“Delicious food and comfortable room.”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Somerset
“Delicious food and comfortable room.”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed here for a two night package over New Year. We found the staff were plentiful and courteous at all times. Our room was large, and well equipped, with 2 hairdryers, iron & ironing board, tea/coffee making facilities, a shower and a shower fitting on taps for washing hair in the bath, loads of storage space and a comfortable bed.

The breakfast offered the usual selection, but a choice of either back or streaky bacon, and the rashers were huge. Good choice of fruit to go with cereal too - fresh fruit salad, grapefruit, orange segments, plus a variety of dried fruit. Nice to see clean linen tablecloths and napkins at every mealtime. You had to walk through the people selecting their buffet breakfast in order to book in and be allocated a table. This needs improving, as it caused congestion and confusion at times.

Liked the afternoon teas with a selection of finger sandwiches (with crusts cut off) and dainty cakes. This proved so popular we weren't always able to find space to sit down and eat.

Had a five course gala dinner on New Years Eve, which was top quality food. However, it lasted from 8pm to 11pm which I found too long to sit still and too much to eat. Would have preferred three courses and to be dancing from 9.30!

Didn't have time to try the spa facilities unfortunately. Stratford is well within walking distance, and a pleasant stroll alongside the River Avon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Korean first
Torquay
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This was our second xmas at this hotel and it was even better than last year.
The staff were excellent nothing was too much trouble.
The food was very good, attention to detail - our grandchildren joined us on Xmas day and father xmas came to see them with presents which were labelled just for them.
There were quizzes, etc., and Boxing Night there was a very good dinner dance with great music.
Our bedroom was not the best but we were lucky enough to take our Jack Russell and we did see one of the better rooms which was very very good.
Hope to be able to visit in the Summer when I can get to play golf!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My visit was in August 2010. The building and grounds are breathtaking. I did not have a great start to my stay here, I was jet lagged and traumatized from driving on the other side of the street (on a motorway no less). So I was glad to be in my room, not thrilled that it was on the top floor at the end of the hall (I think it was the furthest I could possibly be), but glad not to be behind the wheel. I tried to get settled, after about an hour or so I was told by management that there was a plumbing problem in my room and had to relocate. So I re-packed and moved down the hall. It was a warm night, and I was on the top floor, I quickly figured out that the air in my room was not working. At that point the manager came and eventually he offered to move me to another room (my 3rd in about 4 hours). He was very nice and offered a drink to compensate as I don't drink he sent a fruit plate up instead. I think it was his first night there and I just want to say he did a great job dealing with a jet-lagged (thus emotional) customer. Also the staff was helpful in answering questions about the area and with getting a taxi into town (parking is not easy in S-u-A, I recommend a taxi into town, town is very walkable).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Katyhack
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2011

This years Christmas party was a overnight stay with breakfast at the Menzies, probably the best we have experienced for many years. Welcome hotel was exactly our experience. Friendly and helpful from arrival to departure, we enjoyed every moment. Rooms were good, food excellent (condisering this was a 100+ guest party, the meal was not the usual hotel conveyor belt food) ambience was very christmassy, especially the roaring open fire in the lounge. The party was a good balance of lively and fun without being rowdy. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would consider visiting again, well done to all at Menzies stratford.

• Stayed December 2011
Henley-in-Arden
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Stayed here to celebrate a 50th birthday with friends, we chose the hotel as it was central to all of us. We had asked Lucy in reservations for adjoining rooms which were all ready for us on arrival, very spacious and clean. The lounge had a beautiful fire and comfy sofas. We had booked golf and were pleasantly surprised to be driven down to the clubhouse in the hotel's buggy - a great touch. The spa was beautiful, very clean and loved the outdoor pool - small but invigorating!! Dinner was superb, I ate something I would never have tried and it was delicious. It was nice to be able to stay at the table without being hassled by staff, they all made us very welcome. Breakfast was very good and despite the restaurant being full we were well looked after. We had a wonderful walk around the grounds, my only negative being the state of the tennis courts which were really neglected and didn't fit in with the rest of the hotel. Staff throughout were very pleasant and helpful - we will certainly be back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Cotswolds
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We booked for Sunday lunch and we were not disappointed the service was good and the food very good just enough choice on the menu for everything to be fresh. It really is a beautiful hotel with good views and well kept gardens and lots of parking

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed here on a one night spa break package, which included dinner, B&B and a treatment on a last minute rate.
From our initial booking until the moment we left - I have to say that the service we received was exceptional. Upon checking, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been upgraded to an extra large room, including a living room and huge bathroom on the ground floor. The decor within the room was a little tired and worn in areas - but that somehow added to the charm of the hotel. I think there may be some refurbishing of the bedrooms being carried out, but with this I'd expect a price increase...so we were glad of the opportunity to visit at a lower price. However, bed linen etc were very clean as was the bathroom etc andpublic areas.

We had afternoon tea, evening meal and breakfast and we thought the two rosettes awarded to the restaurant were certainly deserved. The food was superb. The set menu included in our package was fine, but some of the other dishes on the a la carte menu were too good to miss and we were pleased we paid the extra money. All three courses were of excellent quality. Breakfast had a very good choice and hot food was replenished frequently, but we'd recommend going earlier than later due to queues.

The service at times in general could be slow, but not because the staff were not working hard. Perhaps there weren't enough of them at peak times. However, when I go to a hotel I am quite happy to sit back, relax and enjoy the ambience....something more people should learn to do!

We thought the spa facilities on offer were very good. I have been to many hotel spas, and very often that means they have a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and treatment rooms. The Welcombe Hotel offers much more. The various thermal rooms, hydro pool, ice fountain etc, are great. My only tip would be go in the week, or Sunday morning as it can get quite busy. My husband and I both chose a back massage as our treatment and both were very pleased. A good selection of treatments were available and prices were about average, but make sure you book them in when making the hotel booking.

The grounds of the Welcombe were very well maintained and whilst we were still experiencing the tail end of an Indian summer, we imagined that they would be just as beautiful in the winter.

Stratford-upon-Avon is a short drive away and provided a lovely choice of pubs, restaurants, gift shops etc making the Welcombe Hotel a good location.

Overall we loved our trip! Yes there are little areas that could do with a little touch-up here and there, but it's an old house, and isn't that part of the charm? Some good last / late deals out there is you look for them!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple