“Wonderful.........” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Derbyshire
“Wonderful.........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I spent one night here whilst on business, I booked an executive double room. This hotel is located in breath taking countryside and the building is beautiful. On arrival the check in was seamless . My room was in the main part of the hotel and was extremely spacious, with a large extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was spotless and I loved the products supplied. Two of the most important things in a hotel room for me, other than it being clean, are large fluffy towels and a good quality, comfortable mattress, neither disappointed......the towels were bliss and the mattress gave me a wonderful nights sleep. We dined in the restaurant and the food was delicious. Every member of staff we met were very customer focused and nothing was too much trouble. We took a walk in the beautiful grounds and were blessed with beautiful sunshine. We didn't get to use the spa but it looked lovely. We loved the huge squishy sofas and the roaring open fire. We had a lovely quiet relaxing stay. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Check for any offers
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BertieDerbyshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Korean first
St Ives
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just returned from another away day golf break.

Enjoyed the golf and comfortable room. service though was stretched this time and I found my evening meal to be well short of last year's high standard.

Have to say I was very disappointed to find the golf shop carried only gloves for ladies ! A welcome display of sale goods for gents but no such offers for the 34 ladies in our party. In fact nothing for ladies full price or otherwise. Even more disappointing as I had promised myself a treat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your review and I do know after speaking to Liz that overall, you lady golfers from St Ives had an enjoyable weekend. There were a couple of issues with the menu and service on Sunday for which I do sincerely apologise , it was a rather busy night as everone choose to eat in the hotel.
Unfortunately the ladies golf wear is not in as yet ( due next week ) and we sold last years stock as sale items through the Winter - I have asked my Director of Golf to ensure we have stock in at the end of march next year as we hope you will return.
All the best
Pittstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

A wonderfully delightful stay -- there was even sunshine. Not bad for late February. And while I had a nice walk around the grounds I missed two opportunities: (1) a walk into town across the firlds; and (2) a round of golf. I did not miss out on a lovely dinner however and a pre-dinner libation in the bar, room not to miss. Rooms were comfy although know that there is a historic section and a modern section of the hotel. I was in the modern part and I don't know if that would have made a difference.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank GaryGreek
Gary as a Senior Contributor on TripAdviser I thank you for such a kind review and look forward to you returning - if you contact me I will try to allocate you in the main house so you can enjoy the history of this magnificent country house.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

A huge thank you to Wesley in reception and all the staff who looked after us so well during our stay. We had a fantastic rest away from the stresses of life, and will be back soon! Food and service was superb, and all staff couldn't have done any more for us.

The gardens were beautifully kept, and what a welcome when you drive up to the main house. Just watch out for the speed bumps!

Room Tip: Speak to Wesley!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a great review - it is fantastic when team members are mentioned by name.
Wesley has a copy of this review up in the reception office and is now fully expecting to be employees of the month !
Glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed here for a valentine weekend and there was something we had planned to do in Stratford. The hotel was very easy to find, the grounds were amazing and well kept. As soon as we arrived we headed to the spa as we were booked in for a massage and lunch. The spa staff took time to show us around the spa and its facilities and then offered us a drink while we waiting for our massage (we was slightly early). We had our massage together, it was very relaxing and the girls were very professional and made my partner and I feel totally relaxed.

After the massage we made use of the other spa facilities, the pool and jacuzzi was lovely and warm and most of all clean. They had a sauna and a steam room too which we sat for a while before going in to the outdoor pool. I was not keen on going out there as it was cold but I'm glad i went out there with my husband, it was so nice and warm too - the jets were lovely and powerful too!

The menu at the spa had a lot of choice and it all looked nice. We went for a platter with seafood on it and we had no complaints!

We checked in to our room at 2pm. The hotel has an amazing, beautiful feeling about it when you walk in, Our room was easy to find and we were very pleased with it. It was immaculate and we had a beautiful view out of the window. One night we came back to the hotel about 10:30 and stayed in the main lounge area next to the log fire and sat there till the early hours drinking and talking to my partner. The staff were very attentive, the bar staff they told me to take a seat and they would bring my drinks over. The breakfast staff were just as attentive, making sure everybody had enough tea/coffee and making sure breakfast was not running out.

I had an amazing stay and would recommend to anybody who is considering booking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lady_Thompson_15
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Was upgraded to a beautiful four poster garden view room after a booking mix up meant we had to change our date. (web site was accepting bookings when the Hotel was full)
Wow, everything was spot on, the location, the building, the grounds, the staff, the food, the Spa and especially the room.
Hopefully stay again soon.

Room Tip: Push the boat out and go for a four poster garden view room, we stayed in No 132 you won't be...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Well , thank you for a great review and I do apologise for any mix up with your booking - but clearly there was a pleasant outcome.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Booked one night in an executive room via Secret Escapes. Immaculate grounds and the hotel lived up to our expectations. Was a tad disappointed that our room was on the ground floor, was at the front of the hotel and so looked over the car park however the receptionist helped us find a room with a view over the back of the hotel where the fabulous views are and gardens albeit only a standard room but we didn't mind as wanted the lovely view from our bedroom window. The three course a la carte dinner was very enjoyable. We used the Spa and the staff who looked after us for our treatments were excellent. Not enough loungers around the pool considering the size of the pool etc think I counted ten which clearly is not enough when there is ample floor space.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
To get such a great review from a senior reviewer is fantastic - thank you. I am so glad my team were able to help find a room of your liking - the gardens are now coming good with the Spring weather.
I am delighted you enjoyed your dinner and that the Spa/treatments were to your liking - we will review the number of loungers by the pool.
Your recommendation is is much appreciated