“Comfortable, classy, convenient - but a parking problem.”
Review of The Arden Hotel

The Arden Hotel
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband was booked in to this hotel for a work-related trip - I just came along for the ride. Because of this I can't comment on value for money. However the room was comfortable, tastefully decorated with a spacious bathroom and luxurious bed. Breakfast the next day was excellent, although service was a little dozy. Location was perfect, and I wished we had been going to the theatre, as the hotel is right across the road from Stratford's cultural hub. But the town is small, so easy to walk everywhere. A couple of quibbles: the car park is reached via a complex one-way system. We couldn't find it, and when we did it was full. The receptionist claimed information had been sent with our booking, but as we didn't actually make the booking, the info never reached us. Signs would be helpful - please? Also, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for elderly or disabled people - it is full of stairs and lengthy corridors, and finding your room isn't made easier by the hotel naming the rooms after trees: 'Oak", "Cypress', 'Beech', etc - like the 'Forest of Arden' (Geddit?) - and just as easy to get lost in. But in every other way, a place to recommend.

1  Thank MargaretBritish
gmardenhotel, General Manager at The Arden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear MargaretBritish

Thank you for your kind review. Im glad you had a wonderful "classy" experience at the Arden Hotel. I would like to say that the confirmation we send to the person who makes the reservation has full driving instructions along with car park postcode, so driving to us is made as simple as possible. Full driving instructions can also be found on our website, which also includes the car park's postcode.

In regards to the car park, yes the car park was very busy last weekend. One of our team members could have parked the car for you, so you didnt have to worry about where to park. I must say it is very rare the car park is full and being Bank Holiday weekend it was of course very busy. Myself and the team kept a very close eye on the car park all weekend and were "juggling" cars most of the time. The car park is also compliementary to residents of the hotel unlike most of the other hotels in Stratford upon avon town centre.

On your last point, I would just like to make you aware that we have a disabled friendly room on the ground floor right next to reception and five other bedrooms, six steps away from reception, this makes it easier for our elderly guests to get around, as when the hotel was remodelled we were unable to install a lift due to the listed building constraints.We also have a wheelchair (Stair) lift.

I hope this has put your mind at rest and answered any questions that you may have had.

Thank you again for your comments, we very much look forward to welcoming you back the Arden Hotel in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Jason Adams
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night in the Holly suite after a 2 night stay at The Lazy Cow in Warwick, and although it cost twice a much (and more!) I would gladly exchange one night here for 2 nights there. The suite was spacious, with a separate bathroom and toilet (the toilet being about the size of our bathroom at home!) and was beautifuly decorated. Everything was luxurious and the space just divine! We ate here as well and the only complaint was perhaps the size of the portions - a little too nouvelle cuisine for our liking. The staff, from cleaners through to the restaurant manager, were all friendly and courteous, and actually seemed to like working there. Would definately recommend a stay here - well worth the money.

Room Tip: Suites are spacious, but I think that all rooms would be lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We booked last minute to stay at The Arden Hotel on a Friday night a couple of weeks ago and will definitely return again. We were upgraded to a Master room which was tastefully furnished and equipped with everything needed for an overnight stay. The bathroom was huge with a bath & separate walk in shower, fluffy towels & bathrobes, high quality toiletries etc. The complimentary tea & coffee tray came with a cafetiere and proper milk which we really appreciated! A very comfortable kingsize bed, flat screen TV, hairdryer, a very pleasant sitting area & desk and free Wifi. The hotel is opposite the main theatre and overlooks the river, you could walk everywhere and parking was free. Breakfast was included, served efficiently and very good – huge range of items to choose from. After seeing Hamlet we had a drink in the main bar which was very pleasant. Would highly recommend The Arden Hotel as a great base to explore Stratford upon Avon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I previously reviewed The Arden after a business trip last year and I stayed there again some weeks ago. Last time, I complained that it was a lovely, cute hotel that was well situated for Aunty Ethel to visit the theatre but wasn't geared for business. I've changed my mind.

Everything was taken care of exactly the way it should have been. The room was great, the meeting room was superb, the staff were perfect.

I was so pleased I stayed at the Arden again, and I am glad I have the opportunity to get over myself and enjoy this fine hotel for what it is. I will definitely be back next time I am in town.

Room Tip: The master rooms are spectacular.
1  Thank JoziMatt
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Arden. The location is excellent and the hotel is very tastefully decorated and we returned home feeling immensely relaxed. The hotel arranged for some great seats for a showing at the theater, which was so convenient directly across the road. We were very fortunate to arrive on the Shakespeare birthday weekend and it was a delight to witness the town come out in celebration. The staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly, professional and efficient. The reception staff maybe not so, as I couldn't recall the last part of my car registration number I did object to being told it wasn't a memory test in an offhand manner! The room was equally lovely (Pine) and I had asked for a quiet room and it lived up to this, with a super sized bathroom. All in all we can highly recommend the hotel and if returning to Stratford will seek out to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was my third stay at The Arden. My room was much smaller than on previous visits but compensated for this with a view of the river rather than the street. Comfortable, clean,great decor and I love the L'Occitane bathroom luxuries! Breakfast was well presented and the smoked salmon was pleasant. Reception service was a little 'brusque but efficient.
A stone's throw from the Swan theatre makes this a perfect place to stay for those in Stratford visiting the RSC.

Room Tip: Willow was high up with a good river view but was a little small.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last 30 years. It's location has always made it a preferred choice. My daughter and I stayed there this weekend and we were so impressed with all the renovations. It is truly a beautiful hotel that now combines both the historical quaintness along with the finest of luxuries. The service was impeccable and the amenities are excellent. I heard the renovation of the hotel cost multi-millions, but I would say it was worth every penny. I can't wait to return to the hotel on my next visit from California.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family