“Pity about the Rolls” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barnabys

Barnabys
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast Food, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We Serve Traditional fish and chips. Take away or restaurant plus icecream parlour. A self service restaurant.
South Wales
“Pity about the Rolls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

A self-service fish'n'chip restaurant.
Designer chips (every one different in shape and size !) and cod that's light and fluffy in texture, not rubbery and stodgy.
Some of the best fish 'n' chips we've eaten.
Unfortunately the buttered rolls tasted as if they were the previous day's, quite dry.
The eating area is light and airy, clean and kept that way by a polite waitress.
Recommended for good old traditional grub the way it should be, apart from the rolls that is.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank WhiteRocke

• Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Arrogant Management - Expensive food - undercooked 0/10”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Went here with my three daughters for fish and chips for four. With the teas and bread an butter the bill was almost £30. The food was really poor quality and as I removed the batter I could see that the fish was not white but a light great colour. I would have brought this to the attention of the Hairy man behind the cash register - but his arrogance and lack of empathy towards customers could be seen a mile away.

I even tried to tell him that I was a fellow Greek, but he seemed more interested in counting his money. yes, this place is busy and I believe they don't care as many of the tourists will never set foot in the place.

The food was bland and undercooked - the service was awful I give this dump 0/10

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank stevenmaoudis
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Nice Fish & Chips in pleasant surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I pride myself on being a bit of a connoisseur of fish & chips and these weren't bad. The batter was light, the fish very fresh and the chips quite tasty. The restaurant itself was nicely decorated in a modern style and very clean. I was intrigued by the TV screen in the restaurant which showed real time webcam pictures of the kitchen. You could see the cook frying your fish, as it happened! Maybe I have had a sheltered life but I have not seen that before.
The staff could have been a little more friendly but I was there for a plate of Britain's National Dish not to make a lifetime buddy!
The owners appear to have links with East London because there were pictures of the Kray Twins and their friends everywhere.

1 Thank Abrumar
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Best Fish and Chips I've had in a long time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I stumbled on this place after exploring the town and decided to give it a go. When we ate there it was the late afternoon, so it was very quiet, but the food was excellent, the fish was one of the best pieces of Cod I have ever eaten.

Prices were more or less the going rate for a Fish and Chip restaurant, I'd certainly eat here again in future.

1 Thank JordanBrit
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Brilliant location, but a big let-down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Barnabys is the first 'chippy' many visitors to Stratford will encounter, being close to the river and the theatre. This is a pity, because it doesn't leave the best impression.

I visited in a party of four at lunchtime on a Wednesday. The place wasn't busy, which was perhaps just as well because even with few customers the service was painfully slow, with staff having to multi-task (e.g. serving drinks and operating the till).

Between us we tried cod, scampi and sausages, all with chips. The cod (once you got past the copious batter) was moist and looked appetising but lacked flavour and left a bitter aftertaste. The sausages were the worst quality I've ever encountered, mush-filled and with no discernable meat flavour. The scampi (cooked to order) was satisfactory. The chips were OK, a bit dry for my liking but still acceptable.

If you're eating in you have to queue to fetch the food yourself, so it's not really a restaurant in the way most people would define the term. The seating area is basic (laminate-topped tables reminiscent of a 1970s works canteen) and has photos of celebrities on the walls, some of whom seem to have visited Barnabys at various times. There's a TV which shows the food being cooked, from a camera in the ceiling above the fryer - hardly riveting entertainment!

Overall, very average and not a memorable eating experience.

1 Thank NeilT1960