“Reliable chain cafe and restaurant near the RSC theatres”

Cafe Rouge Stratford Upon Avon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located just a stone's throw from the train station, Café Rouge Stratford is serving up a little slice of Parisian life... rich red curtains, theatre walls with bespoke Rouge graphics, Shakespearean quotes and gorgeous French posters. Make your celebrations that extra bit special and book our private dining room with no hire charge, and if you fancy dining al fresco we've got two fantastic gardens - perfect for a cappuccino or a leisurely glass of wine.
Birmingham
“Reliable chain cafe and restaurant near the RSC theatres”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This branch of Café Rouge (18 Sheep St) is very close to the RSC theatres and is more convenient for pre theatre dining than many of its natural competitors, such as Pizza Express. Expect it to be busy before 7pm, and although there are plenty of other restaurants in Sheep St, they are likely to be the same, so I’d advise booking. This restaurant is in an old building that is a bit long and thin in shape, but this is likely to be an advantage at busy times, and when you have noisy groups in. I can’t help feeling that the standard Café Rouge theme park French décor inside sits a bit oddly in this building though.
The food is much like any Café Rouge of course, mostly prepared offsite and shipped in to be heated and assembled as required. However, I do think that the standard of ingredients is high enough for most dishes to be pleasant and enjoyable, so provided the service is OK you cannot go seriously wrong. This is the upside of a chain or brand; a decent standardised product that is the same wherever you go, but there is nothing to get particularly excited about either.
I enjoyed one of the current main dishes, Poulet Breton (chicken, mushrooms, leeks, and courgettes with mash for 12.75) which was nice, and large enough not to require a side dish. I also enjoyed some decent Cotes du Gascogne with the meal that costs 5.90 per large glass. The wine list is short but well chosen. Service was very good, and everything arrived promptly and accurately. My second visit to this branch in the last few months, and I expect to be back sometime soon. Note that it closes at 11, so unless your performance finishes quite early, you will not have time to eat here afterwards. The menu changes regularly but a lot of favourites remain, and the overall concept stays the same.
Bargain hunters will not need reminding that there are usually good offers to be had online, including the Tesco scheme if you shop there. This can make a visit here fairly inexpensive, but most offers do not include drinks. It is also worth remembering that you can usually pop in here for a quick snack or light meal, so it is very flexible, unlike some competitors. It wouldn’t be my first choice for a celebration, but it is useful for many other occasions.

• Visited February 2013

“Appalling attitude to food allergies”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Where do I begin. I have an allergy to wheat flour (gluten) and cow's milk. I made this clear in my usual normally totally understood fashion I.e. I am allergic to cow's milk and wheat flour.

The waiter (i think manager) checked twice that he understood my allergies so he could inform the chef (both times with flawed understanding). Despite this my starter, goats cheese salad, emerged as a blue cheese salad, which I am allergic to! I reminded them of this. My goats cheese salad eventually emerged with the explanation as I was allergic to flour they swapped it for the goats cheese. I reminded the waiter again that it was wheat and cows milk I was allergic to. He left.

I took a bite of my goats cheese, swallowed and then discovered the croutons underneath, a bite of which I had already swallowed! Upon telling the waiter, he informed me that as they didn't currently have a gluten free menu because they had just changed the menu, the chef didn't know although he had told him I was allergic to wheat. How can a so called chef not realise that a crouton is made of wheat flour? The waiter then tried to effectively blame it on me, I should have told them I was allergic to gluten not wheat flour. Well I am not allergic to some glutens so this wouldn't be accurate.

We had steak for mains. While the steaks were okay (not worth the price), my husband's chips tasted stale and I couldn't have a sauce as they all contained cow's milk. The waiter did ask whether I wanted the garlic butter sauce though as that only contained butter! I could go on.

Luckily we went there using tesco vouchers so really only had to pay for the wine and they did take off the starters as 'we had to wait for them' (not that they incompetently messed up)'.

After a previous and very similar visit to Cafe Rouge, we will never return. I highly recommend you not come here if you have allergies. While I wouldn't get dangerously ill after consuming an allergen, having friends that would, I do not suggest you take the risk.

2 Thank Karen I
Northampton
“An Excellent Evening”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I ate here on Friday evening having booked a table earlier in the day. It was warm and welcoming, the food was very good and flavoursome as we have come to expect from the cafe rouge chain, and the service was excellent. Only minor gripe my steak had to be returned to be cooked further as I do like it very well done, but this was dealt with efficiently and in a friendly manner.

All in all a very nice night out!

• Visited January 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best Customer service in town!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

In a town where the customer service was excellent everywhere we went - even four days before Christmas - the service here is stand out brilliant. Two frineds having a catch up couple of days away, we popped in after checking in to our hotel for a drink and a snack - we ended up going back both morning's for breakfast and probably would have done dinner too if it wouldn't have looked so sad! The manager, Michal, was wonderful and even remebered our morning coffee orders on the second day. He was unfailingly cheery and we cannot praise him highly enough. The food was good on every occasion we ate there, and for those who say it is overproved and the decor is unattractive - it's standard Cafe Rouge prices and decor;

• Visited December 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Slow service”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This cafe rouge is quite close to the theatre so I imagine it gets busy early evening. The service was very slow at 7pm. The food was good.

Visited December 2012