“Quiet lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cross at Kenilworth

The Cross at Kenilworth
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Kenilworth
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus Stop on New Street
Description: The Cross, Kenilworth is a pub restaurant serving excellent food, cooked by award winning chefs. The Cross started out as an inn back in the 19th century and was recently refurbished to reveal its original features. Expect a warm welcome, friendly service and stunning dishes, cooked using the very best local ingredients.
“Quiet lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Lovely lunch. A little quiet for me, may have been a little early though. Service was very pleasant.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have eaten at The Cross on a couple of occasions recently and found the food to be excellent and the service good. The menu had changed and I didnt feel it was as interesting as in the past. Also unfortunately on our last visit they sat us very near the kitchen which was not the best and my friend was quite annoyed about it so it rather spoilt the evening. It was a Saturday night and they were busy so I will forgive them.

I understand they have been taken over and refurbishment work is going to take place soon. I do hope this will not be reflected in the prices as I already feel it is quite an expensive place with insufficient ambience to justify it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
UK
“Average experience trying to be superior”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We used to frequent the Cross on a regular basis but hadn't been in about 2 years, so when we heard it had been taken over and by one of our favourite restauranteurs, we made a booking. The menu on the website bore no resemblance to the one we were offered sadly. As per the previous reviewers comments, the vegetarian menu is shocking. There were 2 options, both essentially a plate of vegetables with fancy names. The young guy who seemed to be in charge tried to help but came back with another suggestion which was another plate of vegetables. They seemed to have an excess of chick peas as they seem to come with every meal - veggie or not!
The prices are probably the most expensive I have seen in Kenilworth and if they want to charge these prices, they need to have the quality of Harringtons which is what they should be aiming for.
It was one of our parties birthday which they were aware of but no effort was made to celebrate it. Zizzis always provide us with a round of Prosecco if they are aware it is a celebration.
All in all very disappointed and will not be returning even if the did expand the veggie menu which they certainly should

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Scubababe
Coventry
“Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have not been to the Cross for quite a while as the last visit was mediocre in all but the bill.
Knowing that it had changed management to someone i have significant respect for in terms of food quality and restuarant management I was keen to give it a try and so decided to take the opprtunity to visit this evening with my wife.
The ambience and layout has not changed, it is good but not great, best meal I have enjoyed at this venue have actually been when dining outside.
The staff are friendly and attentitive, I suspect that they will not meet the future expectations of the menu/food quality?
Whilst I fully respect the short menu in terms of producing consistent quality great food there are no Vegetarian options on this menu.
As a vegetarian I queried this and was provided with a seperate vegetarian menu.
My Tomato starter was superb.
My Carrot main course was more a tsating menu platter of carrots than a real main course.
My wife who is not a vegetarian had the duck egg with Chorizo starter and the Scallops starter for her main both of which she rated as delicious.
We both had desserts which were very good and ended a really flavoursome meal very well.
Overall I would love to go back soon but the vegetarian menu is too limited.

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Service is the USP but value on the plate must be there too!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Always a delightfully relaxed place to spend an evening, the distinctive edge of the Cross lies in the level of service. The Restaurant Bosquet may always top any local competition for the gourmet laurels and the Almanack offers Kenilworth a good blend of boozy night out and food. But the staff at the Cross manage to convey the impression that they are genuinely glad to see you. My recent visit coincided with a busy night for the restaurant because along with the Friday night crush they also had a wedding party in the function room. Nonetheless, service levels hardly faltered yet the food is the point of it all and must be discussed!

We chose from a short but diverse menu. According to the menu my starter comprised “Seared scallops, curry, coconut, roast cauliflower” but what turned up was closer to scallops in ravioli parcels. This was followed by some of the best lamb I have tasted but my perception was that the dish was mainly accompanied by a lot of chick peas – and not much else. Yet the menu spoke in lavish terms of a dish accompanied by aubergine caviar, piperade, confit tomato, saffron fondant potato. When handing over £90 or so for dinner for two with wine, thoughts naturally begin wander to the slightly less informal Restaurant Bosquet where for a few quid more the lavishness of the menu description is regularly outdone by the cornucopia on the plate!