“Couldn't fault it !”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Oxford
“Couldn't fault it !”
Reviewed April 30, 2009

The hotel is lovely and the views are amazing ! We had a lovely room with a separate lounge - I love the walkin showers that you don't get in modern hotels. The food and service were very good , bar prices are more expensive than most but when you have a drink on their terrace looking out over the gardens and the golf course it is worth it.
We had a great 2 nights - thoroughly relaxing - saving up to go again as my wife says its the best Spa she's ever been to.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Korean first
Glasgow
Reviewed April 18, 2009

The setting of the hotel is fabulous. Grounds beautifully kept. Our room was fabulous and very clean. A few maintenance issues (3 bulbs blown) let it down. The Spa is fabulous and well worth a visit.
We had a drink in the first night in the bar before we went through for dinner. Dinner was gorgeous. The service here was the best in the hotel. When we went through for a coffee in the lounge after dinner it was disatrous. The tables hadn't been cleared since we had gone through to the dining room (2 hours previous) and our glasses were still on one of the tables. They were still there when I went to bed after 5 hours! I had a cappachino which was excellent. The Ameretto was either off or Cointreau had been mixed into it. When I mentioned this the barman told me 'If its off don't drink it!). Breakfast wasn't great either. The food was very cold. Mainly due to the dishes they were served in as they had to be kept closed to keep the food warm and the other guests had left them open. I ordered porridge as the buffet was cold and after 30mins it still hadn't arrived. The fresh fruit were not replenished or the other cold buffet items and the breakfast still had 30 mins until it finished. Breakfast the second morning was better. We were down just after it started and the cold buffet was full, porridge arrived swiftly although the hot items were cold again.

I would go back to the hotel again, just don't pay extra for breakfast unless you are there when they open.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OonaghGlasgow
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2009

This was my second stay in this hotel. During my first stay here I was given an executive room in the main house which was very pleasant, four poster and double bathroom etc. My second stay I was in a much smaller room, still in the main house (room 201 I think) but not a patch on the other room. I found it was damp in places and really not up to standard. The service in this hotel has been OK each time. The restaurant serves good quality food but is fairly expensive. They have an extensive wine list but not many options for a cheaper bottle! Overall, I think the hotel setting and character makes it a nice place to visit but try to get the evening meal and breakfast included in the rate and make sure you book an exec room!

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FT4Real
Leicester, UK
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This is the third time in less than a year I have stayed at this hotel for a Sunday to Monday golf break. The hotel is wonderful and golf course is great, hence our repeat visits. We got a deal of £108 pp dbb and two rounds of golf. On this occasion, however I was shocked by the distinct increase in bar prices and evening meal prices. We were allowed up to £30 pp for the meal - the cheapest starter was from £6.50 - £12.00 and the main meals ranged from £17.00 - £28 for steak/lamb dish, the sweets were £7.00 - £10.00. It certainly wasn't easy to choose a meal within £30!!! This was not the situation on my previous visits. The food itself is extremely well presented and tasty and the chef must be complimented on this.
A large glass of wine in the bar cost £6.50, yet the same in the restaurant was £8.50 a glass!!!!! How do they work that one out??
The main problem we encountered was not necessarily the poor service, as others have commented on, but that you have to check your bill very carefully when you check out. We were charged an extra £16.00 for drinks that we hadn't had (somehow several vodka and cokes had got on to our bill - and we are not vodka drinkers!!) and our evening meal excess was £21.50 and should have only been £11.50!!!
I must say in support of the reception staff, that they did not argue and immediately deducted the amounts from our bill. However, as we stood checking out - we could hear other guests having the same problem with overcharging! I don't know whether there is some sort of scam going on here, but this does seem to happen pretty regularly and we also experienced it on our other visits.
It is such a shame as this is one of the loveliest golf venues I have ever stayed at but am really thinking twice about stopping here again unless a) the prices are reduced to a more realistic level and b) they sort out the problem with overcharging.
It would be really nice to have a response from the management to these comments as I have noted happens with some other hotel guest comments on trip advisor.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed March 26, 2009

We stayed here over the weekend and were completelly appalled by the service at this hotel. This was our second visit to Stratford on Avon but thought we would try this hotel because it looked absolutely beautiful. My fiance and I are scouting places for our wedding later this year and when our driver pulled up to the front of the hotel, I just knew we had found our place. The grounds, gardens, decor, and the building itself are stunning! Check in was effortless (we booked last minute and found out they had a wedding going on so we felt lucky to even get a room!) After 2 hrs on the train from London we weren't looking terribly presentable but the young gentleman that showed us our table for dinner was very kind and had a great sense of humor. This was the last of the good service we received. The waiter who served our wine was clueless and had no idea what he was doing as he poured a glass of cab that had to be at least 80 degrees F. The food was amazing but it was difficult to enjoy it when we are slowly becoming aware that the service in this place was simply awful. After dinner, we went into the bar area where we met a nice couple from Scotland. I ordered a Cosmopolitan martini. I received a highball glass with large chunks of ice in it that had 1 shot of vodka, a shot of cointreau, club soda and cranberry juice. I was charged 15 pounds for this!!!! I'm not sure where the bartender was from but he was not British and didn't have a clue what he was doing behind the bar. I insisted on speaking with the bar manager who reluctantly reduced the price of my drink and was kind enough to speak to me about my concerns. I informed him that I wanted to have my wedding here but that if any of my friends were treated this way, I would be mortified.
Our room was beautiful! However, we soon discovered that it had no heat, the towel warmer didn't work, there was no alarm clock, no wash cloths and there was no hot water!! When we ordered room service the next morning, it arrived without any jam (unheard of in England) and the ketchup had already been opened. At this point, my fiance and I were laughing at the comedy of errors and decided to end our stay. As we stood in line to check out, we overheard the man in front of us kindly stating that the service was atrocious and that he would not be back. In fact, he was checking out early. To top it off, the man behind us had a similar experience and was arguing with the hotel manager because he was charged for things that he never ordered. The manager's response was that they couldn't reverses the charges.
It's such a shame that such a beautiful hotel has no clue what they are doing! Such a waste of a beautiful building and a stunning piece of property. If you are looking for a luxury hotel near Stratford, stick with the Cotswold House in Chipping Camden!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grapephreak
Oxon
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Stayed in the larger honeymoon suite of the two they had and oh my what an experience. My other half walked in and said this is no hotel, its a mansion within a hotel! Enormous lounge, beautiful bedrrom and a bathroom I certainly won't forget in a rush! And views to match too! Service was good. Probably could have been slightly quicker with room service but they did apologise for 20 minute delay which was no big deal.

We both had treatments in the spa which really did blow us away! Incredible open plan space, lovely treatment rooms. The head therapist was so kind to my other half as she was quite nervous and the small dark haired girl was just the best head massage ever!!

The only downside of the whole stay is that the car park was really hard to find a space in as they had a conference on at the same time. They do have an overflow car park but it was a five minute drive away.... even though it was only a 1 min walk to reception.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Having visited last weekend with a view to choosing the hotel as a wedding venue, we were disappointed that there seemed to be some attention to detail missing.
The staff, whilst friendly, were all dressed in old, very worn uniforms. Even members of the management team wore ill-fitting, tired and faded outfits. Another point that struck us immediately is that lots of the windows were very dirty and in desperate need of a good clean. When the stunning views are such a feature, its unfortunate to see them through smeared, dirty windows.

Whilst these points will not affect service- which we have yet to experience ourselves, it certainly tainted our first impressions. Basic good housekeeping is the very least you should expect of a 4-star hotel!!
Hopefully improvements will have been made if we decide to visit again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple