes. Was the ambience that of a huge baronial establishment ....yes and was the service helpful and professional .... yes. Equally was it excellent value, given all of the preceding features ....... yes, as we have paid a considerable amount more for a less enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank StAlbansWilbo
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2010

Thank you for your kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the log fire in the lounge.
Bedroom 11 is one of our newer rooms and probably doesn't have the character of some of the older ones but during the refurb next yesr we will be ensuring that all the older rooms do keep that country house character.
I have of course passed on you kind comments to Elizabeth and the restaurant team.