We stayed here over the weekend and were completelly appalled by the service at this hotel. This was our second visit to Stratford on Avon but thought we would try this hotel because it looked absolutely beautiful. My fiance and I are scouting places for our wedding later this year and when our driver pulled up to the front of the hotel, I just knew we had found our place. The grounds, gardens, decor, and the building itself are stunning! Check in was effortless (we booked last minute and found out they had a wedding going on so we felt lucky to even get a room!) After 2 hrs on the train from London we weren't looking terribly presentable but the young gentleman that showed us our table for dinner was very kind and had a great sense of humor. This was the last of the good service we received. The waiter who served our wine was clueless and had no idea what he was doing as he poured a glass of cab that had to be at least 80 degrees F. The food was amazing but it was difficult to enjoy it when we are slowly becoming aware that the service in this place was simply awful. After dinner, we went into the bar area where we met a nice couple from Scotland. I ordered a Cosmopolitan martini. I received a highball glass with large chunks of ice in it that had 1 shot of vodka, a shot of cointreau, club soda and cranberry juice. I was charged 15 pounds for this!!!! I'm not sure where the bartender was from but he was not British and didn't have a clue what he was doing behind the bar. I insisted on speaking with the bar manager who reluctantly reduced the price of my drink and was kind enough to speak to me about my concerns. I informed him that I wanted to have my wedding here but that if any of my friends were treated this way, I would be mortified.
Our room was beautiful! However, we soon discovered that it had no heat, the towel warmer didn't work, there was no alarm clock, no wash cloths and there was no hot water!! When we ordered room service the next morning, it arrived without any jam (unheard of in England) and the ketchup had already been opened. At this point, my fiance and I were laughing at the comedy of errors and decided to end our stay. As we stood in line to check out, we overheard the man in front of us kindly stating that the service was atrocious and that he would not be back. In fact, he was checking out early. To top it off, the man behind us had a similar experience and was arguing with the hotel manager because he was charged for things that he never ordered. The manager's response was that they couldn't reverses the charges.
It's such a shame that such a beautiful hotel has no clue what they are doing! Such a waste of a beautiful building and a stunning piece of property. If you are looking for a luxury hotel near Stratford, stick with the Cotswold House in Chipping Camden!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe is a calendar country house located on the edge of Stratford-upon-Avon and the beautiful Cotswolds. It's a calendar house because it has 7 entrances, 12 fireplaces, 52 chimneys and 365 windows. Perfectly located within walking distance of Stratford-upon-Avon yet not far from the A46 and M40 motorway, this oasis has ample free parking on site. There's also 78 comfy bedrooms and 7 spacious apartments for groups of friends looking for a relaxing retreat, a wonderful spa with hydropool, an 18-hole championship golf course and acres of landscaped gardens which make for picture perfect wedding memories. Of course, if indulgence is on the menu, you can't go wrong with the award-winning menu, a classic combination of great British produce and seasonal specialities crafted with charm and innovation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Ctrip TA, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel And Golf Course
- Menzies Welcombe Hotel Course
- Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe Stratford-Upon-Avon, England