“just popped in”
Review of Old Thatch Tavern

Old Thatch Tavern
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Winners of the 2017 Best Pub Award in Coventry and Warwickshire. Thatched, low beamed and flag stone floor tavern. Dates from 1470 and has many original features. Log fires., Lovely leaded windows and a cosy atmosphere.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This looked so inviting from the outside we just had to go in and sample the nectar!! My husband hates shopping so the deal is 3 shops then 1 drink - works a treat!! On entering here it was like a step back in time, very nice, the food aroma was excellent and the choice of drinks was amazing... it was packed with diners, some even being turned away because it was so so busy. Bar staff and people around us were all very polite and will hav a meal here on our next visit....

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a family Sunday lunch here yesterday, it is the best Carvery we've ever been to, we're not fans of Carvery Sunday lunches, the food is usually cold, but The Old Thatch version is every bit as good as home made. A choice of three succulent roasts, the vegetables were replenished regularly, a really relaxing and enjoyable experience. A mistake was made on our bill, we visited the next day to point out the mistake, which was rectified immediately. The quality of food and this outstanding treatment means they will be getting our custom when we're in Stratford in the future.

1  Thank UKKanda
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am unable to grasp how this establishment has managed to create such a high rating in the past.
True the building looks the part, but cramped seating conditions immediately detracts from the
atmosphere. No prices on the menu or a pricelist to be found.
The Sunday carvery consisted of cold pork/turkey crown or tough roast beef and the vegetables were of instutional standard-- barely edible. There is an art in destroying and serving food in this manner and 'The Old Thatch Tavern' have nearly perfected this.
I would not recommend this Pub/restaurant,they must try harder especially if they wish to attract foreign tourists.

sandbox54, Owner at Old Thatch Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Goodness I am not sure which pub you were in but it certainly was not mine! I do remember however, a man who didn't like the vegetables we served ie cauliflower cheese, braised red cabbage in wine, chantenay carrots and green cabbage with roast parsnips and roast potatoes. So we did him some broccoli and peas, which he did like. Then he came back and said the gravy was cold, yet there was steam coming from it but; we changed the whole meal for him. He must have been happy because the plate was licked clean and he stopped for a dessert. So had we known you were so unhappy we would have put everything right for you. Both the main menu and drinks menu are priced but we haven't priced the carvery, so thank you for bringing that to my attention and it will be priced immediately. With regards to the cramped seating area, not much I can do really as we are a grade 2 listed building, so I think an extension is out of the question don't you?. Now to the biggest insult you have thrown - ' the art of destroying food and serving it' Well I really worry about your judgement of food, I can only assume that processed food, fast food or ping food or your normal intake; we serve up to 70 carverys every Sunday and many people travel along way to enjoy dinner with us and whilst in the past something may have gone wrong with potatoes etc I have never heard of any one being so rude about our food and not even have the courage to approach us whilst your there.
Normally I like to learn from negative comments and understand that you can't please some of the people all of the time, I welcome people back and hope we can put right what ever was wrong, but with you sir, I really hope after such an unpleasant experience you never enter the Old Thatch again and leave the valuable space for customers who know good honest home cooking! Sandie

Reviewed February 24, 2013

What a gorgeous pub this is! We had a delicious meal on the Friday night, the steak was amazing, so good we went again on the Saturday night, yummy lasagne. Cosy, warm, crackling open fire, we really needed this as it was a freezing cold weekend. The staff were really helpful, nothing too much trouble. If you want a meal it's probably wise to book a table as the locals seem to know it's the best place to go to. Would highly recommend.

sandbox54, Owner at Old Thatch Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for your complementary review, I think my pub is gorgeous too :) Knowing you came back because your first experience was great, is wonderful, - its this that keeps us on our toes as we always hope that today's customer will be tomorrows too. Please come and visit us again as you are not too far away. Best wishes Sandie

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

After a long day sightseeing we decided to stop at The Old Thatch Tavern for a drink. The staff were extremely friendly and the atmosphere was very welcoming, so much so that we decided to stay for dinner, the bar staff were more than accommodating and found us a table in the cosy restaurant area. Both of us had soup of the day which was Stilton and Brocolli, it was beautiful! Our main courses were also well enjoyed (burger and fish and chips) and the portions were extremely generous, chips so chunky that neither of us could finish them even though it broke our hearts because they were so tasty! We really enjoyed our evening and the meal itself was good value, about £10 each for the mains and £4 each for the starters, just wish there had been room for dessert!

sandbox54, Owner at Old Thatch Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit. Please come again when you are on your next sight seeing trip to Stratford, we would love to see you. Best wishes Sandie