“Another enjoyable break”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Another enjoyable break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Lovely hotel in wonderful grounds. Couldnt fault anything. The leisure centre is the best we have ever been to not only the usual - pool, jaccuzzi, sauna, steam room but other things I have never seen before, spent ages in there, normally I'm quite happy to come out after half and hour or so but not yesterday, could have stayed there much longer if I hadnt have been hungry. Had a bar meal, just right - not particularly cheap but on par with most hotels. Our room was lovely and quiet (room 103)maybe not as big as some we've stayed in but it had everything. The bathroom was a very good size. Staff were polite, helpful etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Korean first
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed at the Welcombe for a night recently and my husband and I were both thrilled with the quality of the Room, combined with excellent food and good service, in addition to which we loved the general relaxed large country house atmosphere of this truly beautiful building - and with a top notch spa and golf course as well, what more could we ask for? Can't speak highly enough of it, loved it!!

Room Tip: The grounds/gardens are beautiful, so a room overlooking these is a real bonus.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buster15MiltonKeynes
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My boyfriend took me to the Menzies hotel for my birthday last month just for the night. We had been before a couple of years ago and I having been wanting to go back since then. I absolutely love it, it is like a stately home, very beautiful with plenty of character and the grounds are beautiful. I can imagine it would be really lovely in the summer.

We stayed in the hotel for dinner, the food was amazing, had three courses which I can't normally manage but it was so lovely I had to eat the lot!! The staff were friendly and polite and couldn't do enough for you.

The room was really lovely, bigger than the last one we stayed in and had White Company toiletries.

The spa is the best I have been in. It is attached to the hotel and is of a very high standard, I would say.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I just came back from a 1 night stay with 3 friends. We booked it through Spabreaks.co.uk and therefore had no dealings with the hotel direcltly.

We were told upon arrival that we had to pay in advance for the stay, which was contrary to what we had been informed by Spa Breaks. There was clearly a lack of communication which didn't help.

The place itself is beautiful & very elegant in places. We were really only there for the spa, which is where we spent most of the time. Overall the spa is lovely. Spacious, lots of variety and clean environment. However, the outdoor pool/ jacuzzi was not hot enough, which was disappointing, and it's surrounded by glass with the reception/ lounge on the other side, so its pretty exposed and not very private which was a shame.

The foot spa machines didn't always work and seem very old and dated. The steam room wasn't working on our first day and it took forever to get someone to look at it. There were some lovely showers by the steam rooms which were good, but the other rooms seem quite basic and small. It's definitely not a world class spa in that respect.

The treatments were very good, although we were left waiting for 10 min into our time slot before anyone came to deal with us. Also, the actual treatment time was shorter than what was advertised which was disappointing.

They have a solid kids policy which means there are set times that kids can use the pool. So while we were there, we very rarely had any kids around us which was nice and helped us to relax.

It was disappointing that the Spa and Hotel aren't physically connected, which meant we had to walk (a short distance) between both, in the pouring rain, but that wasn't a huge issue.

The food was excellent. We had the set menu for dinner, and it was top class. 3 very impressive courses, all Included. The only issue was that we were sitting in what looked like a conference room, which felt dry and lifeless. Also, we were made to feel very under-dressed. Everyone was in lounge suits, and we were in jeans. There should probably be a more relaxed dress code.

I loved the apple TV in the room. It, in no way fits the type of hotel and made us all slightly confused why such a high tech piece of kit was in such an old fashioned hotel, but we enjoyed it. None of us really had a good night sleep. The walls are not so sound proof, and I was woken up by the sound of the next rooms shower going off. That was really not impressive and considering this was meant to be a spa break, waking up to a thumping shower engine in your ear, didn't help.

We had a nice bar lunch on 31st which was really nice in the lounge, and ended a pleasant trip.

Overall I think it's a lovely place. It seems more catered to older couples and families, and is much more of a hotel with a spa, than a specialist spa hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I do apologise for any confusion when you arrived, clearly there are many agents/websites with differing ways of paying but if you hadn't paid the agent then it would be on arrival.

The out door Vitality pool is kept at a constant 36 degrees which has not received any comments before but I am sorry if you felt that a bit cool - on a cold day like today it is actually steaming ! The foot spas are operated by sensors when you sit at them and are only 6 years old and we have checked their operation , but I am sorry if you had problems.

I am also sorry that you were disturbed by the power shower I have asked my maintenance team to look at these is case one has come loose causing the noise as they are fitted on to vibration absorbant pads and sound proofed.

Glad you like the iMac TV

I note your comments on the age of the clients we cater for - we do try to cater for all tastes and perhaps there were just a lot of 'older ' guests when you stayed ?

Kind regards
Leicester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a very difficult hotel to rate, as some aspects are very good, and some very poor. We (a party of 4, 2 couples) stayed for one night as an 'in between' break on the 30th December. It was booked as a golf break for the guys and a spa session for the ladies. First impressions are very good. The building is a very impressive Jacobean mansion set back from the main road, with welcoming reception staff, beautiful public rooms, a roaring fire in a huge fireplace - everything you would expect in this style of hotel. We knew we could not book in as we arrived early(ish) to golf and spa. So we settled down for a cup of coffee and then off to our activities. We were told (totally understood) that because of flooding only a limited number of holes were playable on the course. No problem, we played a few very enjoyable holes. After a couple of hours we retired to the club house to have a swift half before returning to the hotel, there were other golfers enjoying a drink. But there was no staff, we hung around for 10 mins, checked in the shop to be told they were not bar staff - so we left. This was the first example of a string of 'service' problems. Served tea that was luke warm, sent it back to be told that was how they served tea (it did remain on the bill until we pointed this out on departure), the ladies were offered different treatment options, despite being booked on the same package, sandwiches taking an age to arrive etc. We booked into the room - a real disappointment, not reflecting the character of the hotel at all - frankly a bit 1970's Crossroads. Good points - the bed was huge and comfortable (although the duvet was actually too small for the bed!) and a really good shower with lashings of hot water. The strangest TV arrangement I have ever experienced in a hotel bedroon and very frustrating - an Apple computer (?) that was very difficult to control and a very small screen. Just put a TV in the room, makes far more sense! We went to dinner a little worried, given our earlier experiences, but we shouldn't have worried. Very good food and much better service that other parts of the hotel. Particular reference to Tom (the assistant manager) and Talia who looked after us very well. However, we were put in what was obviously the 'over spill' area of the restaurant. The dining room is part of the very impressive public areas, but this was full, so a partition was opened into the conference areas which is where our table was. It did feel very much like the poor relation room and that we were really missing out on some of the atmosphere of the place. The diners in the restaurant proper even had different cutlery and glasses. After a good meal we then retired to the bar where it took nearly 30 mins and several reminders to bring tea. Breakfast was very good and again the service efficient. A brief problem with the bill was quickly resolved and we left. In summary this feels like two hotels. Great public rooms, good restaurant and staff, plus good reception staff. The bar staff were hopeless and the rooms at best average. Given this is an expensive hotel, overall I don't think this good enough, but (particularly the bar staff) could be rectified very easily.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank LeicesterChipper
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to draw my attention to your very constructive comments and I do apologise for the various service issues you encountered - rest assurred I have been through them all with my team as I know we can do better.
Kind regards
Cornwall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights back in November for a wedding. I was part of the bridal party and 6 months pregnant so requested during my booking to be close to the bride. I ended up being in the newer area of the hotel about as far from the bride as possible!! We arrived later than expected and only had 10 mins to make a meeting with the bride so had no time to complain. I asked reception for directions to the bride's suite as it wasn't sign posted and it took 10 mins for the girl to give me directions as she didn't know and in the end she just guessed!
That night I slept so badly, the bed was AWFUL. It was 2 singles pushed together, they were rock solid and the duvet didn't actually fit the bed either - it was 2 zipped together with a third folded over inside the cover so one half was doubled up and the other single. In the morning I again had no time to complain as had a wedding to get ready for! I would have expected for a 4 star hotel a robe and slippers but neither were provided resulting in me walking round the hotel in my pjs and socks!
The older part of the hotel itself was a lovely building but the facilitates are not what I would consider to be worth the expensive price tag at all. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. A number of other guests at the wedding also had a bad experience and were moved but I just didn't have time to complain. I wouldn't stay here again even if I had been moved, I felt it was a let down and expensive.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, ask to be in the older part of the main hotel, most people I know who...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smartihols
Thank you for your review and I am sorry we were not able to allocate you near to the Bride but she would have been in one of the main house rooms where we do charge a supplement and wherever possible we do try to get the bridal party together but we must have been particularly busy not to have put you near to her.

The beds are just over one year old and are top hotel quality zip & link beds that can be split in to twins - sorry if you found them too hard.

Regards
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a wedding party. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms luxurious. The service at breakfast was terrible and a real let down after such a lovely evening at the wedding..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family